Page 1 of 2
I got a new amp. Here it is.

It's a Fryette Pittbull Ultralead. It's a 3 channel amplifier powered by the tears of orphans and the skins of baby seals.

Kidding. Here are the real specs.

3 Channels. 120 Watts. Powered by 4 KT88s. 6 Preamp tubes. 4 12ax7s in the gain stage, 1 12at7 as the buffer, 1 12ax7 as the PI.

From panel taken from Fryette's website.

http://www.fryette.com/images/product/UltraLead_FP_Detail.jpg

From left to right:

Hi/low input: Rather then just padding the signal, the hi/low input also slightly changes the coloring of the signal making it brighter on the hi and darker on the lo input.

Lead Channel Controls: Edge - boosts the according to where on the neck the notes are being played. Gain - controls the preamp gain. HI/Normal - 4 stage/3 stage gain selector. Volume - second gain control for the lead channel.

Rhythm Channel Controls: Boost - saturation, solo boost for the rhythm channel. Others same as the lead.

Lead/Rhythm Tone Stack - Treble/Mids/Bass. Shift - changes the mid notch shelving of the tone stack, providing a mid boost across the frequency range.

Clean Channel - Volume - preamp level for the clean channel. Boost - saturation, solo boost, bright - bright boost, others are the same as the lead/rhythm channel.

Equalization - True Active graphic eq like the one found on the Mesa Mark series. Provides -12/+12db of cut/boost across 6 eq sliders.

Volume - Master volume for all 3 channels.

Standby/hi/lo switch - Full power/half power selector

Power - turns the power on.

Rear pannel

Important things: Power/amp mute - genius feature for wet/dry rigging
Slave/line-out - for running into a snaxfxultra
Eq in/out, FX loop in/out, FX serial/parallel, FX hi/lo input, FX level
presence, depth - looks like SMF ran out of room on the front.

Gut shots:

Lot's of board mounted components, power tubes, preamp tubes, other things. SMF defends it to the death. I don't really have a problem with it at all.

Reason for Purchase: I bought the Fryette Deliverance 120 last month and I fell in love with it immediately. Kt88s are my favorite tubes in the world. I also might hate the sound of full on power tube break up. It sounds like crunchy peanut butter or orange juice with pulp. Anyhow, the D120 is fantastic but it's a single channel amp with no fx loop. It's meant to be stripped down but it's almost a bit too simple for any real use other then recording. If it was in a combo it would be a great grab and go but it's not. However, I was concerned that adding a fx loop + channel switching would ruin the raw voicing of the amp. So...fry-off time.

Quick re-cap of the D120 -

120 watt head powered by 4 kt88s. 1 channel. 2 preamp gain controls - 1 master volume - standard tone stack + presence and depth.

The 120 just sounds raw. Like fight club raw. Like chewing glass raw. I really like how the amp is set up. The first preamp gain knob controls the first 2 or 3 gain stages and acts as a level control for the preamp. The second preamp gain knob controls only the last gain stage and acts as a saturation control for the preamp. The more/less switch selects 3 or 4 preamp gain stages. With this 3 controls it's possible to dial in the exact amount, saturation, and feel of the amp to a perfect degree. You can go from thick and crunchy classic rock, to even crunchier modern rock, to smooth liquid metal no problem. This amp easily has the same if not more gain then the SLO100. It's probably one of the highest gain amps I've heard.

Preliminary findings: I wish I could keep both amps. I might. It depends if I find something else cool I like. The D120 is kind of a one trick pony if the trick was to ****ing rock. The Ultralead however hits almost all the notes that the d120 does. It doesn't have the ability to independently dial in the last gain stage which means that there is not as much control over the saturation and voicing but the edge, shift, and boost along with the graphic eq allow a great deal of control in other ways. As such, the Ultralead's lead channel can sound like the D120 even if it doesn't quite feel that way. With the fx loop off and the graphic eq on it gets all the way there. The UL losses some of the punch when the FX loop is engaged and the EQ is disengaged though. If anything, the D120 has a little bit more gain saturation but the UL has it beat in terms of versatility. That settles the Fry-off.

