I'm somewhat interested in the Death By Audio pedal Soundwave Breakdown, but I have not seen any reviews on bass, I can imagine it would not be too bad on bass as it's like an oscillating Blue Box.

Anyone played one?

also are there some other shoegazey/noisemakery pedal you dig/had experience with?

I just have a thing for crazy pedals.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Last edited by ZaccB at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by ZaccB

I just have a thing for crazy pedals.

You and me both!

I haven't had the pleasure of messing around with any of the DBA pedals... but i use to have a 4ms Nocto Loco ( http://www.4mspedals.com/nocto.php ). Other than that, i also had an EHX Frequency Analyzer that did some weird, wild stuff.

Honestly though, i could never USE anything. I used it for noisy ambient stuff... but not shoegaze stuff.

For my shoegaze/dream pop stuff specifically, i just like to layer 'regular' effects. Tons of delay/reverse delay/space echo, looping, chorus, reverb, phaser, a lil' flange... that's it really.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
^^ See I'm not totally into the whole shoegazey kind of thing. But I love noise style pedals, especially if I can get a sort of, ****ed up synth style sound.

The EHX Micro Synth has been getting some interest because of its Squarewave slider, but I'm not super keen on much of the other stuff.

are there some kinds of Wave style effects that have just gone without my notice, and kinds of screwed up fuzziclation/oscillation.

My Current set-up, over the last few days, I have a behringer tuner which has dual outputs, send one through a Boss HM-2 into a Randall 15 watt practise amp with a low boost. (till I get something better)

next chain is Vox 847 wah>Sovtek Big Muff Pi>Boss OC-2>Boss OBD-3>DOD 460 mini Chorus> Crossfire Delay>Amp

I want to through in a sort of synth or something that will give a synthy oscillation kind of, but nothing so drastic as an auto wah, envelope filter or pretty much any of the synth pedals I've tried.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Get. An. EHX. Bass Micro Synth.

From what you just described as your want, this would be perfect. Paired with a stereo chorus/phaser/flanger you could get some serious synthy oscillation going on.

FWIW, i've used both the BASS micro synth and the regular Micro Synth and i was happy with both and found the differences to be fairly slight. While the BMS is BETTER than the MS for bass... the MS is totally useable and just keep that in mind if you're shopping for one.

Also, on the cheap, the Digitech Bass Synth Wah is a pretty phoenominal synth bass pedal... much better than the Boss SYB-3/5 in my experience.

Also... i just picked up an EHX Memory Boy and that has some pretty awesome (w/expression pedal) modulationable effects going on... i JUST got it though so i can't speak too much on its useability...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
well I just stumbled upon the Heliotrope pedal, and well, my list just got one pedal longer.

but I think with a bit-crushing effect I'll need a loop pedal to find use for it.

With the micro synth, can I fool around with the sweep to change the peak, so it sounds less... filtered? also to change between all these sounds I'm gonna need to change up the sliders right?, looks like I'm getting some white out and color coding a few settings.

I play in a two piece with a drummer. so crazy effects are gonna find tonnes of use in my hands as long as they sound good.

man, good thing I just got a job.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
I haven't used it personally... but the heliotrope gets AMAZING reviews. If you want a good bit-crushy pedal for a lil' bit less, check out the Devi Ever 'Legend of Fuzz'. I was happy with that, so i never moved on to the heliotrope, haha.

Yeah the sliders can be a pain if you're changing settings for every song. I don't know if newer models have pre-sets or what... i've only used an oooold regular Micro Synth... the BMS i used was just in a store and i, shamefully, don't recall all the bells and whistles.

Two pieces are what bassists that like pedals are made for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF736L9rbo&feature=PlayList&p=2A311FCD0EC83A92&playnext=1&index=18

haha, having a good job only tempts you to buy the really expensive pedals... just wait till you've tasted some moog/zvex/brown dog pedals bye bye paycheck
I would ask the manufacturers of some of the pedals if they track well on bass. I almost got this amazing noise pedal, but the guy told me that it honestly didn't track will on bass (it was a fuzz with a ring modulator and synth distortion).

Right now my noise is mainly wall of sound. Two delays, a muff, and the ever so useful Boss Super Feedbacker and Distortion.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by fatgoogle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enp9wkTSges

is hwta you want. Skip to 1.34

Wasn't what I had in mind, but god damn do I want it now.

Quote by Din of Win
I haven't used it personally... but the heliotrope gets AMAZING reviews. If you want a good bit-crushy pedal for a lil' bit less, check out the Devi Ever 'Legend of Fuzz'. I was happy with that, so i never moved on to the heliotrope, haha.

Two pieces are what bassists that like pedals are made for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF736L9rbo&feature=PlayList&p=2A311FCD0EC83A92&playnext=1&index=18

haha, having a good job only tempts you to buy the really expensive pedals... just wait till you've tasted some moog/zvex/brown dog pedals bye bye paycheck

I was considering the Soundwave Breakdown, and thats about twice as much as the heliotrope on a quick ebay check. but... the legend of fuzz is zelda.

haha, dude, Bond looks sick, My two piece is more along the longs of Death From Above without the thrashy influence and some jazz influence on some chords. But I can so see my drummer loving that, I wanna play around with some hip-hop rhythms and obviously screwed up sounds.

Man, it's not a good job, Fast Food, but its a job. I'm staying away from the moog/zvex/brown dog price range, as I do want another amp (head at least) so I think I'll spend the first two months of wages on a few pedals then have the rest go into that new head.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"