Ookay so i want one of these guitars, but which one will be better build quality/better sounding/better wood:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_sg400_emg_custom_aw.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_sg_prophecy_custom_exme.htm

they're both the same price
I used to an Epiphone Prophecy Futura and it was amazing, everything about it was brilliant except for the higher fret access and paint chipping off but the sustain was unbelievable

so which sg is better?

or if you could suggest any other guitar with emg's and a mahogany body in that price range i would greatly appreciate it
Sg400 Emg Custom Aw
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
I'm pretty sure the only difference there is the fretboard(Prophecy has ebony, G400 has rosewood) and finish, so if you want a brighter tone I'd go for the Prophecy, if you want a...less bright(not sure what the opposite of bright is tonewise...XD) tone I'd go for the G400. Or you could go for the Prophecy for teh br00tlz. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
I'm pretty sure the only difference there is the fretboard(Prophecy has ebony, G400 has rosewood) and finish, so if you want a brighter tone I'd go for the Prophecy, if you want a...less bright(not sure what the opposite of bright is tonewise...XD) tone I'd go for the G400. Or you could go for the Prophecy for teh br00tlz. =P

Darker

I'd go for the prophecy.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
Darker

I'd go for the prophecy.

OH. I thought it was warmer or something. I decided not to look AS stupid and say the wrong term. XD Sorry!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Number 2. Although, the G400 looks pretty good in white.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure both of these guitars would be pretty close to the same, and it really doesn't matter which one you go with.
The G-400's neck is slightly thicker and rounder; the Prophecy's is slightly slimmer and flatter. Pick the neck that suits your hand the best. The G-400 has 22 frets and the Prophecy has 24, although personally I think the neck profile is a much more important difference (after all, what good is an extra two frets if the neck is uncomfortable and unplayable for you?). The control layout is of course different too. Otherwise, they're the same.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
okay guys and gals which do you think LOOKS better? better for shock value that is
Epiphone Sg Prophecy Custom
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
Sounds like a trick question.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Ma-hog!
okay guys and gals which do you think LOOKS better? better for shock value that is

The G-400 if you're playing metal. 99% of the population assumes that anything in blacky-blue is TEH BR00TLZ MUZT BE TEH GUZ METL GITAR, and that Prophecy is the exact blacky-blue. If you're playing, say, indie rock, get the Prophecy and they'll be amazed too. Either way, tape Fender onto the headstock for supreme shock value IMO.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Quote by Ma-hog!

wtf is your problem?

And what kind of shock value are you trying to get with a stock SG, regardless of finish?

Anyway, they're basically the same guitar. The Prophecy has 2 more frets, which doesn't really matter because the scale length is still 24.75".

+1 to Flibble's post as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
wtf is your problem?

And what kind of shock value are you trying to get with a stock SG, regardless of finish?

Anyway, they're basically the same guitar. The Prophecy has 2 more frets, which doesn't really matter because the scale length is still 24.75".

+1 to Flibble's post as well.

If you want to be passive aggressive please go somewhere else, if you actually looked at the guitars you would see that they are not stock sg's
they have different pickups, controls, necks, nuts, inlays, build materials and they are both limited edition guitars

As for the 2 extra frets with the same scale length each fret on the prophecy is subsequently smaller than on the sg400 which i happen to value on a guitar
Quote by Enix165
The G-400 if you're playing metal. 99% of the population assumes that anything in blacky-blue is TEH BR00TLZ MUZT BE TEH GUZ METL GITAR, and that Prophecy is the exact blacky-blue. If you're playing, say, indie rock, get the Prophecy and they'll be amazed too. Either way, tape Fender onto the headstock for supreme shock value IMO.

you have a great point there although the prophecy is more purpley-black haha oj ill take that into consideration, thanks
Quote by Ma-hog!
if you actually looked at the guitars you would see that they are not stock sg's
they have different pickups, controls, necks, nuts, inlays, build materials and they are both limited edition guitars

As for the 2 extra frets with the same scale length each fret on the prophecy is subsequently smaller than on the sg400 which i happen to value on a guitar

A guitar that is bought, without any aftermarket mods done to it, is stock. Regardless of what hardware and electronics come on it, if you don't change it after you buy it, then it is stock.

And SG's aren't shocking. Nothing stock can be anymore. All finishes have been done in all known shapes at some point or another. To be shocking, you have to have something external added to a guitar, imo.

Unless you're a complete square who thinks anything other than a Les Paul is shocking or weird.

Also, there's no point to frets too small you can't play.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
And SG's aren't shocking. Nothing stock can be anymore. All finishes have been done in all known shapes at some point or another. To be shocking, you have to have something external added to a guitar, imo.

Or remove something

Quote by Offworld92
A guitar that is bought, without any aftermarket mods done to it, is stock. Regardless of what hardware and electronics come on it, if you don't change it after you buy it, then it is stock.

Unless you're a complete square who thinks anything other than a Les Paul is shocking or weird.

Also, there's no point to frets too small you can't play.

yeah good man yourself
Quote by Ma-hog!
If you want to be passive aggressive please go somewhere else, if you actually looked at the guitars you would see that they are not stock sg's

not true, the 2 extra frets are just overhang, the width of the space between frets can't just be randomly change because of intonation issues
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
not true, the 2 extra frets are just overhang, the width of the space between frets can't just be randomly change because of intonation issues

yup on some guitars it is just overhang but with others its not so the frets are changed just not randomly
g400. they both have emgs so thats a mute point. and i have a thing for white guitars
Quote by ikey_
g400. they both have emgs so thats a mute point. and i have a thing for white guitars

oh so do i! but i cant stand the fact that the headstock doesn't match the body in colour