UL review:

Lead Channel - Pretty much everything I ever wanted in a lead channel that's not a SLO. More gain then the XTC, Quickrod, Rivera Ktre, Orange RV100. Neck and neck with the slo. The boost, shift controls provide a level of dial in that the slo doesn't.

Rhythm channel - not sure what this is for? I'll just call it lead channel 2.

Clean Channel - Not Fuchs ods100 or fender blackface or rivera ktre cleans. Better cleans then the QR, RV100. The XTC probably edges this out if you can ever figure out how to dial it in properly.

Awesome Feature - Graphic EQ - this thing works like magic. Completely clean, transparent cut and boosting. I need to play around with this some more but I'm beginning to think I won't be able to live without one.

Annoying feature - Presence, Depth on the Back.

Conclusion - This amp feels to me like an different approach to the XTC's attempts at versatility. Instead of providing controls for everything, it provides controls for things that help you rock. I love the ability to switch the fx loop out. I love the slave out for running into my computer. I love that you can shut things off when you aren't using them. I love the way this amp sounds. Ultralead and SlO friends forever.

commence flaming below.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
the pitbull ultralead and the slo both wins.

unless a Fortin Natas falls into my lap I think I'm done with those two heads.

I picked up the Ultralead for 1600 and the Slo for 1900. So I'm still well within budget.

The SLO and the UL just do such different things that I wouldn't be happy not being able to keep one of them. The slo runs kt66s or 6l6s, the ul runs kt88s or 6550s. Their voiced really really differently and don't feel alike at all. The ul is stiff and really unforgiving. The slo sags a bit more and is just a bit looser. The UL can hit almost every note the d120 can but it can't hit any of the notes that the slo can and vice versa.
HNAD, that's a real beauty. Any chance of clips?

Also, you have got to be the worst GAS enabler around.
This was a GREAT read, AM. Really informative.

I'm actually a bit lost, though, at this point... what amps do you currently own, which ones will you be keeping and for what purpose?
Keep playing through the UL. It will make you a better player. When I played it I was like "shit I suck."

Then i plugged into my Baron and well I said the same thing.

But really the UL really brings out your mistakes and flaws in playing. Since you hear them more it makes you want to get rid of them and your playing will eventually get much tighter.

HNAD
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Cool, glad you're liking it.

Voicing on the one I had was just too dry for me, amp sounded lifeless. I'd definitely like to give this one another shot though, some of the tones I've heard out of them on recordings were the best I've ever heard. It just didn't meet any of my expectations when I finally got one

Disagree on the cleans though, the RV100's cleans were magical with the reverb engaged, the ULs were just alright.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Cool, glad you're liking it.

Voicing on the one I had was just too dry for me, amp sounded lifeless. I'd definitely like to give this one another shot though, some of the tones I've heard out of them on recordings were the best I've ever heard. It just didn't meet any of my expectations when I finally got one

Disagree on the cleans though, the RV100's cleans were magical with the reverb engaged, the ULs were just alright.

I'd agree with you there. The cleans are stiff with the reverb off but once the reverb its another story entirely. I really like the RV. I'm still waiting for the shop to get in a mkII. I just wanted a little bit more of everything with the RV and from what I've read that's exactly what the mkII does too.

THe ultralead is a definitely a little bit difficult to dial in though I'm sure you did everything to it that I would think of doing. It's definitely got a lot of oops I made it suck choices that you can do to it. The presence and depth on the back makes it kinda annoying to test as well. I like the dryness actually. As of right now...I can pretty much get a bunch of great sounds and voicings on every channel with the EQ engaged and the loop bypassed. I'm going to try and see if I can get usable sounds with the loop engaged and the FX bypassed.

It already feels a bit better to me then the XTC though. The XTC for me was a few really good voicings and a lot of bad ones. The UL's knobs and options try to minimize the bad ones. The fryettes definitely do not feel like any of the other amps I've tried so far.

