Page 1 of 3
I'm one of those typical USA kids...I know English and have taken Spanish for 6 years in school. I'm not fluent (due to not really caring about the class so much) but I could definitely find my way around a Spanish-speaking area.

I want to learn another language. I'm thinking of doing it the Rosetta Stone way...

Now, should I actually become fluent in Spanish, or do something like Russian, Italian, German, or French, with which I have no previous experience?
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
I'm going into engineering, so I don't know if any language would help with that.

Would it be bad to do both at the same time? Like, I can write stories and such in Spanish, I just mess up conjugations when I'm not fully thinking in Spanish.

What if I learned German with Spanish? I have nothing to do until Aug. 12 when I move into school (and have no room in my schedule to take a language...)

Quote by KlinikaNekros
Become fluent in Spanish,then learn Italian,they're a lot alike.

This, just not necessarily Italian.

edit: ^ memorize this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_integrals
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Last edited by damian_91 at Jul 22, 2010,
Italian sounds pretty cool.

So does german, unless your pronunciation is off

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
All of the romantic languages are alike, because when the Romans ruled them, Latin mixed with the local dialects, so if you speak Spanish well, then you can easilly learn another Romance language. However, if you want a challenge, do a Slavic language like Russian or German. Or Gaelic, because it's just that awesome
Quote by Hibberdijibbit
All of the romantic languages are alike, because when the Romans ruled them, Latin mixed with the local dialects, so if you speak Spanish well, then you can easilly learn another Romance language. However, if you want a challenge, do a Slavic language like Russian or German. Or Gaelic, because it's just that awesome

German ain't slavic, it falls in the same category as Dutch, Norse and Swedish
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
Quote by damian_91
This, just not necessarily Italian.

edit: ^ memorize this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_integrals

I memorized that in high school. Then I learned the reasoning behind it.

So it looks like I'll be doing Spanish and another language. I think I'm going to try reading Harry Potter in Spanish before school starts. I kind of want a challenge; I think I'm going to learn Russian. My grandfather was fluent in it (lived there a while) and my old coach was Russian. Neither of those will help me since they're out of my life now, but it's a little connection. But then, my mom lived in Germany and was fluent as a child, but she's long since lost it.

Hmm..decisions decisions.

Learn Hindi or Mandarin. Good for business opportunities.

German is cool, too.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by JY-Rasputin
German ain't slavic, it falls in the same category as Dutch, Norse and Swedish

Excuse my ignorance, but is German just as similar to those in the category as English is to Spanish, Italian, etc.? Perhaps I will learn German so that in the future I can learn Dutch.

Quote by Psalm 150:4
Excuse my ignorance, but is German just as similar to those in the category as English is to Spanish, Italian, etc.? Perhaps I will learn German so that in the future I can learn Dutch.

Lol dutch. beautiful but useless.
German Dutch Swedish, Norse and Danish are closely related if that is what you mean.
I speak dutch and german but I'm able to read alot of Danish as well though I never had lessons in it. I also can't understand it because of the strange pronounciation.
But don't be fooled. If you learn german you will still have a hard time learning any of the other languages.
Last edited by Will-kun at Jul 22, 2010,
Definitely French! I'm currently majoring in French and English and French is 100x cooler and easier than English!
I've had 2 years of German in high school but it's an extremely difficult language to learn so I wouldn't recommend it!
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
You should learn Mandarin Chinese,the most spoken laugnague.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
do chinese for sure. its getting really big ecspecially in the usa. im learning it right now and i loveeee it. its a fascinating language. but whatever you choose
DO NOT USE ROSETTA STONE
it is the BIGGEST waste of money!!!!!!!
use Pimsleur it is waaaaaaaaaay better
Quote by spanishyanez
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a M0lliP0Ps?

the world may never know!

e-married to KENSAI

如果你可以阅读这个,你是中国人。
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You should learn Mandarin Chinese,the most spoken laugnague.

Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid

English is more closely related to German than it is the Romance languages.

And anyone telling you to learn a non-European language is just wrong, don't listen to them.
Last edited by Nosferatu Man at Jul 22, 2010,
In Danish schools everyone have to learn some German and it scared me away for ever learning more. When I learnt it, it felt like the most unimaginative and square language ever.

