I was fiddling about with my Vox AD30VT today (seeing how easy it is to get the valve out as it needs replacing) and decided it's ugly as f***...

So I was to do something to tart it up, I was thinking of possibly even making a whole new container even, possibly aiming for the vintage Vox look.

So, I know this should probably be in the gear customization section but for now I'm just looking for ideas and thought this would get more responses here.

Any ideas?

I've seen some geniuses on these forums so I expect good ones

EDIT:

For reference, this is what it looks like now:
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Last edited by archerygenious at Jul 22, 2010,
I've always hated the way metal grilles looked. Personally, I'd swap that out for some tweed or something. And if you're going for vintage Vox, definitely take that Valvetronix tag off!!!
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Yeah I definitely like the idea of changing the grill with tweed, dunno how easy/expensive that would be though. Tbh I'm trying to make it as cheap as possible as I'm currently saving up for a new guitar as well.

I'm seriously considering just making a whole new cab now though, just the wood would be the only thing I need, everything else (tools, glue, carrying handle, etc.) I already have (my parents do woodwork every now and then). Plus that way I'd be able to cover it in something other than the plasticy black stuff that's on it now, and i'd be able to make room for a 12" speaker and put a Vintage 30 in there sometime in the future, although I don't know whether I'd need to modify the main electronics for that...

Anyway, keep them coming!

Quote by forsaknazrael
How do you know the valve needs replacing?

Amp's started sounding kinda crap and after some research I've come to the conclusion that it's the valve - it doesn't light up very brightly at all and apparently if you use it harshly (turn it on and off all the time, things like that) then after about 2 years it'll wear out, and 2 years is just coming up since I got it
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

Quote by forsaknazrael
From what I know, the tube in these things usually last the whole lifetime in the amp.

However, it's a very cheap replacement, so go for it, I guess.

Yeah that's what I read and what I believed until now, but there's a really noticeable difference from what it sounded like before, and it was just after turning the power level knob up quite a way which may have just pushed it over the edge

EDIT: Just looked up the grill cloth and it's £65

Yeah, I don't think I'll be getting that...

It does deteriorate over time. Replacing it will not only give you an improvement over the sound of the old valve, but there will be subtle difference and perhaps improvement on the stock new sound depending on what valve you replace it with.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I'd take off that awful metal grille and replace it with something prettier.
Remove the Valvetronix logo.
Done.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/mojo-vintage-amp-parts/coverings/grill-cloth/grill-cloth-vox-style-brown-diamond-43-width-per-yard-p-5129.html

+ take off the valvetronix logo and the silver vox logo and replace it with a gold one, which should be findable on ebay. Also, get some gold piping to go between the grille and the tolex. Use a pic of an AC30 for reference.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/mojo-vintage-amp-parts/coverings/grill-cloth/grill-cloth-vox-style-brown-diamond-43-width-per-yard-p-5129.html

+ take off the valvetronix logo and the silver vox logo and replace it with a gold one, which should be findable on ebay. Also, get some gold piping to go between the grille and the tolex. Use a pic of an AC30 for reference.

I'd do that if the cloth alone wasn't so ridiculously expensive, but thanks anyway

ethan, that Peavey is the sex

Quote by ikey_
take of that silly grill. horrid.

The grill is definitely on my list of things to sort out, I've no idea what to replace it with though, definitely not the vox diamond cloth though, it's far too expensive for me

Quote by archerygenious
The grill is definitely on my list of things to sort out, I've no idea what to replace it with though, definitely not the vox diamond cloth though, it's far too expensive for me

Don't get Vox cloth, you'll pay through the teeth for that! I'm sure some generic amp manufacturing company will sell you a grill cloth for much cheaper. Shop around! The metal grill needs to go!
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.