First post!

I'm putting together a Warmoth 7-string. I was dismayed by how far from the neck they routed for the neck pickup. Comparing it to my other guitars, it looks like the neck pickup will interfere with my picking. Plus I'd like to have as bluesy a tone as possible, which means the neck pickup should be as close to the neck as possible.

But they're telling me that routing the neck pickup cavity any closer to the neck will risk stressing and then breaking the wood by the lower horn. Doesn't make much sense to me, as the neck is bolted to the body with 4 screws through the back of the neck pocket, and so I can't imagine it putting that much pressure on the wood in front of it. I'm sure if one wanted to, one could even bolt the neck with a millimeter of space between the end of the neck and the front of the neck pocket.

But I'm no expert.

Below is a pic, and keep in mind the scale length is a short 25".

So what do you think? Can they safely move the neck pickup cavity closer to the neck?

Last edited by jscomposer at Jul 21, 2010,
You should be fine. My 7 string build was probly half that width between the neck pickup and the neck pocket. I've had no problems whatsoever and it sounds wonderful.
that looks about as close as you can get it man. i would listen to them and not try to go any farther, the edge of the cavity is damn close to the horn, and so close that even if you did move it, it wouldnt be by much.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Here's another pic. The upper edge of the neck pickup cavity is currently 1/2" away from the edge of the fretboard. Looks to me like they could easily get it within 1/4", no? (BTW, there's no fretboard overhang.)

I see a consensus building... not in my favor!

What do you think of this...

It's their carved top 7-string with a neck pickup rout that looks awfully close to the neck pocket, certainly closer than on the flat-top 7-string. How is this OK by their own logic?
Quote by jscomposer
I see a consensus building... not in my favor!

What do you think of this...

It's their carved top 7-string with a neck pickup rout that looks awfully close to the neck pocket, certainly closer than on the flat-top 7-string. How is this OK by their own logic?

I feel your pain, as much as I love my warmoth guitar, there are certain things about the company which are kind of aggravating.

Why don't you just ask their customer service people this very question, using the S/S/H pic to reinforce your argument?
Because the body you have has a deeper cutaway, so the pickup rout would go through the side. Plus I think they are just trying to protect themselves in case you try it and f*&k it up, their bodies are routed by CNC, compared to CNC, routing by hand is dangerous. I'm pretty sure thats what they meant, so they dont get sued if you screw it up or injure yourself.
Quote by Schism1985
I feel your pain, as much as I love my warmoth guitar, there are certain things about the company which are kind of aggravating.

Why don't you just ask their customer service people this very question, using the S/S/H pic to reinforce your argument?

I did. And they didn't have an answer. :/

I even offered to relinquish the warranty if they'd just do what I ask and rout the neck pickup cavity closer. The guy said he'd ask the production manager--who's apparently REALLY afraid to do this--and get back to me tomorrow...

Quote by littlephil
Because the body you have has a deeper cutaway, so the pickup rout would go through the side. Plus I think they are just trying to protect themselves in case you try it and f*&k it up, their bodies are routed by CNC, compared to CNC, routing by hand is dangerous. I'm pretty sure thats what they meant, so they dont get sued if you screw it up or injure yourself.

They did say they'd have to rout it by hand. And as far as I can tell, there's at least 1/4" of room to make it closer, and still not be as close as in that pic of their carved top 7-string with the single coil neck pickup cavities.
Last edited by jscomposer at Jul 21, 2010,
if you really want to do it, you could always try. Just be really careful, there isnt much room for error, i think thats why they dont want to risk it.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Well, after some tinkering around and taking measurements on my other guitars, I've determined that the only real solution for me here is a neck single coil rout. The short scale, 24 frets, and extra deep cutaway force the neck humbucker to interfere with my picking, even if they were to move it up a bit. And I ain't changing my picking.
Do it! Real mean take chances! Punch a whale, wrestle a bear, don't pull out! Aarrggghhh, testosterone!
Does the body have the beveled heel? If it does they might be thinking things are just getting to thin in that critical area with 7 strings pulling on things.
What they should've done was route the neck pocket 1/4" further into the body, then move the bridge pickup and bridge down 1/4".

But, that's just my opinion.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
Just a thought, but surely if you're using mounting rings to mount those pickups, the rings would start to cover the round on the edge if it was any closer?
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by Baconfish
Just a thought, but surely if you're using mounting rings to mount those pickups, the rings would start to cover the round on the edge if it was any closer?

I'm not using pickup rings.

Quote by Handgrenade
What they should've done was route the neck pocket 1/4" further into the body, then move the bridge pickup and bridge down 1/4".

But, that's just my opinion.

Exactly.

Quote by Tackleberry
Does the body have the beveled heel? If it does they might be thinking things are just getting to thin in that critical area with 7 strings pulling on things.

They actually mentioned that, but their other 7-string body comes with a contoured heel and they rout the neck pickup much closer to the neck.

Quote by Kcintlob
Do it! Real mean take chances! Punch a whale, wrestle a bear, don't pull out! Aarrggghhh, testosterone!

Last edited by jscomposer at Jul 22, 2010,