Page 1 of 2
I have a TSL100 and today I noticed the volume dropped slightly while playing. I thought it was the cord so I tried a different one. Still the same. Then when I started playing the volume dropped ALOT. Now, if I turn the volume on any channel all the way up you barley hear it! It is not the speaker cable, guitar or cord from the guitar to the amp.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how I can fix it!? I actually have an Orange and have been trying to sell this one but I can't sell it in the state that it's in...
Last edited by ChrisHolt92 at Jul 21, 2010,
Nope haha. Guitar volume and tone is fully up. I tried 2 guitars also. It's probably a bad tube but I've never had a problem with tubes before so I don't know what tubes it would be.
sounds like a power tube problem. got get a matched set of JJ El34's and come back
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I bought the amp used, and it came with a bunch of spare tubes. I have 2 boxes of matching sets of Mesa Power power tubes. I would really rather not take it to a shop because they all over charge.. Is it easy to replace these power tubes myself? and is there a way to tell which ones I should replace or is it a guessing game?

(btw, I realize I could search these things but hopefully someone will help me out)
I had this problem with my dsl, turned out something had gone wrong and i ended up having to get my tech to rebias my transistor on a certain tube
Gear -

Gibson 1967 flying V (cherry)!

Marshall JCM2000 half stack

Boss SD-1

Check out my Metal band KickFist at www.myspace.com/Kickfist
Quote by ChrisHolt92
I bought the amp used, and it came with a bunch of spare tubes. I have 2 boxes of matching sets of Mesa Power power tubes. I would really rather not take it to a shop because they all over charge.. Is it easy to replace these power tubes myself? and is there a way to tell which ones I should replace or is it a guessing game?

(btw, I realize I could search these things but hopefully someone will help me out)

Although it's fine to not bias your amp, don't put too big of a mismatch in. change ALL the power tubes.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
All of the 4 power tubes in the back of the amp are the same as the spare ones in the boxes. So, would I be able to just take out the old ones and put in what I think are new power tubes? No need for any biasing? and no need for me to take it to a shop?
I smell a tube problem, most likely the power section. If what you DO hear is also accompanied by a lack of highs, muddy chords and the works, I'd suggest perhaps looking at your preamp tubes as well, but these could also be caused by the power section. Also, I agree with Boston (about switching tubes at least, not necessarily JJ's, but something that's not stock Marshall), but then you'd have to re-bias your amp and unless you happen to know how, that'll require a tech.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
From what I've heard, you don't get any sound if there is a blown fuse? I don't know for sure.
^ yeah i'm not positive either but I think you may be right

fire your amp up and take a look at your tubes. what color are they lighting up?

Orange=good
blue=still okay
red=bad
Can someone give me some step by step instructions on how to go about checking tubes out? Something to help me steer clear of any other possible problems while touching any tubes. Like how to take out tubes, how to install, whatever else I have to do.. As I've said I've never had any problems with previous amps so I'm new to this.
don't touch the power tubes. leave that to a professional, the preamp tubes just slip in and out pretty much, with no real adjustments needed. The power tubes need their bias check and possibly readjusted when you replace them. Just go by the color code I posted
Quote by ChrisHolt92
Can someone give me some step by step instructions on how to go about checking tubes out? Something to help me steer clear of any other possible problems while touching any tubes. Like how to take out tubes, how to install, whatever else I have to do.. As I've said I've never had any problems with previous amps so I'm new to this.

It's really simple. take out the four power tubes. slip in the new matched set. it's really simple. contrary to popular belief you don't always have to bias your amp. is it helpful? yes. but not required. just pop the old ones out put some new ones in. see if that solves your problem

for preamp tubes. just tap them all with the eraser end of a pencil. if they make a booming noise or "sproingy" kind of noise they probably need replacing.

for power tubes, if you see any burn marks. or if when the amp is one is a drasticaly different color than the others that is usually a good indicator
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
then its more than likely not a tube problem.

what about the preamp tubes?
there are some models(like the sovtek 12ax7lps) that don't like up at all
Quote by ChrisHolt92
All 4 of the power tubes are the same shade of Orange.

is there burn marks on any of the tubes?

check all your connection to the cab and things. try a new cable. also if you had it mismatched it could be our Output Transformer....that would cost you a lot of money I hope that isn't the problem
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
The 3 little tubes to the left of the power tubes (not sure what they're called..) all light up, but the 2 on the right aren't as bright as the one on the left.
Quote by ChrisHolt92
From what I've heard, you don't get any sound if there is a blown fuse? I don't know for sure.

blown fuse means no power. a blown fuse will mean something else has gone wrong, the fuse blows the prevent the amp from damaging itself anymore. example, i blew a power tube up pretty bad, and the fuse blew
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by ChrisHolt92
The 3 little tubes to the left of the power tubes (not sure what they're called..) all light up, but the 2 on the right aren't as bright as the one on the left.

do what I said, take the eraser end of a pencil and tap it. if it make noise through the cab while the amp is on it's bad.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I did tap the tubes with an eraser and didn't get any unusual sounds. And yes, I did check the speaker cable. I use this same speaker cable with my Orange and it works great. I also tried plugging the head into different cabinets with no change.
did you have the ohm's mismatched? that could ruin your OT and that would explain it.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
it's your tubes. if you have another set just plug them in. if their the same tubes type they have a low chance of redplating. it won't sound good but at least you'll be able to hear it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
it's your tubes. if you have another set just plug them in. if their the same tubes type they have a low chance of redplating. it won't sound good but at least you'll be able to hear it.

I already told him that. he doesn't listen.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I've never messed with tubes before so I'm a little bit scared/worried about ****ing something up.. Not ignoring you but just trying to learn more. So the 3 little tubes.. 2 are dim. Does this mean they are bad/going bad? or do some tubes just not light up as much?
Quote by ChrisHolt92
I've never messed with tubes before so I'm a little bit scared/worried about ****ing something up.. Not ignoring you but just trying to learn more. So the 3 little tubes.. 2 are dim. Does this mean they are bad/going bad? or do some tubes just not light up as much?

well, find out. take em' out and put some new ones in.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
just pull somewhat firmly it's really easy
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
did you have the ohm's mismatched? that could ruin your OT and that would explain it.

this is also important to think about
output transformer isn't exactly a cheap fix either
I took out a power tube.. then realized the power tubes in the mesa boogie boxes are not mesa boogie.. they have a brown ring on the bottom and say made in russia.. I have some electro-harmonix EL34's.. A few are in boxes marked OLD.. but I do have 4 mesa EL34's at the bottom of the box.. they're most likely old too.. worth a try?
Quote by ChrisHolt92
I took out a power tube.. then realized the power tubes in the mesa boogie boxes are not mesa boogie.. they have a brown ring on the bottom and say made in russia.. I have some electro-harmonix EL34's.. A few are in boxes marked OLD.. but I do have 4 mesa EL34's at the bottom of the box.. they're most likely old too.. worth a try?

Not all Mesa tubes are American, they rebrand a lot of their tubes from old Sovteks or Tung Sols. I have several Russian Mesa tubes.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
The tubes in the mesa boxes have a brown ring around the bottom rather than black and it has some sort of a "C" logo and says EL34 made in russia 0407
Ok, I replaced one of the mesa boogie power tubes with a different one that was in the box and it lit up Orange. Then when I flicked the standby switch, the tubes were blue in the center.. whats up with that? man I feel like such a noob..
Page 1 of 2