It's a great amp for you. Get it.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
The Express is good, but there some better amps for that type of tone in your price range. Try to find a used Mesa Mark III or a Marshall JCM2000 DSL combo. The Express is a good amp, but I would definitely try one of those out before you get one.
no a god amp is like a diezel, a vintage plexi, hiwatt, vintage fender, triple rec. the express is a good amp though
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
The Express series is great man, and I haven't tried a crappy Mesa to date. One notable problem about the 5:25 and the 5:50 is that neither have a presence control, which I personally find important. It's a fantastic practice amp, it's nice for gigging, but really just go try it out and see for yourself.

P.S. Even if you don't like it, it's still about eight steps up from what you're currently playing through. And if you don't like it, play around with some other amps. You'd be surprised how good some of the less expensive amps can be if tweaked properly.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Also, try out the 5:50 version aswell. They use different tubes if im not completly off. 5:25 use el34 and the 5:50 6l6
Quote by Jackamedmos
Also, try out the 5:50 version aswell. They use different tubes if im not completly off. 5:25 use el34 and the 5:50 6l6

The 5:25 uses EL-84s rather than 34s, they allow the amp to run in class A/B at lower wattages when using more than one tube. But yes, the 5:50 does run 6L6s.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
yeah, I love the express amps, but new they're pretty overpriced, especially out of the US - try and get one used if you can. Also, if you can't afford one look at one of the long line of its predecessors such as the F-30, Studio 22/Studio 22+, and my personal favourite the DC-2 and DC-3 amps. None of these have the 5w capability but they're all excellent amps that fit the bill for less. I'd still say go for the express if you can afford it though, they replaced the F series with those Express amps for a good reason

Also, if you start getting into even heavier stuff you'll find it takes a nice boost pedal pretty well.
Quote by Skagasm
a vintage plexi

The ball-less wonders..
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
honestly, I can't believe that many people are in awe about the express... I have played a few times with a 5:50 and honestly, I hated it every time I've played with it... it just sounds so cold in overdrive, the cleans are nice but the gain really disappointed me. It does have a lot of gain, but it's a sterile gain
Quote by Darkflame
honestly, I can't believe that many people are in awe about the express... I have played a few times with a 5:50 and honestly, I hated it every time I've played with it... it just sounds so cold in overdrive, the cleans are nice but the gain really disappointed me. It does have a lot of gain, but it's a sterile gain

+11,000 - by far the worst sounding Mesa I've ever played.

I dunno about the gain though, the ones I've played didn't even have enough for hard rock
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^maybe they had a faulty toob? mine really had plenty, and it was pretty much cranked also, so that's not an excuse...
i could've played metallica no problem on mine (sadly though i don't like metallica --nor any metal band for the matter )

i didn't like it either, but the marshall jvm205 might be worth a look for you, it is insanely versatile, can do cleans and brootz alike
Once again, sounded very very sterile to me, but I know a lot of people have liked it
Last edited by Darkflame at Jul 22, 2010,
Not an outstanding amp, I would go with a Mark IV combo myself, or if you want less gain and more organic tone an Electra-Dyne.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

I almost forgot, a Mesa DC-3/DC-5 should be perfect for both of those styles, and there's a few up on eBay going cheap (Mesa-wise, that is, about $700).