Page 1 of 2
I want to upgrade the pickups in my epiphone les paul but there are so many options. I play in a cover band that covers lots of genres so i would want a pickup/configuration that is flexible enough to handle clean stuff and indie rock well. I dont play really heavy stuff. Any suggestions? By the way i have a marshall jcm 900
yeah the JB and jazz or pearly gates would be a good combo
also, maybe check out the gibson burstbuckers
i have them in my les paul and they sound awesome, really really nice pick ups
GEAR -
Gibson Les Paul VOS '57 gold top
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
what about the gibson PAF 57s? heard good things about them and also bare knuckles?
The JB is awful in mahogany.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Really what's your experience with it? I quite liked the ones i've tried
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by bubb_tubbs

That's the only wood I like it in.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Really what's your experience with it?

Les Pauls are already fairly bright, so I found the high end of the JB can get a bit out of control if you don't use a 250k.

But in general, I just wasn't impressed. Every PAF pickup I've played through an LP has sounded better than the JB/Jazz combo.

Personally I'd go with a Custom or '59 over a JB.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jul 22, 2010,
les pauls are bright?
huge fail
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Quote by Teque86
les pauls are bright?
huge fail

they can be.

ts- depending on your budget you may want to check out some rs/fralin pup
warning -they're spendy.
i use the psychobilly pups myself.
Quote by anderson80
what about the gibson PAF 57s? heard good things about them and also bare knuckles?

If you can afford Bareknuckles maybe look at the Black Dog's or maybe even Mules depending on what you're playing. How heavy do you get? The Mules are pretty low output.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
dont get the JB

Get a seymour duncan custom 5 in bridge and 59' in neck.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Not really.

Even if you've played 5 mahogany guitars with a JB in them you still can't just generalize that the JB will sound bad in EVERY mahogany guitar.

In my Mahogany Ravelle I had, I liked the JB, but I hated the Jazz.

Iron Gear Hot Slag and Rolling Mill would probably be a cool choice.
Bridge pup - Guitarforce Rebelfire
neck pup - Guitarforce Force 59 or lord of the blues
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Les Pauls are already fairly bright

No LP I've ever had was bright, in any sense. In fact, I'd call them more dark?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
just get some gibson pickups on ebay, maybe a 490r/498t combo like in the les paul studio.
thats what I use, they'll definitely be hotter than the epiphone pickups. they get the job done for me.
Most people have the idea. Duncans and DiMarzios aren't usually too pricey and will almost definitely sound better than your stock pickups. I suggest going for a lower-output PAF-style or similar pickup. Duncan 59's are a good pickup, as well as any of DiMarzio's PAFs. I've used them quite a few times and it's really what they're suited for, but they're extremely versatile as well.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Quote by MatrixClaw
No LP I've ever had was bright, in any sense. In fact, I'd call them more dark?

hurrrr????
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
some les pauls are dark some are not. they DO have maple caps after all. they might be thicker and fatter sounding than say... a strat, but you can't say that they are necessarily dark guitars.

take Jimmy Page's sound for example, or early Clapton's tone on All Your Love. NOT dark tones, all using les pauls.

To the TS, how much do you have to spend on pickups? No point in getting Duncan '59s when you have enough for a pair of WCR Darkbursts, and no point in recommending something that expensive when all you have is enough for a set of Duncans.
Quote by MatrixClaw

That's the only wood I like it in.

agreed, JB is a good call.

IMO tho, BK coldsweats rule the ****in day in solid mahogany bodies.
also keep in mind that just because it's a seymour duncan or dimarzio or EMG, or something with a brand name on it, doesn't always mean it's good.

1.those big brands i just named are actually the last places I would look for replacement pickups

2.you can get pickups for literally half the price of seymours and dimarzios that are still pretty decent, goto guitarfetish.com and look at gfs pickups. they run for on average about $25-35 per pickup instead of $75-125 like from the bigger brands. I hear good and bad things with the GFS pickups, but when I installed them in my Mexican strat they were definitely better than the stock pickups.

