I didn't really know where to put this so its in here.

I need to get some good studio headphones for the course I'm doing at Uni. The tutor recommended Sennheiser HD 202's, but he said if I were to go further they wouldnt be good for long.

So I have had a look, I want to stick to the Sennheiser HD range. I just dont know which ones to get. The 3 I am debating over are the HD 515's, HD 555's and HD 595's.

Could you please help me out?? I am pretty darn keen on the HD 595's but are the other ones better? Im just not sure.
I read great reviews about the AKG brand and decided to buy one. I dont know if it's well known or not, but they sound amazing.

The bass is great and it's more than what you need for recording and monitoring. It picks up sounds that my 2.1 system doesnt. I'd definitely recommend them. I got the K44 model for around 40 dollars (I dont remember exactly).

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
Last edited by haceteunosmates at Jul 22, 2010,
What purpose are they serving? This is the biggest question you should be asking yourself. Then decide from there.

If you are mixing audio, best way to go is near-field monitors.

if you are just using them for tracking, then headphones are the perfect solution.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by MightyOwned
Audio Technica ATH-M50's.

I've heard good things about the M50's, and Beyerdynamic DT770's are always a good choice.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Brendan.Clace
What purpose are they serving? This is the biggest question you should be asking yourself. Then decide from there.

If you are mixing audio, best way to go is near-field monitors.

if you are just using them for tracking, then headphones are the perfect solution.

bingo!

The headphones are for......?
We all got asked to get them because we will be doing stuff in the studios at Uni. Will be doing everything, recording, mixing, tracking. And I will be using them at home also for recording and just general listening.
senheisser hd25s would be aporopriate for you
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by akaPeach
mixing... tracking....just general listening.

Three entirely different purposes. You need at least two different pairs for this.

Basically, you can track with anything. For tracking I have a pair of $20 phones that have a mono/stereo switch and are loud as bombs. They're also closed phones, which helps to minimize leakage into the studio. Very heavy on the mids, but you're tracking, so... who cares?

But a great pair of phones is a pair that you will not enjoy general listening on, and a pair that you will really enjoy general listening on will be crap for mixing.

That all said, I should caution you that mixing on headphones should be a very distant second choice behind mixing on proper monitors.

My 'surgical' phones are AKG K240's, which run a little over $200. They're not flattering for listening, (very very flat = very very boring) but if there is a rough spot in your edit... you'll catch it with these or you won't catch it on anything.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.