Page 1 of 2
Right, I've been toying with a sort of political thriller type deal in my head recently.

Essentially, this is what it will be, more or less.

• British or American consultant is invited to Latin American country to help them with a big mineral find
  • All other consultants are killed by some group or other
  • Leaving main character as the only one with any knowledge of the mineral find
  • Various factions chase after him, to claim the find, thriller-y ness ensues.

More or less.

My main problem is what the guy's knowledge is. It can't just be a CD or something, because they'll have various opportunities to search him. It has to be some knowledge that he memorised. My current idea is to have it be the co-ordinates of the mineral find, but there's no credible reason for there not to be any documented record of them. And I doubt it's worth the effort on the part of the groups, since it probably wouldn't be too hard to trace where the surveyors worked, etc.

So yeah. What secret could the geologist type dude have that would deny access to the find?

Password is a possibility, but given one of the groups will be CIA-backed, I don't think it'd be realistic for it to stand up for much longer than a day.
Divine inspiration.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
its nukes that the CIA is testing there the mine place is really a secret nuke testing base!
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
He knows who the Jonas Brothers' drummer is.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by gabcd86
Could he be, say, an angel from the Gods?

Sure

Maybe a CD surgically hidden in his body.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by blake1221
Wait....how about this.....the secret........is in his HEAD!

He said that

EDIT: Could the mine be underwater? Even just under a man made lake would work. And they can't force their way in because the airlock would be open and flood the mine, ruining it?
he could know something about how to get the stuff, and without that knowledge they will release all hell on mankind nuclear fallout mass poisoning doomsday-esqueness and what not.
It's a long shot, but maybe he has intimate knowledge of a particularly dense forested area?
Admittedly it's very silly, as there'd be mroe people with such knowledges, and him not being a native would likely know far less than natives, but I've seen movies revolve around far sillier things before.
EDIT: Could the mine be underwater? Even just under a man made lake would work. And they can't force their way in because the airlock would be open and flood the mine, ruining it?

EDIT: And maybe it was documented but the local government won't accent bribes?
Last edited by captaincrunk at Jul 22, 2010,
Well not really a solution to your very problem but a way it could turn out even more tension packed - what if they (the group members) were killed because they were about to find something better kept secret by whoevers party committed the murder? Like, say, illegal and / or exceedingly dangerous experiments? Only the one geologist guy who survived knows what to find there and from then on it's obvious why everyone chases him. To keep it extra thrilling you could reveal the secret near the 3/4 mark of the plot.

Sorry, that's the only solution I could imagine

EDIT: also, add explosions and sex. trust me, I've done this before.
I'm going in;

Rambo style
Last edited by flamster at Jul 22, 2010,
Maybe he was forced to have a microchip implanted in his head, and doesn't actually know what's on it - just that he is told that if it is removed he will be brutally destroyed by some biological process* and thus he is only really trying to protect his own arse?

*seriously, make up some bollocks - Hollywood doesn't care about being remotely scientifically accurate, why should you?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Flash drives can easily fit into certain body orifices.

Err...

On a serious note, what if the entrance to the mine is located several miles away from the actual mine itself, and he has mental knowledge of where the entrance is.

Edit: Building off a previous idea, what if the entrance is underwater? Or built into a riverbed or behind a waterfall or something?
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Quote by InfiniteRain
Flash drives can easily fit into certain body orifices.

Err...

On a serious note, what if the entrance to the mine is located several miles away from the actual mine itself, and he has mental knowledge of where the entrance is.

Edit: Building off a previous idea, what if the entrance is underwater? Or built into a riverbed or behind a waterfall or something?

Exactly. It's a lot easier to booby trap something than to hide it in this day and age of satellites.
Quote by captaincrunk
He said that

my bad

Okay, how about this. The entrance to the mine (which was originally found by Aztecs, but then the white man came and took their land [thus political mumbo-jumbo can be whined about]) has a shit ton of booby traps. Like...arrows that shoot from the walls, and a giant boulder that chases you. Only the handsome geologist knows how to navigate successfully through the entrance to get to the treasure....erm...minerals.
Quote by captaincrunk
Maybe the mine would collapse without his knowledge of the minerals there, crushing whatever it was they were looking for.

So some form of scientific bollocks that means that if they don't go at it properly, it'll collapse, or flood. That could work.
Quote by gabcd86
So some form of scientific bollocks that means that if they don't go at it properly, it'll collapse, or flood. That could work.

Flooding is much more "possible". Less likely to be questioned. Like "why wouldn't they just re-quarry the mine???"
Is it absolutely essential that this information be revealed? I mean, there are plenty of cases where you never find out what exactly the macguffin is, you just know that it's important...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The mine is the only place on Earth that houses unobtanium!