3.i would most definitely stay away from any "distortion" pickup. they usually suck out all your tone and are only decent for high gain still, will sound crappy with anything else.
you're much better off getting your gain from you amp or a pedal, rather than having a distorted pickup.
pearly gates / pearly gates
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
ill suggest it again
if you have the money, try out a les paul with burstbuckers
i know they come stock in les paul customs, or atleast they did in my one
what have others got to say about them?
GEAR -
Gibson Les Paul VOS '57 gold top
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
^ You mean Worstbuckers?

Quote by chivesmcpoe
ill suggest it again
if you have the money, try out a les paul with burstbuckers
i know they come stock in les paul customs, or atleast they did in my one
what have others got to say about them?

Meh, they're alright. If I had to go with a Gibson pickup, the 500T is where it's at IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ No wonder you like the JB...

Your realize there are 4 different burstbuckers right?

The ones your taling about, the burstbucker pros are horrible. Easily the worst pickup gibson makes
The custom 1, 2, and 3 are better. The 3 being the hottest and the one they use in the jimmy page signature.
Whatever you do stay away from burstbucker pros, horrible horrible pickups
^ I have a pair of Burstbucker 2s coming in the R8, but I'm probably just going to put Throbak LTDs in instead.

There's just too many boutique winders that make way better PAF copies than Gibson makes these days so I see no reason to use any of the Burstbucker series. Maybe the Classic 57 if you have feedback issues, but most winders will also wax pot if you request it so...

But most non-Historic CS Gibsons still come with the 490R/498T combo stock. (also awful)

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jul 23, 2010,
As subpar as gibsons pickups may be, I'd still say their a lot better than seymour duncan and dimarzio. I actually hated the jb when I tired it
^ Fair enough.

Quote by handbanana
As subpar as gibsons pickups may be, I'd still say their a lot better than seymour duncan and dimarzio. I actually hated the jb when I tired it

Most people wouldn't agree with that though.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
^ I dunno. I've always thought both SD and Dimarzio are horrifically overpriced for what they offer.

Well, mine Duncans are very old, so maybe they are better quality than the ones they offer today, I dunno, but they sound pretty damn good to me.

I also have a recently purchased Tele with Duncan alnico IIs in it though, although I've heard better Teles, it sounds better than lower end Fender pickups.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by handbanana
Your realize there are 4 different burstbuckers right?

The ones your taling about, the burstbucker pros are horrible. Easily the worst pickup gibson makes
The custom 1, 2, and 3 are better. The 3 being the hottest and the one they use in the jimmy page signature.
Whatever you do stay away from burstbucker pros, horrible horrible pickups

They all sound mediocre to me. For the price, you can do infinitely better. But I'll agree, the Burstbucker Pros are the worst of the series by far. I'd definitely say that they're bad pickups. And it makes me lol that they put the hottest ones in the Jimmy Page signature when he's always used lower output PAFs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i would not buy any of the burstbuckers, but the burstbucker 3 didn't sound that bad to me, it really sounded about the same as the '57 classic tbh. maybe a little bit hotter(which makes it pretty much the same thing as the '57 classic plus).

I personally don't mind the 490/498 combo in my SG. They are pretty hot for stock pickups. the 498t is way way way better than the 490t imo.

but to me seymours and dimarzios are super overrated, and super overrpriced. You can add EMG to that list to, unless your playing death metal(which doesn't require much of a "tone" in the first place". I really think the only pickups worth over $100 are the highend boutique ones like Bare Knuckle. Or vintage ones obviously
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 23, 2010,
they do not use the burstbucker 3 in the page signature. they use a custom burstbucker with alnico 3 pickups wound to the same dc-r as what is in page's guitar.

imo duncan makes a paf clone just as good if not better than a bareknuckle and they're cheaper as well.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 23, 2010,
thinking about it, if i had the money for a bareknuckle, I would probably sooner buy an actual vintage t-top or something
Page 1 of 2