I was at a junk shop today and bought an Alvarez electric guitar neck for $7.00. I wanted to turn it into a neck that I could string and use to practice my fingering while on the train or in the car etc. What I was thinking is to put another nut on the space past the 21st fret and then wrapping the excess string around or something... Any better ways to go about this?

In addition I was wondering if anyone had a better idea as to what I could do with this like maybe trying to make it a fretless (with the Vigier style steel fingerboard) or something along those lines if you think my other idea is stupid. Thanks for the help.
you could use some sort of blank nut material to hold the strings at the other end, at the 3rd last fret or so

then maybe use top and bottom string through ferrules on the highest fret to hold the ball ends in place?

the scale length would be super ****ed and nothing would sound in tune..but it'd be useful to practice fingering and stuff I guess
you could always take a slab of cheap wood, and cut it into a traveler shaped guitar (some really small body) and put in a bridge to hold strings. that way it would be relatively in tune, and you could really practice playing guitar without building one for real.
Aye, if you wanted to have the feel and not sound, you could just bolt it onto a wood block or something with a violin-esque bridge. You might even take it one step further and add a leg curve, so you can actually balance it. Then you might make some strap pegs.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Jul 22, 2010,
Hmm all good suggestions. I'll have to fool around with it for a bit and see what works. Thanks everyone.
No need for electronics but I think you'll wish you made it full scale so you can hear if your fingering is right. Without the audible feedback it would get real boring real fast.
Quote by User_Name336
you could always take a slab of cheap wood, and cut it into a traveler shaped guitar (some really small body) and put in a bridge to hold strings. that way it would be relatively in tune, and you could really practice playing guitar without building one for real.

^This. I can see cwhy you'd want to just practice your fingering but why not add another 6" and you'll be able to properly pratice.

You may as well thow a pickup in so you can plug into say an amplug or a smokey amp from time to time.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-