I just turned this into an Avatar fanfic
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
The mine is the only place on Earth that houses unobtanium!

I just turned this into an Avatar fanfic

Perhaps you can say it's the only place in the world where an element with 300protons forms naturally and you need to protect it from terrorists? Call it Fission Explosium.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by captaincrunk
Flooding is much more "possible". Less likely to be questioned. Like "why wouldn't they just re-quarry the mine???"

Indeed. Maybe some knowledge of the make-up of the surface and how pressure could affect it, and! The Government are in a rush to access the minerals, because they need funds urgently to re-finance their debt, so they can't wait to re-survey it!

EDIT:

Oh, and Zaphod, I see your point, but I think it is fairly essential. Not necessarily to know what the issue is, but just what form it takes. For example, under this idea, the various groups would want him to map out access points or something, instead of just telling them a code.
Last edited by gabcd86 at Jul 22, 2010,
Don't want any implants or sci-fi-esque stuff. This guy can't be a chosen one of any sort.
Quote by gabcd86
Oh, and Zaphod, I see your point, but I think it is fairly essential. Not necessarily to know what the issue is, but just what form it takes. For example, under this idea, the various groups would want him to map out access points or something, instead of just telling them a code.

Yeah, fair enough really, if I was writing I'd probably keep it secret... mainly because then I don't have to know what it is myself but also because I like that kind of storytelling.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yeah, fair enough really, if I was writing I'd probably keep it secret... mainly because then I don't have to know what it is myself but also because I like that kind of storytelling.

Yah, planning to sidestep the issue of what's actually wrong with the thing that he knows about.
maybe he doesnt know whatever it is hes supposed to know but he is the only one who knows where to get the information.

or maybe the mine was underwater and it collapsed and its inaccessable now but hes the only one who knows where the only other source of the mineral is.

or maybe the people who are after him only know the mineral is special for some reason but hes the only one who knows why.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
The guy has one key, while to access the mineral find, three keys are required. But that key is in fact all three keys, made of a shape memory alloy, so the hero must take it to the nearby blast furnace and to the frozen room where he faced off against Vulcan Raven.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The guy has one key, while to access the mineral find, three keys are required. But that key is in fact all three keys, made of a shape memory alloy, so the hero must take it to the nearby blast furnace and to the frozen room where he faced off against Vulcan Raven.

OMG! It's brilliant!

Wait a minute, I've heard that somewhere before!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by gabcd86
Don't want any implants or sci-fi-esque stuff. This guy can't be a chosen one of any sort.

As the only one left alive, isn't he already a sort of chosen one?

Anyway, the co-ordinates is a decent idea, and so is, like, a twist.

The mine: not a mine! It is actually a chemical plant that's producing a biological agent, which they plan to unleash on a population. It's not deadly, but they also produce a cure there so they can get rich in the aftermath. The Guy knows the formula of both the agent and the antidote, but he's afraid to tell anybody about it because he's found out that one of the organizations trying to "stop" production really just want the formula for themselves for the same reasons, so all of them very well might.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Why doesn't he have a picture of whatever it is on his phone.

i.e. the mineral find, or whatevers so secret about it. (I dont know, nukes stashed or something, an assasination on site etc. )

It would make sense for the man to get conclusive proof otherwise no one would believe him.

EDIT: Make his phone be on the Orange Network Make some money, get Orange Wednesdays and get your own Orange advert movie spoof
Last edited by ultrasonic at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by ultrasonic
Why doesn't he have a picture of whatever it is on his phone.

i.e. the mineral find, or whatevers so secret about it. (I dont know, nukes stashed or something, an assasination on site etc. )

It would make sense for the man to get conclusive proof otherwise no one would believe him.

EDIT: Make his phone be on the Orange Network Make some money, get Orange Wednesdays and get your own Orange advert movie spoof

I already have the storyboard for the Orange advert for the film in my head
It's a collapsing country, the big secret is they're offering the radioactive material in said mines to the highest bidder for profit.... No matter who wants it.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
shit brahs, tom clancy is on UG
Quote by Metalology
You'll probably get some praise from people in as sad of a situation as you or maybe some laughs from people who enjoy your lame sense of humor.

lolwut

a blog that should be floating in the toilet. toiletfloater.blogspot.com
Quote by slight☼return
shit brahs, tom clancy is on UG

Nah, it's either Andy McNab or Dan Brown

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
He could well have something like a CD or a recording of a meeting he secretly took, and then hidden it somewhere only he knows, and they are trying to get the information out of him.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Page 1 of 2