I know this is a super nooby question, but what's the difference between a fretted and a fretless bass? I got to play a fretless jazz bass today and practically fell in love. I was able to play a few songs fairly perfectly just by being able to tell where my fingers because of the inlays. I'm thinking of taking the frets off my old dean bass to get used to it. But I honestly think a fretless bass would fit my band. Just...I dunno, I felt really comfortable playing Death Metal/Deathcore on a fretless. I didn't get to plug it in, which upset me. But by ear it sounded really good.

EDIT:
Okay, they weren't really inlays. They were little lines where you could see where the frets would be.

This is what I got to play and it sounded heavenly!
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Last edited by Nolanrox at Jul 21, 2010,
Well one has frets and one dosnt. Also frettless gives a way diffrent tone.
current gear:
ld15 amp
fender j bass
sterling ray34
Quote by spoonmeatloaf
Well one has frets and one dosnt. Also frettless gives a way diffrent tone.

Thanks Einstein.
But I want to know what advantages the fretless gives.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Sorry if that wasnt a awnser you were looking for. Frettless i find to be better for jazz or blues. They also have semi-tones, which are tones inbewteen the fretts, or on a fretted tones that you get from bending. when you slide on a frettless it also goes slowly down instead of jumping semi-tones like a freeted. Hope that helped more
current gear:
ld15 amp
fender j bass
sterling ray34
Well it gives you that fretless "mwah", that wonderful fretless tone. Fretless doesn't really give you any advantages, other then being able to play quarter tones relatively easily. Its not better or worse then a fretted bass, it's just a different beast.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thank you Meaty and thank you Tosti. I'm definitely going to go back and try it through an amp so I can test out of the tone and all that jazz. I mean, nobody thought Fender Jazz basses would be used in metal, and now most bassists use them. This is going to be a fun experience.

Also, to get used to fretless basses, should I rip the frets off my oooold dean bass?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Sure. But i would get someone that know how to take fretts off do it. If not you may mess up the neck or something.
current gear:
ld15 amp
fender j bass
sterling ray34
I'll see if I can get someone to do it. Maybe there's a tutorial of it or something.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
^ There are lots of tutorials about it online. Ask in GB&C and they'll give you some good answers, and there are several of us right here on the bass forum that have gone through that defretting process.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
If you search using the search bar, there are a few threads on how others have done it over the past 4 years. My fav is Jazz Rock Feel who literally takes you through the best and the worst of the process.

You really need to play one plugged into get the sound difference. And it is different--the mwah is the great appeal but it doesn't work for all situations.
I'm watching a bunch of videos on youtube and I fell in love. I think with the right amp and a tad bit of distortion, I could get an amazing tone.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
fretless really does give you different tonal possibilities. I use mine at church for a more classical sound and a great rhythmic thump on the latin stuff we play. As far as getting used to it it's fairly easy, chording's the hardest part i think but with practice you can get it no problem.
no sig for joo
As far as I know you just have to be more precise with your fingerings, and its a lot quieter compared to a fretted bass. And they're a lot more fun to slide around on..
---------------------------
Here have a waffle!
(>^_^)>#
slapping is not recomended on a fretless for the most part. les claypool disagrees, but yeah, just sayin.
no sir away a papaya war is on