Hey guys,

About 3-4 months ago I decided to try and pick up guitar again (had been playing for a year and dropped it ) after really wanting to play some great songs, so as of right now I am self taught and will probably be staying that way for a while as school and work eat up a lot of time.

For those 3-4 months I've just been playing songs I really enjoy and getting back into playing again, but after hearing some songs I cant find any tabs for, I finally decided I want to progress past just playing tabs I find online and be able to play songs by ear.

Currently I have really been focusing on finger dexterity, picking etc... so I have not learned any scales or a lot of chords and music theory yet. What steps would you recommend I take so I can eventually be able to play songs by ear and get better overall
you could learn a bit of theory like the chords and some scales specifically the major and minor scale and learn some chord progressions
once you learn how notes work toghether it would be easier to know which notes are being played
Do you have any tutorials/lessons on basic theory that you'd suggest? Trying to set up a bit of a plan for learning theory, scales and more chords (as there is a lot to learn).

Btw, I remember learning other scales such as Ionian, Mixolydian etc..., how important are these compared to learning the major and minor scales?

Thanks for the reply!
Quote by Thefox14
Do you have any tutorials/lessons on basic theory that you'd suggest? Trying to set up a bit of a plan for learning theory, scales and more chords (as there is a lot to learn).

Btw, I remember learning other scales such as Ionian, Mixolydian etc..., how important are these compared to learning the major and minor scales?

Thanks for the reply!

Ionian and Mixolydian (along with the other modes) ARE the major and minor scales, just different variations of them. Specifically, they have a different root note, but otherwise use all of the same notes. It would be like starting the alphabet on L instead of A. They're not really the same thing, just a more advanced application of the major and minor scales. Long story short, you should learn the major and minor scales first. Learn about the different keys, what makes up a chord, etc., THEN move on to modes.