I've been looking at the Martin LX1 for a while now as an option for a good, reasonably priced acoustic to take to college with me to just jam on my free time. I played one a little while ago and was impressed with the volume you can get out of it, as well as the tone.

I've been playing a Martin DX1 up to now, so the LX1 neck felt really nice.

Anyways, what do you all think of the Little Martin? Would it be a good purchase, or are there other nice, well-priced, extra-portable guitars I should consider?
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
you might want to try the laguna LD1, also called the little brat. to me, it has a more balanced sound than the little martin, and more overtones, probably due to the solid top. it also costs less.

on the other hand, if you really like the little martin, there's no reason not to buy it. obviously if you own a martin x series already, you're not concerned about possible issues with the HPL.
Quote by patticake
you might want to try the laguna LD1, also called the little brat. to me, it has a more balanced sound than the little martin, and more overtones, probably due to the solid top. it also costs less.

on the other hand, if you really like the little martin, there's no reason not to buy it. obviously if you own a martin x series already, you're not concerned about possible issues with the HPL.

The Little Martin LX1 he mentions does have a solid Sitka spruce top. The LXM or LXK2 is all laminate HPL. I don't know why one would buy the LXM or LXK2 for $279, when for just $20 more, $299,. one can buy the LX1 with a solid top.

The LXM seems to be more available though. I tried one in Best Buy yesterday (they did not have LX1), and was surprised at how much bass it got, from such a small guitar. Does the LD1 really sound as good?
Quote by maikii
I don't know why one would buy the LXM or LXK2 for $279, when for just $20 more, $299,. one can buy the LX1 with a solid top.

Well one reason which may or may not be valid is utility in hot dry climates. I live in Las Vegas, NV right in the middle of the Great Mojave Desert. The climate around here is heck on woods. I'm hoping the man made materials of my LXK2 will hold up without cracking. I'm just not into humidifiers and sealed rooms. I lost a beautiful set of African Blackwood bagpipes in about eight months due to this climate. I wouldn't want my guitar to suffer the same fate.
i've heard from several luthiers that martin's HPL - which is not regular laminate - is more prone to cracking. and even regular laminate guitars, which are more robust, will crack over time in a very dry environment. some people get lucky but most will find that their instruments or any thin wood will crack - some people i know had it happen fairly quickly, some it took quite a long time.

Quote by vegasgeorge
Well one reason which may or may not be valid is utility in hot dry climates. I live in Las Vegas, NV right in the middle of the Great Mojave Desert. The climate around here is heck on woods. I'm hoping the man made materials of my LXK2 will hold up without cracking. I'm just not into humidifiers and sealed rooms. I lost a beautiful set of African Blackwood bagpipes in about eight months due to this climate. I wouldn't want my guitar to suffer the same fate.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!