My friends have been doing this competition thing where we compare highschools that we went to
Im in college now so we got people from different highschools from different provinces (I live in Canada)
People were talking about how they had a good basketball team or that they had a like a good music program and band program and all that...

Makes me wonder since music for me is limited to guitar which is also self-taught...
is there value in physical education/music and all that extra stuff in high school?
How far can you go with learning music at highschool anyways?
Should there be more focus on academic courses like Math and English? (I personally dont care for math but English I think we need improvement and not in immigrants or international students but native speakers)

I think PE is okay but it shouldnt be a large focus and I dont think there should be a huge investment on music since kids who are going to do it in future have lessons outside of school and dont really need to do it at school.

Am I making wrong assumptions?
My high school used to destroy every other school in pretty much every sport.

Dunno if its still like that though.
MATTERHORN
My high school has really really really good sports the music programs are pretty good too. But math and science are horrid at my high school. We dont have to take gym in my school. If you get signed for doing 30 hours of physical activity then you dont have to take gym its pretty awesome.
@HeWent2Jared_
My school sucked unless it had anything to do with Drama or piano.

Basically every cent of funding went towards the Drama club, chorus, and the like..

Goffstown High School is pretty sh*tty. Add low test scores to that, and that cuts funding every year. I'm glad I dropped out to be honest.
The way they teach math is stupid, English at my highschool was fine, and I was also belssed with faculty that valued the arts.

I think there should be a lot more focus on things like Music, Art, and Phsyical Education than there currently is in most schools.
I go to High School next year (I know...) but I don't understand the whole school pride thing. I guess you have to give your school props, but it's almost like patriotism, the blind support of something just because you belong to it. I dunno.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
My highschool has a guitar teacher who has never played guitar before.. Only clarinet. Cause you know they're so similar.

My highschool is pretty much the best at most things in the state/upper east coast. We have one of the best music programs, THE best lax team in the country, a huge computer studies program(people have gotten hired by microsoft before graduating)and we throw the best parties.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
^^Sounds good. Much better than my air conditioner-less shitty pothead wanna be thug crapass school

my high school sucks
they cut the music program this year
the basics are fine but thats only in the ap classes the normal classes kinda suck although thats mostly students fault
a lot of my favorite teachers had to leave cause of budget cuts
Quote by MinterMan22
My highschool has a guitar teacher who has never played guitar before.. Only clarinet. Cause you know they're so similar.

The Guitar Lab teacher, Mr. McKernnan (Or however it was spelled) had never touched a guitar before. Plus, he's an egotistical ass.
My highschool didn't win a football game for 8 years and when they finally did the school was on Good Morning America.

Some idiot had the idea to build the school on a swamp so it was sinking every year. The parking lott used to be level now it was basically a huge hill.

My school was built in the 50s..... the tennis court wasn't level it was wavy because the school was sinking. I know many people who got injured on that court.

But hey Randy Couture went to my school, that's a good thing, right?
Quote by MinterMan22

I see you're from Toronto too; what school?
MATTERHORN
My high school is somehow one of the "top 5% of schools from from newsweek" and half of the school is either stoned or drunk. We had really good sports teams besides for the past 2 years. Also the school has alot of drama and almost everybody didnt communicate that much with eachother :/
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
I think that people overvalue the importance of grades and how well kids do in class. For instance. The people that do the best generally devote their entire lives to school, they don't have that many friends and they don't do extracurriculars. Sure they're very smart, but:

They aren't in good shape
They lack social skills
They don't learn some of the lessons that others do.

If you don't know how to deal with people, which is something you really have to do in highschool, you're going to have problems later in life, no matter how smart you are. Life is easier if you have good people skills, and sure, you may never create a new element, but in the end, what does that person have to show for their creation? No doubt it took years of practice and study and attempts, but in the end they spent all their time doing that and had no time to socialize and really enjoy life, and while they will be remembered by a specific community of people for a while, they have wasted most of their life that they should have enjoyed more.

