Poll: who here actually owns what they recommend??
Poll Options
View poll results: who here actually owns what they recommend??
i have or have owned it
90 78%
i've tried it extensively-band mate has it
39 34%
i've demoed it @ the music store
43 37%
i don't know chit i just read about it a lot
17 15%
Voters: 116.
Page 1 of 2
I will always recommend a 6505 to someone who wants great metal tone on a reasonable budget, but that's not going to stop me from recommending someone a Dual Rectifier or a Diamond Phantom if they have more cash. I have played both but (unfortunately) own neither
You don't need personal experience with a 5150 to recommend it to someone looking for br00tz.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I often recommend JCM900s for punk and I own one of those (I often criticise it too). Much of my gear is rare or custom so I can't recommend those.
Oh, I often recommend the Quadraverb and Korg rack tuners and I own those. A lot of gear I recommend I have owned in the past or used. Often it's stuff other band members used. I can Marshall Valvestates because a band member had one - which almost got him booted out. I was never tone deaf enough to buy one myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by nightraven
i don't think it really matters
you get people who don't own the gear and have no clue about it or anything but still recommend it
and you get people who do own the gear and have only tried that piece of gear and think it's the best thing ever

i know. i just thought the poll would be interesting & who is actually honest about it.
and when you reply name a specific product & why you polled that way.

personally i'd only recommend things i've owned or played through quite a bit.
Quote by blues n cues
i know. i just thought the poll would be interesting & who is actually honest about it.
and when you reply name a specific product & why you polled that way.

And generally that's how it should be
Your poll options are dodgey. The choices aren't mutually exclusive so without a preference system it is unanswerable for me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i recomend only what i play. people hate marshall. but i love its tone. i'm not saying i'm not up for trying anything else. but i can't recomend a dual rectifier if i haven't played one. just like everyone seems to do.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
I have a pretty wide range of experience with amps and pedals, and I've owned quite a few throughout my tenure as a guitar player. I've also played with many other musicians, and their tones give me a good idea of what to recommend and what not.
Really the only thing I constantly recommend is the Fulltone OCD overdrive pedal. I've owned 5 or 6 overdrives (including Maxons and Tubescreamers), and none of them compare to the Fulltone.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Quote by blues n cues

That's what I do. I can't recommend something I haven't tried myself.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Quote by Cathbard
Your poll options are dodgey. The choices aren't mutually exclusive so without a preference system it is unanswerable for me.

how's it dodgey?
thats the best i could think of @ the moment(lack of sleep mod).

a)either you own it
b)you've used it a lot
c)you tried it out a couple times
or
d)you just hop on the bandwagon

is that better?
I try to keep my rec's to what I know, which is why I never reccomend a metal amp or anything. I know what's the "done thing" though so if someone asks I can point them to it (i.e 6505 for metal) but I avoid stuff I don't know.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Have it or owned it,

Tested it extensively/friend has it
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Quote by drugfreeboy
i recomend only what i play. people hate marshall. but i love its tone. i'm not saying i'm not up for trying anything else. but i can't recomend a dual rectifier if i haven't played one. just like everyone seems to do.

i recommend certain marshalls & i have 1 again and i recommend certain fenders that i have owned or played through etc.

people that hate marshalls never had a plexi,super lead,jcm, or jtm.
but it's all preference.
Quote by blues n cues
people that hate marshalls never had a plexi,super lead,jcm, or jtm. but it's all preference.

people really hate them here for some reason. i understand you souldn't limit yourself but if you decided that thats what you want the last thing you want to see is "why limit yourself? get a mesa dual rectifier" i think we should stop recomending a mesa everytime some says they want a marshall. thats the most recomended amp around here IMO.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Quote by drugfreeboy
people really hate them here for some reason. i understand you souldn't limit yourself but if you decided that thats what you want the last thing you want to see is "why limit yourself? get a mesa dual rectifier" i think we should stop recomending a mesa everytime some says they want a marshall. thats the most recomended amp around here IMO.

It's rare to see someone with a budget of over $500 and I hardly ever see Mesa recommended, unless by Mesa you mean Peavey Vypyr
I reccomend things i own, have played, or know a bit about from reviews and vids.

Its up to whoever recieves the advice to get off their ass and play it for themselves and decide if it suits them. Nobody else knows whatd suit them. So why does it matter if i havent played it.

I mean, thats how you decide you wanna try something out, do a bit of research in it, if its sounds like it could be for you, then you go have a look.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
It's rare to see someone with a budget of over $500 and I hardly ever see Mesa recommended, unless by Mesa you mean Peavey Vypyr

i see it alot. when people go "i think i'm going to get a marshal amp, i like the tone and i'm really interested in buying one. what do you guys think?" then the first resonse is alway "why do you want a marshall? they are overpriced and don't sound that good. you can get better. get a mesa dual rectifier"
Quote by AxSilentxLine

well-and no offense to anyone,but there are a lot of low budget new players & kids around here.

like orange-everyone recommends an orange amp but in the olden days(sic) i only saw orange amps on bbc's rock & roll circus & that was deep purple,black sabbath,the who,the stones..etc
thats because thats what the tv station bought for a backline & we all know none of those bands ever used those amps.

maybe orange has come that far-i don't know(even though i have an orange tolex marshall)-ugliest damn thing i ever bought but the U of tennesee & texas longhorn fans think it's great. go figger.

jet city-gc in nashville never has them in stock
bugera-same- only the 5wt is in stock
baron- lovely amp & i've talked to the owner for hours but unless i drive to wichita to try one..

so there ya go.
sorry for hyping the post but-

another thing for new buyers is-
who services what brands in your area/shop.

my local shops always give a lifetime service warranty on any brand they sell.
Recommending amps is a funny thing I think. For example , you can get a metal tone out of a lot of amps - 5150, JSX, Jet City, Carvin Legacy, Mesa Recto, Engl, Marshalls but who knows if they person will actually like it.

