Hi.
Over the last few months I have gradually begun to notice that on the silver bars that separate each fret on my fretboard, they are tiny dents on a few of them developing in similar places on each one. So when I try and bend the string, the string gets stuck in the hole and I have to force the string a little harder to get past these holes in certain places.
I was wondering whether the fretboard dividers (I don't know the proper term for them!!!!) can be replaced or fixed so that they are smooth again?
Thanks a lot.
Jack.
The dividers are called frets lol. As far as fixing them, yes its probably possible depending on how bad it is. Take it to your local guitar shop and get a price on how much it would be to get it fixed, otherwise you'll have to refret it.
Quote by act31
The dividers are called frets lol. As far as fixing them, yes its probably possible depending on how bad it is. Take it to your local guitar shop and get a price on how much it would be to get it fixed, otherwise you'll have to refret it.

Ah silly me lol

How much does it cost to refret a guitar, if you know?
Thanks!
how long have you had the guitar?, you could relevel the fretboard and recorwn the ffrets
its probably not as bad as you think. i have a squier strat from 1989 that still doesn't need to be refretted (i'm its second owner. i play it 3 hours per day plus gigs and have had it for 7 or so years). its JUST about there (give it another two - three years maybe). when you need it refretted, you'll know. it'll be incredibly difficult to play, notes will start to die half way through a bend, you'll have to put in a lot of force to keep them ringing, you may hit wood with your fingertip before string hits metal, etc.

a refretting can cost a few hundred dollars. yours may just need to be recrowned. that'll cost MUCH less. but! keep in mind that can only be done a few times before you need to completely refret the guitar. what you've described to me seems more like natural wear and tear than anything else.
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by MikeHYA
how long have you had the guitar?, you could relevel the fretboard and recorwn the ffrets

I've had it for about 2 and a half years I reckon, gigging and practising regularly.
Quote by MikeHYA
how long have you had the guitar?, you could relevel the frets and recrown them

Fixed. You don't clean the floor below the carpet to clean the carpet.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.