The health issue is another one, you can be the smartest person in the world, but that won't protect you from heart disease if you don't do anything to prevent it.

There are also situations in which the smarter kid won't go as far as the kid who didn't do as well in school but did extracurriculars and had a good social life. What if your high paying job requires that you deal with people a lot? Obviously, the person who has had more social interaction over the years will perform better at this job, and there are a lot of jobs like that.

That is the way I see it. There is a lot of noise made about grades, but people don't think about the other stuff that has a negative impact on grades, but a positive impact on other things that are just as important in some cases.

EDIT: Also, we suck at football (American) but we're good at girls lacrosse, water polo, men's basketball. As far as the other sports go, I'm not sure. Academically speaking, my school is one of the best in the country, including private schools.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
Last edited by ninjaapirate at Jul 22, 2010,
From what I can remember there were always fights between the mexicans and blacks (seriously, ALL 4 YEARS that I went there), The guitar teacher I had was well educated in his music teachings but sadly he got the pink slip, and the soccer, American football, and wrestling teams made it to regionals alot. Other than that, not much else could be praised.
My high school is awful. Like easily the worst as far as programs, grades, extra-curriculars, etc go in the district.

EDIT: Also, lack of dateable girls. Although the longer I go ronery, the more I'm starting to realize that my standards may be too high.
Last edited by Doppelgänger at Jul 22, 2010,
What is the point of highschool?
Isnt it seen as a transition to college so you can get a shitty degree and get a shitty job and not go homeless?
By investing in other extracurricular activities like music and sports, are you teaching students 'social skills'?
I agree that grades are somewhat overrated and it is sad to see some overachieving kids go mental for grades but arent grades what colleges and universities look at?
If that is the case, shouldnt there be an investment in academic subjects like math and english?

I am not sure anymore
When I got into college, the majority of kids I met are spoiled with no sense of direction and they are just pumping drinks while wasting their parents money
I think soon these kids will get a shitty degree and be useless in society
I guess the exceptions and the minority are the ones who make this world go around
I miss highschool
my school kicked ass in theatre and drama and the drama teacher really helped some of us who auditioned for theatre schools

on a related note i was the only one who was rejected from various theatre schools not once but five times everyone else got accepted on their first try, reality is a bitch
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
My school's science department is full of whackjobs, and all the cool teachers are in the history department.

And the girls at my school outnumber the guys at least 3:1. It's crazy.
Well, just for the record, most music training in high school doesn't transfer over to colleges, simply because they want to see how you perform with their standards. I mean, most colleges don't even accept fives on tests like the AP Music Theory exam. So that's limited in general, unless you're in a star band program that has connections. Which my small, country high school did, somehow.

We also had a full farm on our campus and subsequently one of the best, if not the best, AG programs in the state, which got us recognition. We had a championship baseball team and the 2nd best baseball field in the state (yes, they rank the fields, apparently). Our wrestling program was also the best AA program in the state and we won the championship three out of my four years. We were killer.

As for learning, we had some amazing teachers, but I don't think we had any state recognitions or anything.

It was built in the 60s and still is the better of the two high schools in the county, the other being the more liberal one across town, built in like, 2001. We also weren't all assholes, like they were. I had a great high school.
Quote by coffeewithouttv
What is the point of highschool?
Isnt it seen as a transition to college so you can get a shitty degree and get a shitty job and not go homeless?
By investing in other extracurricular activities like music and sports, are you teaching students 'social skills'?
I agree that grades are somewhat overrated and it is sad to see some overachieving kids go mental for grades but arent grades what colleges and universities look at?
If that is the case, shouldnt there be an investment in academic subjects like math and english?