Not really sure what my point is.

Anyway for the most part I try to only recommend things I've owned or played extensively. Other than that I just do my best to point someone in the right direction.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by Cathbard
I often recommend JCM900s for punk and I own one of those (I often criticise it too). Much of my gear is rare or custom so I can't recommend those.
Oh, I often recommend the Quadraverb and Korg rack tuners and I own those. A lot of gear I recommend I have owned in the past or used. Often it's stuff other band members used. I can Marshall Valvestates because a band member had one - which almost got him booted out. I was never tone deaf enough to buy one myself.

You almost kicked someone out the band because you didn't like their amp? Dick move right there. Maybe they liked their amp more than yours, wouldn't give them the right to tell you what amp you should have.
Quote by Zoot Allures
You almost kicked someone out the band because you didn't like their amp? Dick move right there. Maybe they liked their amp more than yours, wouldn't give them the right to tell you what amp you should have.

i was actually in that predicament once because our other guitar player had a peavey renound 2x12 & my marshall was stuck on 220v so i had 1/2 the power.
the local peavey dealer offered me a trade- my 1st run jcm800 2204 1/2 stack + $500 cash for a $280 peavey renound...nope

long story short- mine got fixed for free(from my music store) & a week later he(the other guitarist) had a marshall & has owned it since 1982.....so there ya go.

i'm not hyping Marshall just saying, if you're in a band w/ a talented musician & his tone is crap- either change the tone or change the man.

get professional & get recording- record companies may boot a member because it doesn't work for sales....

(oops precoffee mod- peavey renowned.. sheesh the internet is making me illiterate)
Last edited by blues n cues at Jul 22, 2010,
I have only recommended or commented on something I own or have owned in the past. Trying it out in the store is marginal, you are not using your own gear to see how it sounds w/ what you have and are familiar with. Giving your opinion or comment on gear because of reviews are marginal, it's not you personal experience of the gear, just from what you've read. IMHO.
I reccoment stuff I own or have owned, or tried with a band mate or at a music strore. 75% of the time if I don't know what the title thread is stating I won't even click on it.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I only recommend what I have, but I never say it's the best option, just that I know it to be a good option. Even if I've played it in a shop, it's not long enough for me to form a full opinion, and therefore recommend it, or the opposite, to people.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I only reccomend what I have or have owned. I've gone through alot of stuff and finally feel contempt with my current setup for the first time in a LONG time.
My Equipment

Guitar - Ibanez Jem7V
Amp - Peavey Valveking (1x12 Combo)
Pedals - Line 6 M13
i usually reccomend stuff i own before anything else actually.

i used to own an avt50 and i probably jock that around a lot to people who can't afford all tube. i also recommend my 5150 and ts9 a lot as well.
I rarely recommend what I already own, because my setup does not work well/would be inconvenient for a majority of guitar players.

I do, however, recommend gear that I have researched and played.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by AcousticMirror
no one ever listens to me .

it's all relative-or in my state..they've tried a relative....

btw- it's peavey renowned- the internet is making me illiterate too...

granted we can't recommend a marshall jcm800 2204 50to to a dude playing c# sludge metal w/ out saying a 7 string guitar & a 4x12 & 1x15" cab(there's yer clue for early dimebag fans),eq,tube screamer,etc...

i just thought i'd be good for newbs to say- here's what i got,it's this reliable,& here's what i do..
instead of 1000 posts saying- i'm looking for a new amp because my line 6 sucks.
Sometimes i recommend stuff i have only listened to but never tried but most times i recommend either something i own/have owned or something i've tried.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

I own a Peavey 6505+, as does everyone else & their dog these days which I always recommend. I also recommend Diezel amplifiers and I have an Einstein
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I've used a decent amount of gear. Which is what I feel most comfortable recommending.
But I know about quite a bit more gear than I've actually owned or even used.

If I think a piece of gear I haven't used would be a good match for someone, I'll still tell them to go check it out, though I'll usually be clear that I haven't tried it myself.

I don't see anything wrong with that..
I very rarely recommend things I haven't owned or played. The only regular exception is Splawn since so many people I trust love them.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I voted for all four.

Sometimes, with something that is only available in Australia for instance, if I've read enough about it and watched / listened to enough clips then I might feel like recommending it. But I try and state that I haven't personally tried the item in discussion.

Other times I've only played the amp / pedal / guitar for half an hour at low volumes in a busy shop, but I can still feel that is adequate enough to suggest something. It's entirely up to me, really.

Then there are other times where a friend owns an item and I've played it many, many times, or that I've bought myself. I often buy things and send them back. It's easier than spending a fortune on a holiday every time I get GAS.
Page 1 of 2