I play with a Gibson Les Paul studio and I am just looking for an amp to make it sound thick like it should. I don't need too much gain, just look for great tone and enough for sustaining awesome leads. I really like the way JCM 800s sound but i hear the cleans are crap. I could sacrifice some of the balls that the JCM 800 gives for good cleans, though I do like balls.

Would an amp with good cleans and a pedal such as a Carl Martin Plexitone suffice?
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Jul 22, 2010,
"I do like balls."
Nice.

I think you should be good with an amp with good cleans and a pedal
there are a few models of the JCM 800's. There are 50 watt and there are 100 watters. if you are focused on your cleans, but want the tone, I would suggest the 100 watt version. is you want to play leads, with sustain, I would suggest the 50 watter.

The 100 watter sounds like what you are looking for. give it a try and see what you think!
The budget really depends, I want great tone and I'm willing to pay for it but I don't want to overpay. Definitely willing to go used.

Right now I have a Peavey Classic 50, one of the speakers was replaced with an eminence but it doesn't sound good. Admittedly I bought the amp used around a year ago and haven't replaced any of the tubes so that may be the problem.

Cleans really aren't THAT big of a deal, but if there is going to be a seperate channel for cleans I don't want it to be crap, that's all.
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by WtrPlyr
I wouldn't say the JCM800 cleans are crap. It's just that it doesn't have a dedicated clean channel.

This. It doesn't have flat Fender cleans or sterile JC120 cleans, but there's nothing wrong with the ones it has.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
JCM800 cleans have character if you ask me, it's got the works. not as good as a plexi but that's what you get when you have more gain on tap
Quote by charles_ebarb
oh yea... are you looking for a 1/2 stack or a combo????

A combo sure seems more reasonable
Quote by WtrPlyr
I wouldn't say the JCM800 cleans are crap. It's just that it doesn't have a dedicated clean channel.

agreed. u could try a catalinbread DLS into a decent clean tube amp with SIMILAR results... not gonna give u balls of the 800, but will fool most audiences.
if you can get one second hand try a mesa boogie rectoverb combo 1x12 (dont be put off by it being a combo, it sounds better than most stacks i've played through). A buddy of mine picked one up, I was with him, we played it for hours. It sounds amazing. The clean is very punchy but it shines with chunky distortion. I don't know how to explain but many amps sounds like the speaker has a pillow over it but the rectoverb sounds so alive and organic... i dunno. Also it has amazing chunky sound but at the same time such crystal clarity!

However tone is subjective but if you can try one out at a shop go for it, you might just be suprised!
My Equipment

Guitar - Ibanez Jem7V
Amp - Peavey Valveking (1x12 Combo)
Pedals - Line 6 M13