Poll: Who influenced you to play a Les Paul?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who influenced you to play a Les Paul?
Jimmy Page
53 51%
Slash
59 57%
Billy Gibbons
7 7%
Pete Townshend
9 9%
Ace Frehley
5 5%
Randy Rhoads
18 17%
Joe Perry
10 10%
Les Paul
14 13%
Buckethead
17 16%
Duane Allman
11 11%
Voters: 104.
Page 1 of 2
i just vaguely remember les paul's being awesome and cool. I wasn't much of a guitar player when I bought mine. I just thought the double cut lp looked so awesome.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
nobody influenced me to get a les paul. If anything, it was all the negativity about gibson on UG that made me play the les paul i ended up buying in a shop thinking "lolol i hear gibson sucks lately especially the low end models this'll be hilarious" and discovering it was actually a very nicely built guitar with a lot of character and a particular charm to it that i just couldn't resist, and another discovery i made that day was to completely ignore anything anyone says on UG

I'm actually not a big fan of les pauls at all - i just like my les paul. but that's about the only one i actually like.

also, poll fail because if anyone had inspired me to play les pauls, it certainly was none of those guys
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 22, 2010,
If it had to be anyone it'd actually have to be Björn Gelotte. I was never a fan of the LP-shape, but after seeing it that many times I started warming up to it, and especially the black with gold hardware and binding, and ended up buying an LP-shape with those exact colors.
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
Zakk wylde (not on the poll) and dave navarro holding one in one hand and a gun in the other on a guitar world cover back in the day....I wish I still had one....maybe someday I'll hit the lottery and get another
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
nobody. i played one, and i liked it. now im saving up for one
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Jimmy page for sure. Does anyone know which stock LP comes closest to his?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
I thought Rhoads played a Flying V. o_o Anyways, I wasn't fussy on them in the first place, then I saw Jimmy Page with one, and decided I'd try one. I ended up walking away with an SG on my mind instead, but...I played one for Jimmy, I guess. XD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I just thought: "man, les pauls look sexy as hell", and then the sound blew me over too xDD
Duane Allman had more talent in 4 moustache hairs that the entire rest of that list.
SMILE!
I don't play a Les Paul :|
But nobody really influenced to play any type of guitar
It's more what they play then the guitar they play
None of the above..
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Slash mostly, Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, and also Travis Stever.

Oh also Mark Tremonti, just not the Gibson LP.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Duane Allman had more talent in 4 moustache hairs that the entire rest of that list.

Lol the entire list? Really?he was great and all but.....

Quote by Enix165
I thought Rhoads played a Flying V. o_o
the first record is pretty much all his white les paul custom....check out the video "ozzy:after hours"

Richie Sambora, mostly. Joe Perry second.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jul 22, 2010,
From those in the poll, definitely Page and Slash & Bucket to a lesser extent. BTW I played Bucket's signature a few days back and thought the 27 inch scale was great. It felt much better than the Slash Appetite LP next to it.
None of those. I saw Tony Pizutti from The Word Alive (yeah I know you doon;t know of them but I don't care) shreding on a Gibson Les Paul Studio and he was sweep picking extremely fast and watching a Celtics game and not even looking at the guitar at all and it was perfect sweeping. It just made Les Pauls cooler for me. I always liked Les Pauls after trying a few at a local guitar center through a Mesa Boogie (METAL TONE OMG AWESOME LOL) and that kinda mde it so I wanted to save up and buy one. Yeah I'm done rambling now
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
No artist particularly turned me onto les pauls, I've always just liked them. I guess if any that fueled any sort of obsession it was Jimmy Page.
Quote by teamhex
Jimmy page for sure. Does anyone know which stock LP comes closest to his?
The Page custom authentic from 2005. You can find one used, but they generally command pretty high prices.

