Hi I'm new to this forum. I'm gonna get my first bass, and i am going to play stuff like, rock, power pop and punk. For my bass, i have a few choices:

1. ESP EX104

2nd ESP VIPER 104

3rd: Tokai Thunderbird (copy)

In your opinion, which is the best bass for these genres. I have tried them, and I am seriously lost for choice.=P Any comments on these basses, (eg too pointy) or stuff would also be appreciated. Thanks alot! =) If you have any other basses to reccomend, please help too. Thanks!
I'd say it'd be out of the viper or the thunderbird.

Personally I'd go the thunderbird, but I don't dig ESP.

Thunderbird has a few issues higher fret access is pretty shit and annoying, you can get to about the 15th comfortably. its also neck heavy, so whenever you hand isn't on it the headstock falls to the floor. and some say the tone is mud. with the right settings I think it'd sound hot.

I have no experience with either ESP. The EX looks shoddy. and I've just never been a fan.

If you've played them all, did you have any preferences?

All would be suitable basses for rock power pop and punk.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
for the price of any one of these basses, you can probably get something better. try looking into other companies such as Ibanez and fender. your best bet would be to head down to a music store and try out all the basses within your price range and then decide which one to get.
Quote by silent_storm
for the price of any one of these basses, you can probably get something better. try looking into other companies such as Ibanez and fender. your best bet would be to head down to a music store and try out all the basses within your price range and then decide which one to get.

+1

Please. Just don't.
I wouldn't touch those lower end ESP's I recommend looking at Ibanez or Fender.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
haha ok, but i'm a student and like the nearest guitar store is really quite far away, ive found these 3 models from the stores, though. As for ibanez, i heard really good things about them but here where i live they are really quite expensive. like the GSR200, one of the cheaper models costs around 400 bucks (SGD) which is quite alot... Whats wrong with ESP though? heard they're not bad actually...
the lower end ESP has very shabby construction and they incorporate cheaper wood and electronics. you might like them now, but soon as you get more serious with your bass, you will find it lacking in numerous way.
i see... so any good models you can reccomend from ibanez? i shall go check it out. Thanks!
Quote by TheMoose7
i see... so any good models you can reccomend from ibanez? i shall go check it out. Thanks!

i would check out the squier vintage modified jazz bass as well. you get about the same quality as a MIM fender at a better price and the VM squiers sound identical to fenders .
I find the EX bass to actually be fairly decent for the price. I like the AX series though. Super awkward shape but they feel great and sound amazing (opinion). I kinda wanna get one but it'd look so weird on stage. But it sits well on the knee and the neck is comfortable. I just love ESPs because of their necks and electronics. Not a big fan of Ibanez because my fingers are waaaay too long.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Last edited by Nolanrox at Jul 23, 2010,
Ibanez GSR 200 is a great bang for your buck. there's also Ibanez GSR205( if you wanna get a 5 string). however, if u budget is higher, i would highly recommend you Ibanez SR300. they have active electronics, so you have plenty of tones to play with. you can also check out the squier VM jazz basses, those things are quite praised here in UG.
Quote by silent_storm
Ibanez GSR 200 is a great bang for your buck. there's also Ibanez GSR205( if you wanna get a 5 string). however, if u budget is higher, i would highly recommend you Ibanez SR300. they have active electronics, so you have plenty of tones to play with. you can also check out the squier VM jazz basses, those things are quite praised here in UG.

No no no no. I have an SR300 and I...do not like it. The neck is really awkward and comes loose because the crappy bolt-on. The pick ups are like..curved, so you don't really have anything to rest your thumb on if you play with your fingers. The pick ups are also very very close to the strings. It comes out of tune very quickly. It's just...not a very good bass.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Personally i've never liked the idea of resting your fingers on the pickups. it just means you have to bend your wrist and change the angle of your hands compared to the strings every time you switch strings. But, it's all preference i guess.

Either way it sounds like you got ahold of a lemon SR300 there. they're usually better than the gsr200/205.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Nolanrox
No no no no. I have an SR300 and I...do not like it. The neck is really awkward and comes loose because the crappy bolt-on. The pick ups are like..curved, so you don't really have anything to rest your thumb on if you play with your fingers. The pick ups are also very very close to the strings. It comes out of tune very quickly. It's just...not a very good bass.

All of those except for the neck issue can be fixed with a proper set up. Pickups too close to the strings? Seriously. You know those two screws either side of the pickup?... Yeah. You could always cram something in the neck pocket too to make it fit a bit tighter. Sounds like you got a lemon as Revalation said or you got a butt-raped display model.

EDIT: Ugh. Look at me trying to defend an Ibanez. I hate Ibanez basses.
Quote by consecutive e
All of those except for the neck issue can be fixed with a proper set up. Pickups too close to the strings? Seriously. You know those two screws either side of the pickup?... Yeah. You could always cram something in the neck pocket too to make it fit a bit tighter. Sounds like you got a lemon as Revalation said or you got a butt-raped display model.

EDIT: Ugh. Look at me trying to defend an Ibanez. I hate Ibanez basses.

Haha. I don't get why you're trying to say I'm wrong. I use a pick and I had to record with this piece of shit. I usually play near bridge and bridge pick up, and my pick tends to hit the pick up a lot because it slants towards the two middle strings and it's...quite annoying. And now that I look at it, it seems to be sticking out more on the bridge pick up. You need to take to consideration that I own this bass and have attempted to record with it and have had many problems. I've taken it to techs to get the bolts on the back replaced but they just think I should get a new bass because I'm in there every 2 weeks to get the bolts replaced or tightened.

Other SR models are great, I love the SRX and I hope to get the PRB2 soon. But the 300 is nothing special, especially since I've been playing for 5 years and I'm very picky about my basses.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Last edited by Nolanrox at Jul 23, 2010,
Judging by those choices, you're going off looks. From my experience, LTD have 'interesting' shapes but tonally are completely sterile and boring, all round cheap. Yamaha's BB series are pretty good and the RBX series is ok but nothing special.

Have you considered a high end Squier?
Yeah, actually so:') but For my price, the LTDs are actually not quite in my price range already...^^ the best yamaha i can afford would be the rbx 170 or 270. BB series is definitely out of my reach. Maybe next time... One thing though... I tried a RBX 370, and when useing my fingers, whenever my fingers hovered about a centimitre off the pickups, they would start to buzz... is that normal?
Quote by TheMoose7
Yeah, actually so:') but For my price, the LTDs are actually not quite in my price range already...^^ the best yamaha i can afford would be the rbx 170 or 270. BB series is definitely out of my reach. Maybe next time... One thing though... I tried a RBX 370, and when useing my fingers, whenever my fingers hovered about a centimitre off the pickups, they would start to buzz... is that normal?

That's either faulty wiring or just back shielding.

What's your exact budget?
Thi I hard but it's about up to 500 sgd... The ltds are actually 550. That would be about maybe just 300 usd I think...
Quote by TheMoose7
Thi I hard but it's about up to 500 sgd... The ltds are actually 550. That would be about maybe just 300 usd I think...

Its £235, which is a pretty reasonable amount, you can definately get a high end Squier for that.