I've nearly got enough money for my bass and such, I'm super stoked to start, hoping to order in the next week. But I was wondering what else I need besides a base, amp, and cables?

I haven't been able to find a teacher, so a good book world probably be best for me. I can read music in bass clef perfectly, thanks to about 7 years of trombone playing ha, so any music that incorporates sheet music, (i.e. NOT tabs) would be a big asset. I was considering the Hal Leonard Bass Method book. I had a little experience with their basic acoustic guitar book back when i took a group class where the teacher was on more drugs than your average rapper and was no help at all.

A case seems too pricey to invest in at the moment. I understand that protected my bass is very important, but it wont be leaving my room for quite some time, I can pick up a gig bag if I really must, but I'm thinking a stand would be best for now?

So currently I'm buying a Peavey Millenium BXP 4-string, Fender Rumble 15 amp, or higher wattage if I can find one used, some kind of cable, i need recomendations on brands.....

Anything I have missed?? And thanks for the help you guys, this forum is a great resource, I love reading stuff here, even though I hardly post ha
You might want to get a strap so you can practice standing up, and it'll just be easier to move around with it. Monster and Mogami are both great brands of cables and Monster has a lifetime warranty with every cable so if it ever stops working or breaks, they'll replace it. A stand is a must so you can keep it in good shape. A gig bag will probably be fine since you're not transporting it places. You might want picks, but most bassists use they're fingers. Other than that, I think you're good

Edit: Im not sure about books since I'm a guitar player. I played baritone horn for 4 years so I can read bass clef, but it's hard for me to transfer to treble clef. I wish Id played trumpet or something since guitar is treble clef Hal Leonard usually puts out good stuff so that'd be ur best bet.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Jul 21, 2010,
A tuner's always handy to have, unless you can tune by ear fairly well.
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
Oh ya a tuner lol forgot that. Korg handhelds are good.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Headphones if you need to practice in the quiet, and a cable to possibly connect your computer or mp3 player to your amp. It really helps when playing along with songs or watching instruction videos.
Quote by GibsonMan321
You might want to get a strap so you can practice standing up, and it'll just be easier to move around with it. Monster and Mogami are both great brands of cables and Monster has a lifetime warranty with every cable so if it ever stops working or breaks, they'll replace it. A stand is a must so you can keep it in good shape. A gig bag will probably be fine since you're not transporting it places. You might want picks, but most bassists use they're fingers. Other than that, I think you're good

Edit: Im not sure about books since I'm a guitar player. I played baritone horn for 4 years so I can read bass clef, but it's hard for me to transfer to treble clef. I wish Id played trumpet or something since guitar is treble clef Hal Leonard usually puts out good stuff so that'd be ur best bet.

Yeah I forgot about a strap, thats a must, just hope I can get one cheap. And as for the treble clef thing, I know what you mean, its a pain to try to transfer clefs, it kinda put me off of guitar, its so hard to train your mind a different way after its been in one for so long. I have the matter of tuners settled, just about my whole family is musical, we have at least 3 nice tuners and metronomes sitting around the house ha. And for a mp3 cable do I just need a basic audio input cable? And how much would your average Monster or Mogami cable run? Do i need gold plated? Or is that just a way they jack up the price?
Get a goods strap. It will help your playing by freeing up your fretting hand to fret and not have to hold up the bass as well. And a good one will save your back in the long run.

You don't need a gold plated cable but a good one is ideal. You'll end up spending more replacing cheap cables over and over again than you would on one good quality cable.

Get a good loud metronome. The louder the better. The old Boss metronome we had works ok for guitar but its hard to hear over bass.

And I would strongly recommend getting the Hal Leonard Bass Method I-III combo book with the CDs. It will get you on the right path. And if a teacher is too pricey at this time, at least get some face time with a solid experienced player, who can set you right on good technique and approach.
Quote by anarkee
Get a goods strap. It will help your playing by freeing up your fretting hand to fret and not have to hold up the bass as well. And a good one will save your back in the long run.

You don't need a gold plated cable but a good one is ideal. You'll end up spending more replacing cheap cables over and over again than you would on one good quality cable.

And I would strongly recommend getting the Hal Leonard Bass Method I-III combo book with the CDs. It will get you on the right path. And if a teacher is too pricey at this time, at least get some face time with a solid experienced player, who can set you right on good technique and approach.

Is this the book set? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hal-Leonard-Electric-Bass-Method-Composite-Book-Pack-900283-i1156384.gc its got a great price, I think the one I was looking at was just book 1 of this, and it cost $20 so if its the same stuff then its a steal. Any brands that I should avoid on straps?
Get some picks, I would say about 0.81mm thick at the very least, or they will snap. It's good to be able to play compotently, so practicing with a pick as well as your fingers will help you improve as a bassist.

I assume you have a music stand from playing trombone, but in case you havent, I would recommend one.

For straps, I would recommend to get an expensive one, because they are more likely to be strong and probably more comfortable. By expensive I mean like £10 and up at least.

Maybe a hand exerciser strengthening thing.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Yes--but make sure it has the CDs that go along with the book.

And brands. I would recommend anything that isn't under 2 1/2 inches and that is too thin in thickness. I personally like Levy's straps, but they are a bit expensive.
Alright, I figured it all up, and its going to be around $400. I have the money, but thats a little more than I'd like to spend. I will spend it, but anything to get it cheaper would be helpful. I looked into used basses a little, found this one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schecter-Omen-4-4-String-Bass-Guitar-/140429348899?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item20b23dd023#ht_550wt_1139

I absolutely love wooden bodies with the curves and everything, I know schecter stilettos are a solid series, how about the omen? any other reccomended ones I could try to find used for around $200-$250?
Looks pretty good but it might be a bad idea to show everyone here because they may want it more than you. If you catch my drift.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
To the comment about wishing they'd played trumpet so they could read treble... Yes you could read treble clef, but trumpet doesn't play in the concert key... But thats a matter for another thread.

Yeah stuff's pretty much been said, strap, tuner, metronome are all MUSTS. 1 or 2 extra cables is helpful. other than that, as long as you have a bass and something to amplify the sound and a cord to pull the 2 together, you're set.

Don't get a hand exerciser thing, or one of those finger strengtheners. It's a one-way road to tendonitis. They're really pointless. If your fingers aren't strong enough or have enough stamina to play the bass. Here's an idea: PLAY THE ****ING BASS.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Jul 26, 2010,