i wanna practice with my 6505+ head without destroying my families hearing but dont want to sacrifice my tone, if i connected a volume pedal to my heads out and connected the volume to the cab, would this upset the balance of ohms, lol i dont wanna upset the ohms man, and would it do allow me to crank the pre and post gain so i can find a good tone or would it destroy my sound
Take that pedal out of there now. You could end up frying the output transformer. That is NOT what a volume pedal is for.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Your pedal will NOT work like that!!! It will fry the pedal and the OT. Your best bet would be to get an attenuator, which is designed to do what you want your volume pedal to do without exploding.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
just crank up the amp and use the volume pedal before everything like you are supposed to and very gently rock it up enough to hear your sound. Depending upon how sensitive the pedal is this could be a quick fix
I'm getting a bit tired of this. You can't run your 6505 at bedroom levels without sacrificing some tone. For starters, a speaker moving full extension is going to sound different to one that's hardly moving at all. Do what you are planning and you will blow up the pedal which will in turn blow up the amp.
Buy a headphone amp like an Amplug or a Pod and stop living in a fairyland.

PS: Attenuators won't do it either, that's not what they were designed to do. They are supposed to make an amp already turned up loud work even harder. They don't make a 100W amp sound like a 5W amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 22, 2010,
If youre just practicing at home, why is tone such a big deal, im sure it sounds fine a bit lower, i play my Mark IV at home and my tone, while not as good when cranked, is fine.
Quote by Arterial
If youre just practicing at home, why is tone such a big deal, im sure it sounds fine a bit lower, i play my Mark IV at home and my tone, while not as good when cranked, is fine.

+1000
I used a 100W JCM900 as my practice amp for years.

Now kiddies, remember - self-indulgence is a vice. Do it it too often and you'll go blind.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
6505's are one the few amps that actually sound good at low volumes as well.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Why do you folks use 100W amps for bedroom practice?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
It'll very hard to get a good tone at low volumes, but again it depends what low volumes means to you. Where I am living at right at the moment, no way in hell could I get one, where as at my old apartment, I could actually get one passable. Really depends on a few factors and what your neighbours are like and how well noise carries where you live.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Because it sounds better than a Spider?

At low volumes these high wattage tube amps, which are meant to be cranked, sound no better than equivalent modeling gear. At least to my ears.

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
If you can't get a good tone from a 6505+ at low volumes you're doin it wrong simple as that

That doesn't contradict what I said earlier.

If you want to argue semantics, the 6505+ is a high gain amp designed for modern high gain music. Modern high gain music is generally tight and lacks power amp distortion that is signature to classic rock. This is also the reason the 6505+ is high wattage, because the headroom is there for a reason. The reason is to avoid power tube distortion as Peavey themselves designed it to. There is method to their madness. The 6505+ is meant to utilize the terrific pre amp distortion is possesses.

Power amp distortion = tube sag = muddiness = loose bottom end = not great for what the amp was designed for
Quote by Mad Marius
At low volumes these high wattage tube amps, which are meant to be cranked, sound no better than equivalent modeling gear. At least to my ears.

hmm. really? all high wattage tube amps are meant to be cranked?
why have a master volume? Why have 4 preamp gain stages? Why place most of the voicing controls in the preamp stage?

Not all amps are designed for power tube distortion or breakup.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
wow thanks for the replies but some of you guys are just being lil anus heads. lol dont worry i didnt actually try the volume pedal thing, it just popped in my head the other day, and makes resonable sense, if you could take down the output volume of the already cranked signal i thought it might work, but i understand it could fry it now so ill have to refrain. Also why wouldn't i want to play it at a bedroom level? id love if it was flexible enough to blast at venues and play with a similar tone at lower volumes, however as someone mentioned, these tubes were meant to be cranked, not all tube amps, but the 6505+, definitely to get the full effects of those tubes. And also wtf thinks 6505+ has good tone at a standard low volume, and is your hearing aid functioning properly? Slow your rolls though guys the question has been answered.
Mine is pretty good sounding on lowish levels (still pretty loud with the post on 1 though, the minimum for me to get any decent tone) but is only 60w. Still it's a lot better sounding on 5.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jul 22, 2010,
Yea but 6505s don't have to be pushed, that's the whole point.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Get a weber mass attenuator, profit. I can squash even the splawn down to bedroom levels with it. True story
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Mad Marius

borderline dumbest thing i've ever read.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.