I find I'm putting pressure on my left thumb that stays stationary between my index and middle finger (behind the fret board) and after a while it tends to hurt. Is this normal? I find it's harder to put effort into not putting pressure on my thumb then not and I'm concerned because I'd like to play for a long while and I don't want to be putting time into a technique that could lead to a hand injury in the long run.
Everything is divisible by metal- Michael Angel Batio
It's more practice than anything really, building up that muscle etc etc

It's about putting enough pressure into it - but not exerting the power required
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Try using your wrist as leverage to fret the chord, instead of simply suqeezing the neck inbetween your fingers and your thumb.

While fretting the chord, drop your wrist towards the neck. Maybe you already do this and your issue is unrelated... but that's my thought.

Another tip is to "pull" on the fret board. Your right hand keeps the guitar in place, and you pull on the enck, fretting the strings in the process. Really you could fret this way without your thumb even touching the neck.

I find I use a combination of leverage, "pulling" and squeezing.... depending on the situation. Very rarely am I just squeezing the neck up and down the fretboard.
Quote by Concat
Try using your wrist as leverage to fret the chord, instead of simply suqeezing the neck inbetween your fingers and your thumb.

While fretting the chord, drop your wrist towards the neck. Maybe you already do this and your issue is unrelated... but that's my thought.

Another tip is to "pull" on the fret board. Your right hand keeps the guitar in place, and you pull on the enck, fretting the strings in the process. Really you could fret this way without your thumb even touching the neck.

I find I use a combination of leverage, "pulling" and squeezing.... depending on the situation. Very rarely am I just squeezing the neck up and down the fretboard.

Chords aren't really an issue for me that way; I'm just noticing when I play scales my thumb tends to put more pressure then usual. I can pick the scale without using my thumb but I can't seem to find the middle ground... Know what I mean?
I suppose. You may just be apply too much force. It doesn't take a lot to fret a single string remember. Too much force can also produce a sharp note, and it can slow ya down.
I think I'll just slow it down and retrain my fast picking so I'm hardly pressing on my thumb at all. I think my main issue is I'm really used to fretting on an acoustic, which for anyone who's played one knows that there's significantly more pressure involved then on an electric with extra lights.
Sorry to double post but I found the source of my problem. The day I found my thumb was hurting was also the day I was sanding plasic for eight hours... Feel kinda silly asking the question after I realized that.