Quote by kylendm
Keep playing through the UL. It will make you a better player. When I played it I was like "shit I suck."

Then i plugged into my Baron and well I said the same thing.

But really the UL really brings out your mistakes and flaws in playing. Since you hear them more it makes you want to get rid of them and your playing will eventually get much tighter.

HNAD

Fun fact. A lot of people complain the prs's have a small dead spot on the g string on the 12th fret. Yes they do. I can only hear it on the ul.

Quote by AngryGoldfish
This was a GREAT read, AM. Really informative.

I'm actually a bit lost, though, at this point... what amps do you currently own, which ones will you be keeping and for what purpose?

SLO - for rocking. UL for metaling, 7 string and baritone. Fuchs ods100 for reverb/cleans. I really don't have a place or a need for the flexi50 but I can't force myself to even consider selling it. I learned so much about tubes from it. It'd be like selling your nanny. .
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
It sounds like crunchy peanut butter or orange juice with pulp.

Best Description EVER.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Aaron Turner from ISIS uses the UL live, and said that it's the most important part of his live tone.

Therefore I want one

on the new amp
Wait, so AM, one question..

br00t4lz?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
no not really. more of a creamy clean sound.

it's really good for motown.

family is still in town i'll try and record some stuff after they leave.
ah well

HNAD!
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Quote by AcousticMirror
The ul is stiff and really unforgiving. The slo sags a bit more and is just a bit looser.

calling the SLO saggy is a longshot, but I dig where u r comin from comparing it to the UL, especially considering how much better the UL carries the low end.

...either way, dead sexy amps yo!
Are this many amps necessary?

Wtf am I saying, of course they are.

HNAD!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Dude. The SLO looks so alone in its corner.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by AcousticMirror
It's comparatively looser. it's like emma watson < miley cyrus < megan fox.

wait, im a bit drunk, but r u sayin emma watson is ugly? or meg fox is loose?

b/c i'd totally do (ya know, "doOOOoo") emma watson, and if megan fox is loose, why arent there any upskirt pics online (that i've found)???
Quote by GrisKy

b/c i'd totally do (ya know, "doOOOoo") emma watson, and if megan fox is loose, why arent there any upskirt pics online (that i've found)???

...Because the cameras are pointed at her thumbs.
Quote by GrisKy

I thought they were all pretty tight
I did go in the back door though.

jk
That "Edge" control sounds really really fun. Infact, I think I am going to quit playing guitar so instead of buying strings and picks I can save up for an UL.

Unforgiving too. I love unforgiving, it means that I can think I suck even more!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
HNAD AM, very helpful NAD as well.

..Well if I was buying a Fryette and played in high gain, well you know what I mean.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Seref

No matter how much you, me, or anyone else disagrees with AM about anything, HE OWNS A FUCKING VHT PITBULL UL!
Last edited by Tedward at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by GrisKy

ya that's all i'm saying it's just three names in a row.

the first is somethgin + or - the last.
Quote by Seref

Your cursor is incredibly gay.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Your cursor is incredibly gay.

Not my real cursor. Using Print Screen for the screenshot removes the pointer from the image. I made a quick arrow in Photoshop so I could have a pointer in there.

I just use the regular Windows 7 one
So yeah, Emma Watson is pretty hot in the first movie (Sorcerer's Stone) but she seems to grow out of it in later films.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
So yeah, Emma Watson is pretty hot in the first movie (Sorcerer's Stone) but she seems to grow out of it in later films.

urh...

thinks about this one for a second.

umm.

to catch a predator?
Quote by Tedward
Dakota Fanning is the next big thing

+1

And your amps fuggen suck AM, just because it's not my NAD.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
h8 h8 h8

lol u cant even tune dah gittar. ur clipz suk.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I forgot to put a laughy face after that. Was a joke. HNAD!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
this is my most boring nad ever. i hate you pittbull ultralead. you're dead to me.
Quote by AcousticMirror
i hate you pittbull ultralead. you're dead to me.

The only person who could ever get off saying that... EVER
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Page 1 of 2