So, I mostly play metalcore and I know alternate picking riffs is pretty much a must, but I mostly downpick everything. How should I start off learning to do a downpick, then up, then down again etc as it will make playing riffs alot less work for my hands.
its basic practice man. i had the same problem when i started playing guitar that i downpicked everything. but u just have to kick the habit. be conscious of your playing and you will start to subconsciously "up pick" if thats a term lol
www.facebook.com/allbutimpossible

Live Arsenal

Guitars
ESP EC1000 FR
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
ESP H1000 Deluxe
Ibanez RG7321

Amp
Line 6 Valve HD 100 Head
Line 6 Spider Valve 412VS 412 Cab

Misc
Shure PGX14 Wireless
Korg DTR-1000
I had that problem when I first started, but just take a song you know well and slowly work on your alternate picking techs
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
practice alternate picking on one string and go slow then gradually go faster. do that and then try to apply it while playing a song, then it will become natural in time.
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
I don't down pick everything, I alternate picks when chugging, playing chords and that haha, but when I have a riff like -

C#|---------------------------------|
G#|---------------------------------|
E |---------------------------------|
B |---------------------------------|
F#|-----5---7-8-----3---5-7-----3h5-|
B |-0-0---0-----0-0---0-----0-0-----|

I will downpick it all.
Quote by Andrew/WK
I don't down pick everything, I alternate picks when chugging, playing chords and that haha, but when I have a riff like -

C#|---------------------------------|
G#|---------------------------------|
E |-----------------------------------|
B |-----------------------------------|
F#|-----5---7h8-----3---5h7------3h5-|
B |-0-0---0------0-0---0-------0-0-----|

I will downpick it all.

lol parkway drive.

anyways you can also downpick the chug then up pick the F# string in that riff. which would be easier like hes wanting.
i would say to play around with a 6/8 feel up and down the neck and that should get you pretty good with alt picking.

PSN: reldask