I think it's good idea to improve on your Spanish and as a third languages I think you should think very differently. Maybe think east european? If I were to promote my own language I can tell you that Danish is a lovely language to swear with.
Whatever you do, DON'T take up Russian. I had the choice of taking up between France, German, Italian and Russian. I took Russian. I regret it to this day.
Hm, I'm still at a crossroads. I'm 60% set on German, 20% on French, 10% on Russian, and then 10% on all other languages. I think I'll start out with German for a few days, then if I don't like where it's going I'll switch to French or something else.

I should have space in my schedule during the spring semester to take a language, so whatever I start learning now (besides Spanish) I'll take a class on it.

Shinami, why did you not like Russian?

learn chinese, then when they take over the world youll be saved

thats my plan anyway
now extra flamey
Quote by Nosferatu Man
English is more closely related to German than it is the Romance languages.

And anyone telling you to learn a non-European language is just wrong, don't listen to them.

This, there's no ****ing way they're right about it, do not listen to them.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Shinami, why did you not like Russian?

Because It's hard and confusing. Reading and talking is not as hard, but the grammar, how words are formed is just.. 5th year learning it and I still don't know any grammar, how words are formed, changing tenses and whatnot. It's just way too confusing. English is simple when compared, because it doesn't have this thing that I don't know how to call in English. Basically how in English nouns never change in such a context:

I like Sarah.
Sarah like pies.
Someone told Sarah smth.

In Russian, Sarah would be written differently all those times. It's the same as in my language, Lithuanian. But Lithuanian grammar is just taken to extreme bullshit. It's the oldest surviving language in Europe but I hate it. I can speak/write better in English then I can in Lithuanian.

@Yoyodunno Suprisingly enough, considering Russian is with a different alphabet or whatever you might call it (Kirilica) It's actually pretty easy to read.

Also a fun fact, my yearly Russian grade (sounds stupid as I don't know how to call it) has always been 7-9 (out of 10), English as always been a 10, and Lithuanian only barely a 6 or 7. Which sucks because I need it in order to get into med school.
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 22, 2010,
Mandarin (chinese) is the way to go... maybe french... indian?
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
You should really become fluent in Spanish. It'll be more useful than having two languages you're not fluent in. Once you're fluent in Spanish you can start thinking about expanding into more languages.

Career wise, it will be more useful to have a strong grasp of two languages as opposed to a strong grasp of one and an extra two which you're not particularly strong with. You're just about as useful as someone that only knows English.

And trust me, when you're thrown in the deep end, it will seem like all you learnt in your Spanish classes is useless. It's the only way to learn. You should try and get some sort of work as an intern in Spain half way through your degree, or something like that. That way you'll really learn Spanish.

*looks through page*

Really, really useful stuff. They seem to pop up just about everywhere after you first learn about them.
Last edited by Confusius at Jul 22, 2010,
Ok, I can see how Russian would be hard. I've heard that lots of the Asian languages (like Korean) are like that...different words for things that seem exactly the same in English.

I'm definitely looking to do a study abroad! I do see the point of becoming fluent in two languages...I shall try to study only Spanish in my free time. I'll also try reading books. I think all that I got out of my schooling in it was a big vocabulary lesson, so now I need to learn the language itself.

I really think that Math is the universal language, which is incredibly awesome. I have funny little ways of remembering the integral and derivative rules..I'm seriously excited about starting anew in Math.

I guess I've concluded that I will focus solely on Spanish (Latin American). If I do go to Spain, would I be completely screwed not using vosotros? Ah..or should I just learn Spain Spanish now?

Learn french, if you can speak french, english and spanish , you can communicate with most people around the world. Italian is beatifull but not really usefull and spanish is prettier than italian anyway. German sucks , they have a lot of annoying rules and is one of the ugliest languages known to man imo.Russian is really awesome and it would be cool if you could speak it but it's not used as often as french.
So if you want to learn an awsome language learn russian , if you want something more usefull take french.
Right now I'm reading Peter Pan in Spanish. Should I try to read it and think of pictures of the words in my head, or translate to English while reading? I did nothing but translate during school, and I think this is why I'm not that great at it. How long should it take to get to where I can actually think in Spanish?

Page 1 of 3