Page 1 of 2
Hey, I was wondering, recently recording for the 30 Day Album Challenge, and 30 Day Song Challenge, if anyone wanted to do a Metal Covers Compilation.
Prog, Death, Black, Heavy, Melodic, any sub-genre.

Rules:
  • Deadline is September 30th, which is on a Thursday.
  • 15 Member Limit
  • One song per member
  • Only 2 of the same bands may be on the final CD
  • Must be of decent quality
  • Vocals or Non-Vocals accepted
  • It's a cover, so you can go wild with the song, just make sure that it's recognizable!

I'll make a decent deadline, so then there's at least a challenge, and a good amount of time to do it in. I'll give everyone till the end of September!

I think a 15 member limit will be best, as most things get cluttered with names and mistakes when over 20 people do recordings.

If successful I'll do another one

Entrants:
1: grimms - Amon Amarth - (Still Thinking)
2: Carl_Berg - Norther - Dream
3: Portray the Icarus (AdamDK + SquierLolz) - Metallica - Orion
4: Dream Floyd - Dream Theater - Constant Motion
5: rabguitarlegend - Megadeth - Sweating Bullets
6: Omega6762 - Iron Maiden - Evil That Men Do
7: IAMCJ1 - Cynic - How Could I
8: dafto - Metallica - One
9: nightwindelf88 - Dethklok - Bloodlines or Deththeme
10: dannycasevnx - Pantera - Walk
11: bamf - Lada Gaga - Paparazzi
12: Josher.K - Megadeth - Tornado of Souls
Last edited by grimms at Sep 10, 2010,
Count me in dude!

Also, can we add original ideas to the song? Like adding a synth line, harmonising a melody, or just adding our own style in it?
Last edited by Carl_Berg at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by Carl_Berg
Count me in dude!

Also, can we add original ideas to the song? Like adding a synth line, harmonising a melody, or just adding our own style in it?

Forgot to put that in! As I'm doing this too
I'll update OP
Enter myself and SquierLulz to do Orion by Metallica. Also, credit us as 'A Distant Shadow' <-- Just a project name we've got. We've used a backing track for the drums and bass, but all the guitar tracks are by us.

Edit: Also, maybe post in the metal forum too and possibly The Pit to raise awareness?
Last edited by AdamDK at Jul 22, 2010,
Sorry for the double post, but just finished recording. I've done rhythm and lead, SquierLulz done rhythm + the solo over the outro. Linkage to our profile:

http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/adistantshadow/music/all/play871183

When the time gets closer to having most entries complete we'll upload it to MediaFire or whatever so you can download it and stick it on the album.
Last edited by AdamDK at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by AdamDK
Sorry for the double post, but just finished recording. I've done rhythm and lead, SquierLulz done rhythm + the solo over the outro. Linkage to our profile:

http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/adistantshadow/music/all/play871183

When the time gets closer to having most entries complete we'll upload it to MediaFire or whatever so you can download it and stick it on the album.

Awesome, sounds good. I'll link the thread in the metal forum later on as I just woke up
Didn't think of that, thanks dude!
I don't think this is a famous part of the forum

I'm gonna link to here in the Metal Forum.
I'll probably do constant motion - Dream Theater. I might also vocally cover it.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
put me down for Laid To Rest - Lamb Of God
Gear
Guitars
Epiphone SG G-400
IBANEZ S470DXQM

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Marshall MS-2 Micro Stack

Pedals
Zakk Wylde ZW 45 Cry Baby Wah
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
You can throw me down for The Evil That Men Do by Iron Maiden, if their is a progish Russell Allen type vocalist out there that wants to do vocals, please send me a message and let me know!
Awesome!
Thanks for signing up people! If it goes well enough, this should be pretty damn awesome!
Oh my bad, I realised Kev's username is SquierLolz not SquierLulz, feel free to edit that if you get a chance hehe.
hey, i would like to change my choice from laid to rest to sweating bullets by megadeth, thanks
Gear
Guitars
Epiphone SG G-400
IBANEZ S470DXQM

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

Pedals
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Yeah same as me!
Would be good for some more people, I posted in the metal forum, and now it's just been kicked aside. Sucks.
I'd do a cover with someone, but not on my own ( too shitty to do solos and faster bits alas).
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
Last edited by [Azrael] at Jul 28, 2010,
I would like to enter "How Could I" - Cynic. I am already half way there and I think I may have improved upon the original recording somewhat.. well i guess that has to be seen I havn't attempted the vocal line yet!
Is this essentially dead then?
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
I hope this isn't dead. I was stoked about it. I am even getting a friend to sign up to UG to enter.
LOL@UR GERE!!!1 HURRZ MINE!
Customized Gibson Explorer (Alternative 8)
LTD mp-600
Charvel/Esp hybrid (Alnico 2 pro)
Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Coming Soon: EngL StH Limited Edition
Awesome idea!!!...Wow still alot of spots left..I'll think of something and then get back to you guys....
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Okay I'm sorry about not posting in this, I've been away for the summer, and forgot to inform everyone, and essentially forgot about the thread!!

But now I remember, I've updated the OP with edited details!
Nah man i think i gotta pull out i thought this thread was dead and forgot about the recording :\
my cover of sweating bullets is on my profile, if you think it is good enough let me know and ill send you the file.
Gear
Guitars
Epiphone SG G-400
IBANEZ S470DXQM

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

Pedals
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
I like the cover, the guitar, bass and drums are awesome, though the vocals sound wierd? It's not your voice it's just how it's been recorded it sounds like you used really good mics for the instruments, and a really crappy mic for your voice.
yeah the instruments were line ins, and the vocals were done with a cheap mic.
Gear
Guitars
Epiphone SG G-400
IBANEZ S470DXQM

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

Pedals
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Ahh, it's really good though, like with the instruments they sound nearly as good a quality as Megadeth. You mixed it really well.
Maybe you can try and mess with settings for the vocals?
i can give you the track without vocals if you want i think i still have it lying around somewhere. thanks for the crit
Gear
Guitars
Epiphone SG G-400
IBANEZ S470DXQM

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

Pedals
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Its you to you, cause if you'd rather the vocals on it, I seriously don't mind.
Count me in, I'll do some Dethklok. Proabably the "coffee jingles of the music songs" (Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle)

Edit: Just looked at the solo. Probably won't do that. Most likely will be Bloodlines or Deththeme
Last edited by nightwindelf88 at Sep 5, 2010,
Count me in I'll have a crack a Pantera-Walk will be without vocals though

I can do a vocal track if you want.
Okay we now have 10 contestants, hopefully this runs well. 5 more should be perfect!
Remember deadline is the end of September, unless people want it pushed forward.
Walk is on my profile now if you wanna check it out, could do with a bit better mastering to be honest so if any one wants to do it please let me know and nightwindelf88 doing the vocals would be a great idea PM and we'll sort something out.
Page 1 of 2