i can preaty much play pluidly in the speed of 220 in 1/8 of a note but when i increase the metronome to 240 for some reason its is my limit.
i'm playing for about 2 years and for the last months i just cant supress that speed.
one thing that i've noticed is that below the speeds of 200 i can play fluidly and in the speed of 260-320 1/8 if its all in the same string i can play fuidly, and thats becouse i "Shift" my picking from alternative picking in low speed to kind of tremolo in high speed.
could you suggest me something?
your probly sick of hearing this but practice is the only thing that can help.

also try increases the metronome by 3-5 bpm instead of 20

heres the metronome i use

http://advanced.bestmetronome.com/

also keep your hand relaxed, dont clench the pick really hard.

and use a thick pick if u use a thin pick it bends when it hits the string and that could slow you down slightly

and be economical with your picking, if you move it too far away from the string thats just more time that you waste getting it back to the string.
Quote by dany_100
i "Shift" my picking from alternative picking in low speed to kind of tremolo in high speed.
could you suggest me something?

Tremolo picking is performed in the exact same way as alternate picking, your technique shouldn't be changing. It sounds to me as though you're tensing up and flailing at the strings to achieve high speeds, this is bad.
You should play fast in pretty much the same way you play slow, take a look at your technique, figure out what you're doing wrong, slow waaaay down and fix it.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Wow... I couldn't even play Lamb of God - Laid to Rest above 50bpm... and he's playing at 200+? Or am I reading this wrong, the time sig 1/8 isn't familiar to me..
Eighth notes at 220 is like playing sixteenth notes at 110, to the person above. You're going from 2 notes per click to 4 notes per click.

One of the many things I've been doing to improve my picking is called the rhythm pyramid.
1. Typically, I'll set the tempo to something I'm comfortable at, like 60 BPM. It's best to do less here until you're picking is totally relaxed and even.
2. Now, I'll work my way through the rhythmic units, usually starting from quarter notes and then slowly working up to sixteenth note sextuplets (1-un-i-vers-it-y-2-un-i-vers-it-y etc)
3. Once I get up to 16th note sextuplets, I'll try and keep that pace for 2 minutes and just play anything all over the neck while concentrating on keeping that pace and not missing a note.

This is a very common exercise for other instruments, but for some reason, I haven't heard of people doing it on guitar. Also, if the sextuplets are too fast, you can always do regular sixteenth notes. The idea is the same. This exercise also helps with the strumming.
Last edited by STONESHAKER at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by STONESHAKER
Eighth notes at 220 is like playing sixteenth notes at 110, to the person above. You're going from 2 notes per click to 4 notes per click.

One of the many things I've been doing to improve my picking is called the rhythm pyramid.
1. Typically, I'll set the tempo to something I'm comfortable at, like 60 BPM. It's best to do less here until you're picking is totally relaxed and even.
2. Now, I'll work my way through the rhythmic units, usually starting from quarter notes and then slowly working up to sixteenth note sextuplets (1-un-i-vers-it-y-2-un-i-vers-it-y etc)
3. Once I get up to 16th note sextuplets, I'll try and keep that pace for 2 minutes and just play anything all over the neck while concentrating on keeping that pace and not missing a note.

This is a very common exercise for other instruments, but for some reason, I haven't heard of people doing it on guitar. Also, if the sextuplets are too fast, you can always do regular sixteenth notes. The idea is the same. This exercise also helps with the strumming.

I need to try this for sure. I really do have a hard time getting my note lengths right on the guitar. I used to play Trumpet and Piano when I was younger so i believe I've got it in me to learn this but I need some good excercises to practice keeping speed to. The metronome I have is hard for me because I can't really tell if I'm hitting the string at the exact moment it beeps or if it's just before/after. Would you suggest playing these rhythm peices with a backing track to follow, or setting some up in Guitar Pro, or even better, is there a Guitar Pro file I can get that will have some of each notes to practice with. I find it much easier to follow Guitar Pro than a metronome.
Well, if that's your problem, try this.

Practice your exercises to the metronome, but pick a slower speed (under 100) and play 1 note every 4 clicks. You want to do it like this.

1st click: play the note
2nd click: mute the note by letting the string rise off the fretboard, but don't let your finger leave the string.
3rd click: check for form and release any tension
4th click: touch the string of the next note and lightly press the pick against the string, but don't pick it

And repeat. Eventually, you can work up to 2 clicks per note (touch-play).

Once you've got that touch-play ingrained into your playing mechanism, then try the rhythm pyramid. That rhythm pyramid will work wonders for your phrasing too.

You won't ever outgrow this either. When I am first learning a difficult passage, I will slow it down like I described, although I no longer work with 4 clicks per note, the lowest I'll go down to is 60 BPM with 2 clicks.
Last edited by STONESHAKER at Jul 22, 2010,