Are there any?
By raising, i mean turning the screws in such a way that they come out of the body more (just to clarify).
So, are there any benefits to having pickups particularly high, or low?
Sorry if there is a thread on this, but i was curious.

Cheers
Hmmmm, I've seen Dave Mustaine hit a note on the pick up. So you can get a really high note even if you only have 22 or 24 frets. It works, try it.
Well the further away they are, most of the time you won't get any sound out your amp cause their too far away from the pickups but I don't really think there is much difference. I usually have them about half an inch to about an inch away from my pickups and the tones fine.
From what I've read, if the pickups are closer to the strings you get a "hotter" and louder sound, if they're far from them you get a softer sound with a little less volume due to the distance.
Quote by dopelope
Hmmmm, I've seen Dave Mustaine hit a note on the pick up. So you can get a really high note even if you only have 22 or 24 frets. It works, try it.

I've heard of Kirk Hammet doing that too

Jay Turser: JT-134DC
Epiphone: G-400
Gibson: SG Special Faded Cherry

Line 6: Spider III 15-watt
Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
EH4800 Small Stone Phase Shifter
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Deltalab Tube Overdrive TO1
I found this:

Adjust your pickups in small increments using the screws on the sides. With single coils and humbuckers (double bars), you can change the tone of the guitar by moving pickups either lower or higher. Generally, when you move the pickup higher (closer to the strings), you get more sound and a brassier tone. When you move the pickup lower, you get a bit more of a muted tone.
I've always found it to be a gain thing; as in, when the pickups are closer to the strings it is a lot easier for them to pick up the vibrations of the strings, and vice versa for lower pickups. On all my guitars with humbuckers, the bridge humbucker is very close to the strings while there is more distance between the neck humbucker and the strings.
It is true that you get more output with pickups closer to the strings and a slightly brighter tone but you also lose sustain if they get too close as the magnetic field from the pickups interferes with the string's vibration.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
My bridge humbucker is so close to the string that I get handling noise from muting the strings to stop handling noise. I'll either drop the pickup a bit or try to mute the wound strings over the mid p/u. For now I put up with it cause I like the sound but at higher volume it will be a bit of a ball ache.
Got it:
Pacifica 604w, Hohner G3T, PRS SE Soapbar I, Schecter Ultra I
Fender 'evil' Twin, Marshall 2554 combo
I like my neck pickup low, I keep it flush with the mounting ring. You get less output but more clarity and I find that its more responsive to playing dynamics. The magnet can also have a slight dampening effect on the strings, I don't really find this to be a huge issue, I get most of the sustain I need from turning the volume up on a tube amp.
I like my pickups higher, it gives the guitar a little more balls.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
yeah what everyone else says. also, most humbuckers have tunable pole peices to tune individual strings. lots of weaking. those screws you see? well they are screws for a reason, and they are attached to magnets whichhave an effect on the field or whatever. so if your high e is weak, but you like everything else you can just adjust that one pole.

and yeah, there are generally harmonics right over the bridge pickup. on my epi es paul, the harmonics are convieniently DIRECTLY over the bridge pickup pole peices.
If you raise your pickups, you increase output. However, the closer the pickups are to the strings the stronger the magnetic force is on the strings; this means less sustain and if the pickups are really close it can pull the strings out of tune every time the string is plucked. Increasing your output by raising the pickups also reduces clarity and response.

The is basically no reason to raise your pickups. If you actually need more output, change to high-output pickups or get a boost/overdrive/EQ pedal. However, most modern guitarist don't use the guitar's output anyway since most now use multi-channel amps or dedicated distortion pedals to control their clean and dirty tones. Basically, unless you're using a singe-channel amp, there's really no point in having high-output pickups, let alone pickups close to the strings.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by dopelope

I've done this on occasion, too. It's fun, and confuses people.

Thanks for your help guys. I thought there would be some effect tone-wise.