I am not sure anymore
When I got into college, the majority of kids I met are spoiled with no sense of direction and they are just pumping drinks while wasting their parents money
I think soon these kids will get a shitty degree and be useless in society
I guess the exceptions and the minority are the ones who make this world go around
I miss highschool

Sure, you can't bomb HS and expect to go somewhere in life. I'm thinking of around 2 paths here for people of slightly above average intelligence:

Path 1: 4.0 GPA, no social skills, get into Ivy League or equivalent, go on to have a good job that you may be happy with, but other than your job have a pretty empty life, because that is the only thing that you know. It's possible that you could live the saying "ignorance is bliss" but the fact of the matter is that there will be a lot more people who are happier than you are.

Path 2: 3.0-3.7 or so GPA, social skills, get into a decent or even pretty good college, get a decent middle class job, hell, maybe a very good job that relies on social skills, like running a successful car dealership, being a salesman, or running your own major company, and have a good time with your life, build a happy family, have great friends, meet new people a lot, go out and do stuff other than your job, because you have the social skills that you learned in highschool. You know things other than work/school.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
Last edited by ninjaapirate at Jul 22, 2010,
My school's guitar teacher is awesome. He's actually played the guitar since his early teens, and he's probably like in his 40's now. He's also the audio production teacher. i learned everything I know about recording and live sound systems from him.
Quote by coffeewithouttv
but arent grades what colleges and universities look at?

What if you're going to College for something like Music? Or pehaps you want to go into something like Graphic Design, Motion Graphics, or 3D Modeling/Texturing/Lighting etc?

There are plenty of careers that aren't based on Academic grades.
Our school has many programs for students, we have an academic excellence program, sports excellence, music excellence and a performing arts excellence, I'm pretty sure we have dance excellence as well.
Our school pretty much demolishes others in sport and we're pretty high up academically too.
The school's still a hole though
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
I go to a pretty damn good school in Sydney. One of the best in terms of its not full super smart people who have no social lives, or full of people who don't care about school and fail etc etc, somewhere in the middle . We have a brilliant music department with loads of good equipment, maths, english, history, economics, legal, english, languages, all are filled with absolutely brilliant teachers. Sports... we could be better, although with the way the younger years are coming in, sports is probably going to decline as its filling up with asian nerds who can't even walk around the school without collapsing...
Quote by Riffofthebeast
hitler could have conquered the entire world if he just sent an assasin to every enemy country and have their leader assasinated
Quote by Pencil Man
I go to High School next year (I know...) but I don't understand the whole school pride thing. I guess you have to give your school props, but it's almost like patriotism, the blind support of something just because you belong to it. I dunno.

i admired you so much!

OT: my school is good at ...stuff. i have no idea what but they are good at it.... i think
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
my high school was kinda famous because our football team holds the record for longest winning streak in any sport at high school, college, or pro level.

it was a private school though so pretty much everything about it was good.
Go Veg.
I disagree with the people in this thread stating that the really smart kids have no social lives and their lives are empty. I take honors and AP classes in high school and I always have A's. Still, I have quite a few friends. (Mostly honors kids) Most of my friends also mainly focus on school but we don't sit around and study all day. That is a little stereotypical. We do study and do homework and shit but then we have fun and usually party all weekend. It a pretty good balance. Also, in this thread, someone said that the smart kids don't do extracurriculars and are out of shape. About 90% of honors kids do extracurricular activities and are in great shape.

Anyway to relate to this thread, my high school has great track & field program, but most of our other sports are bad. We have a lot of elective classes so you can choose to take more math, english, music, and other such classes. It is not bad.

Okay that is all.

Silvertone Bluesmaster SSLA-30
Samick Revolver Bass
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
my high school was in the top 10 for exam results in the country IIRC
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
My highschool football team:
Freshman: Lost Every Game
Sophmore: Got some good plays, made State Playoffs
Junior: Same good players, won State Championship or something, never paid too much attention, point is we won some type of championship.
Senior: Lost good players, lost every game.

Also, there was a bomb threat there in 2005, the two people involved were arrested. No one showed up on the planned day though.