Aright so after seeing the trailer for the Facebook movie I began to think about the entire social media revolution and what it has to do with life in general. Just for background I'm a 19 year old with a Facebook/Twitter/Youtube/Tumblr/Foursquare and routinely updates most of them. What is it that has my generation so captivated with social media. Generation X had bands like Nirvana and Radiohead define the whole teenage awkward phase. Is social media a way for my generation to validate our thoughts on ourselves? To feel more accepted by peers?

What is everyone's take on it and do you guys use social networking mediums?
I use some of them but I don't know why.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
I don't use any of them (well okay I have a youtube account with nothing on it) but I'm not particularly social. But I also don't think social networking is dominated by gen y, a staggering number of people use it who are all different ages and from different backgrounds and what not.

We live in the information age (or at least we did, I forget what we're up to), and now people have ways of staying more connected with others.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
its a goood idea but like everything that gains to much power, turns over to the bad side and becomes evil and taqkes control

old facebook = good new facebook = worse

both addicting but the new coming into things they shouldnt

also, ^^ i took no care when typing this whatsoever. ^^
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
I don't use any. People constantly tell me I'm ~missing out~ on something but I don't really care for it.

edit/ Oh I have a youtube account, so I can comment on videos. I don't upload anything though.
I check Facebook all the time but it really annoys me, I don't know why I do it, probably 'cos I'm a sad fucker!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Lets see.

1. Facebook
2. Youtube
3. UG
4. 4-Chan

I luv social networking, apparently.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
The reason we check so often is because maybe one day a nice girl with the same interest will send you a friends request and you'll start a conversation and you'll say "I go to (insert highschool or college) and she'll respond "I do too omg let's meet up" so you 'll meet up and later in a few months start a relationship and be happy

That or facebook is addicting idk
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
I have a myspace and I use it from time to time. I don't have a facebook and my life is perfectly capable of being socially on par with the rest of the human race without one. Also UG since our profiles are designed for that particular purpose, which is cool for helping guitarists and learning more about music for myself.

My mom has a facebook btw lulz.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Employers want you to have a solid knowledge of "new media" so having a FB account helps. They really aren't as bad and scary as everyone makes out, and the word is addictIVE, not addicting. Addictive is the word you are looking for.
Quote by Nelsean
I have a myspace and I use it from time to time. I don't have a facebook and my life is perfectly capable of being socially on par with the rest of the human race without one. Also UG since our profiles are designed for that particular purpose, which is cool for helping guitarists and learning more about music for myself.

My mom has a facebook btw lulz.

I've never actually used UG's profile stuff ; not much anyways. I basically started my Myspace off as a way to keep up with my band and then it all snowballed haha. I have a YouTube to upload my guitar videos and then I promote them to my friends via Facebook and to people I don't know via Twitter and then I blog it on Tumblr and talk about my musical likings and ramblings. You'd think I'd be famous already haha.
I have facebook, kinda because everyone does and it's useful for mass inviting people to your gigs.

Spotify social is a good idea, I like being able to easily share songs with people without all the mucky muck links.

I have a youtube account so I can comment and shit.

And of course UG.

GezzyEDIT: That film looks naff.
Last edited by GezzyDiversion at Jul 22, 2010,
I hate that ****ing actor. So much that I could not possibly care about his facebook-inventing bullshit.
Well, on a personal level I'm not all that big on social networking, I had a myspace once, but y'know it died... or something.

But, over the last summer I got offered a job tutoring 1st year Uni Students in Discrete Math and Java Programming so when the time came to start the power of social networking invaded my life.

Now I have a twitter for live class updates, a flickr for diagrams/notes that I draw on boards then photograph with the ol' iPhone and upload, I use a class wide google calendar for assessment dates etc (instead of pdf/paper course outlines which always get thrown away) and I use Skype and MSN to facilitate out-of-class consultations instead of making kids come to my crusty "office" at inconvenient times and I host it all on my own website, separate from the university and it's million layers of log-in's and security. What's even cooler is that a bunch of other tutors and lecturers are going this same route, creating class facebook groups and the like.

So I guess social networking has it's business/education applications. But like I said, on a personal level I'll take a phone call or a get together at the pub over spending 1,000 hours on facebook any day
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
I think TS should quit his bitching.
This is why we can't have nice things!
He's not.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.