Otherwise, no real les paul currently offered by Gibson really comes close. The Page model from 2005 had a specific neck that no other les paul has. It has a really weird taper, its really thin in the middle but gets fatter near the nut and heel. Other than that it also has "custom" burstbuckers which I hear are just the normal burstbuckers with A3 magnets. Page's current pickups are believed to be the original PAF that measures 8.2k in the neck and a custom wound pickup in the bridge. You can get the custom wound pickup for $160 (or $300 for a set), I've almost bitten the bullet on a set before and talked to the lady who wound them (she works at the Seymour Duncan custom shop), though she's a little hush hush about the exact nature of the pickups. She just said she started making them for him in the early '80s but that they sound pretty close to the Zeppelin era pickups (though Page didn't use them during Zeppelin). You're best bet is to listen to Page's sound from Live at the Greek or on the Page/Plant tours even though he's not using the same Marshalls that he was using during Zeppelin if you want to hear what his current guitar sounds like.

Otherwise, the closest you'll probably get is an R9 (since Page's les paul WAS a '59 after all, it was just a '59 that had the neck shaved down and refinished). I guess a R0 might be closer in that regard but the neck on the Page CA is still noticeably different.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 22, 2010,
I'll admit Slash is my main inspiration for playing guitar in general. He is to me, the best guitarist I've ever heard (Please no one argue with me as this is opinion). Though I'd have to say Jimmy Page and Joe Perry also have their effect on me now.
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
I hate Les Pauls. This thread is way too presumptuous, as if everyone plays les pauls.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
for me it's Jimmy Page and Joe Perry
I started out with a peavey guitar, then my brother wanted to learn to play so I gave him mine, and bought an stained epiphone one.
since then i've got a gibson custom alpine white and absolutely love it
After going off them for a while, recently it has to be said Joe Bonamassa. His tonal understating and reinterpretation of the Les Paul is astounding.
eat sleep play guitar
slash all the way....but i can't really stand les pauls much anymore
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
I saw Slash play sweet child o' mine on youtube way back in 2006, and from that point on I wanted a Les Paul. I have since then switched to Fenders lol.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by Kergash
If it had to be anyone it'd actually have to be Björn Gelotte. I was never a fan of the LP-shape, but after seeing it that many times I started warming up to it, and especially the black with gold hardware and binding, and ended up buying an LP-shape with those exact colors.

**** yeah! Me too! In Flames We Trust!
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
I only got into them because my sister happened to have an Epi LP Special II. And that was my first guitar. :/
I would say Buckethead, but my favorite Buckethead tones are when he used his purple ESP. After Buckethead, I guess I'd say Page, just cause I listened to a lot of Zep when I was starting out.
superman is killing himself tonight
No Gary Moore on the poll? Shame on you TS.
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Vox VT-20+

Bill Kelliher from Mastodon has a Les Paul in silverburst that I just think is pure sexyness. If I ever buy a Les Paul, it'll be like that.
Quote by Offworld92
I hate Les Pauls. This thread is way too presumptuous, as if everyone plays les pauls.

i think you're being way too presumptuous about the thread
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I've learned something from this thread,A LOT of people got something out of Slash's playing that I never saw....I guess I'll have to keep looking for it lol

Quote by Jyrgen
There's also the Number 2 super duper reissue custom 2009 limited edition.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Jimmy-Page-Two.aspx
True but Page never really used #2 much live. I think most people associate his tone with #1. Great sounding guitars though.

Regardless with either guitar you'd need something that sounded like a cranked super lead to even get close to the Page sound.
Quote by al112987
True but Page never really used #2 much live. I think most people associate his tone with #1. Great sounding guitars though.

Ah you're right

Quote by al112987
Regardless with either guitar you'd need something that sounded like a cranked super lead to even get close to the Page sound.

Yep and 09s played with a thin pick and a bit sloppy touch
Most probably Gary Moore and Peter Green
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Kergash

That. I'd also add Willie Adler of Lamb Of God to the list.
I don't have an LP though, but I'm working on it. Been looking into one of the Epi Prophecies
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
I dont have a les paul, but if anyone was to inspire me to get one it would be Adam Jones
Page 1 of 2