I've been getting pains in my wrist playing guitar, especially when playing the lower frets on the lower strings. I think it may possibly be from my fretting technique. Does any body have any tips about what I can do to try and fix my technique. It would be much appreciated. I've included pictures so that you can see how my wrist is at the moment when I'm fretting.

I just mentioned this in a previous thread, but try dropping your wrist. For example, in the last picture, you'd move your wrist towards the left. Right now your hand is at an angle of about 90 degrees and you're near the top of the fretboard. If you drop your wrist (aka bring it in close to the neck) you'll also notice a leverage effect on your fretting fingers, which in turn means you dont have to squeeze with your thumb as much.

Try cutting that angle down and see how you like it. Might feel unnatural at first cause you're not used to it, but it looks like it would give your wrist a bit of a break.
Quote by Concat
I just mentioned this in a previous thread, but try dropping your wrist. For example, in the last picture, you'd move your wrist towards the left. Right now your hand is at an angle of about 90 degrees and you're near the top of the fretboard. If you drop your wrist (aka bring it in close to the neck) you'll also notice a leverage effect on your fretting fingers, which in turn means you dont have to squeeze with your thumb as much.

Try cutting that angle down and see how you like it. Might feel unnatural at first cause you're not used to it, but it looks like it would give your wrist a bit of a break.

I do usually have my wrist fairly straight and close to the neck, but for chords and power chords, I can't arch my fingers or spread them out enough. It's rather frustrating.
Hmm well I dunno... but if it starts hurting, stop playing. You don't want to end up with carpal tunnel syndrome that's for sure.
Looks to me like your wrist is rather severely bent. I always play in such a position that the wrist is almost entirely straight; it only gets a few degrees of bend when I do barre chords.

Try adjusting your playing position with the instrument a bit higher after resting for a few days. As Concat says, CT is no fun.
I do usually have my wrist fairly straight and close to the neck, but for chords and power chords, I can't arch my fingers or spread them out enough. It's rather frustrating.

You don't need the wrist close to the neck, but having it fairly straight is pretty important. Try and tilt the neck up a little and adjust the angle you sit with the guitar - try putting on the other leg as well, that can help too.

And whereabouts in NI you from?
My wrist clicks a lot. Is that a bad thing?
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
Quote by Freepower
You don't need the wrist close to the neck, but having it fairly straight is pretty important. Try and tilt the neck up a little and adjust the angle you sit with the guitar - try putting on the other leg as well, that can help too.

And whereabouts in NI you from?

Thanks. Can't believe I didn't think about that, I play my acoustic and classical in the classical position, and it doesn't hurt then

Just outside Belfast.