Hey,

i've been practicing my strict alternate picking lately just using a 1-2-3-4 pattern and variations of this up and down the neck and various 3nps scales.

Im busy learning a song by This Or The Apocalypse - Lamnidae and am just wondering how others would pick this section since my current picking feels abit awkward since i usually try to outside pick things like this.

C#|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G#|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E |-----------------------10--9----------------------------10-9--------------|
B |--------12--10---------------10---------12---10-----------------10-12-----|
F#|-------------------------------------------------------------10-----------|
B |-8-8-8----8----8-8-8-8---8------8-8-8-8----8----8-8-8-8-------------------|

Im starting with a downstroke but when i get to the first "10" (D) on the E string i end up having to inside pick the note which for me feels abit awkward.

Whats your guys advice i thought about downpicking all the pedal notes but dunno :P
- Cort X-2
- ESP EC-1000
- RGA 121 Prestige VLF
- Roland Cube 20x
- Peavey 6505+ 112
- POD x3
I'd alternate pick it, starting on a downstroke. Just work on it until the inside picking stops feeling awkward, you have to develop proficiency with both inside and outside picking.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Cool, will try doing that im just trying to make sure i have as little tension as possible and when i go for that down stroke it feels like im making a HUGE movement so i guess work on it at lower speeds :O
- Cort X-2
- ESP EC-1000
- RGA 121 Prestige VLF
- Roland Cube 20x
- Peavey 6505+ 112
- POD x3
well this is more of a string skipping lick which I tend to generally move to the skipped strings with a down stroke and maybe use more of a pattern like this for it. (for the first 7 notes as an example) d-u-d-d-d-d-d so it's always starting a string with a down stroke you could mess with more of an alternate picking and going d-u-d-u-d-u-d-etc.. it's all comfort man.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
I'd outside pick as many of the string skips as possible, but then i'd strictly alternate pick it to help the feel and flow of the piece, so you'd have to learn to inside pick. It's a good exercise actually.
Quote by Aleksi
I'd alternate pick it, starting on a downstroke. Just work on it until the inside picking stops feeling awkward, you have to develop proficiency with both inside and outside picking.

Yeah, I'd do this or hybrid pick it, depending on the sound I'm after and the tempo.
Thanks for the reply guys!!

Yeah don't think hybrid would work tempo of the song is 220bmp those are 8th notes . It's quite shocking how iv'e been neglecting inside picking

So other than practicing this song, does anyone know of or have any good exercises for inside or outside picking
- Cort X-2
- ESP EC-1000
- RGA 121 Prestige VLF
- Roland Cube 20x
- Peavey 6505+ 112
- POD x3
^ make your own up. Take a key, practice three nps scales (which force you to do both in and outside picking) and other things in key which work on the picking.
Quote by gl1tchzz
Yeah don't think hybrid would work tempo of the song is 220bmp those are 8th notes . It's quite shocking how iv'e been neglecting inside picking

It probably would if you practiced it enough, watch this video from about 2:25 onwards and watch the hybrid picked insanity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy7bOAzq_24&feature=related

Also worth noting that Joe Haley from Psycroptic uses hybrid picking in his riffs a fair bit as well.

Edit: Not saying you should neglect your alternate picking, just saying that hybrid picking really is an option if you want to practice it enough.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 23, 2010,
Another great riff to try your strict alternate picking on is Technical DIfficulties - Racer X!
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
it's just strange... I guess every person is different!
I have the opposite problem: I can't do proper and fast outside picking, so I construct all my fast speedy lead lines in a way I only have inside picking :-)