I quit these 3 bands I was in not to long ago so I could form a new 1. in this new band im writing a concept album (but i guess its more of a concept set-list cuz we can't get it recorded), I'm writing pretty much everything on all the instruments and vocals.

I'm the lead singer and bass player, then we have 2 guitarists (dual lead, both also do back-up vocals, and 1 of them will do a some co-lead vocals), a drummer, a pianist/violinist/back-up vocalist, and a trombonist (who will probly ask for vocals too).
so this "concept setlist" has 8 songs, all are pretty damn long, and they combine progressive rock, ska-jazz, free jazz, post-hardcore punk, and there are some tiny less noticeable influences from funk, reggae, salsa, etc.

the problem is, i've come up with a lot of other songs (which i cant stop myself from writing for some reason) that would be VERY out of place for this band. they're basically alternative country or country rock, like ryan adams, with an obvious jazz influence. i would be fine with playing these songs with this band, except that i want them to be a lot simpler, with a lot less instruments, just drums, bass, vocals, and probably only 1 guitar, maybe 2, and then maybe once in a while a little piano, and another thing is that none of these songs fit the concept setlist, so with 8 extremely long songs that are all vitally important to eachother, there wouldnt be time for the other songs.

i dont want to let these songs go to waste, so what should i do? start a side-project? which might not work cuz i think i've already used up all of my town's willing musicians. or just force them on my band? which also might not work because most of my bandmembers are heavy metal lovers, i barely convinced them to play my kind of music, its gonna be hella tough to make them play country-rock...

sry abt the huge post, i just thought i should get all the info out there so there's less explaining later
give them to me and let me get famous off of your work while giving you no credit
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
Quote by TMVATDI
u guys arent really as funny as u think u r

you ask for advice and then slate people who give it. way to go, bro.

didnt see a td;dr option either.

just keep them as B sides.
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
yea sorry it was that long, but something i said in it was that its more of a setlist than an album because we dont have a way to record it. there just wouldnt be enough time in the average show to play the 8 songs and then the extra songs i wrote, and my band members wouldnt be willing to play this kind of thing anyway.
save them for your next project. but don't force your band to play music they aren't with.

a side project seems a little unnecessary, considering you already have a band and come off as difficult to work with... but i mean, you seem like your unhappy with your current mates so if you have the opportunity to work with other musicians, go for it..
Quote by pepsi1187
save them for your next project. but don't force your band to play music they aren't with.

a side project seems a little unnecessary, considering you already have a band and come off as difficult to work with... but i mean, you seem like your unhappy with your current mates so if you have the opportunity to work with other musicians, go for it..

im actually pretty happy with them, they're all great musicians, determined to actually meet every week and start paying some shows, and most of them are good friends of mine.

they arent too opposed to playing the "concept setlist" i wrote, they actually like it for the most part, its just not what they prefer. the lead guitarist would rather play metalcore, the drummer wants to play nu metal, and the rhythm guitarist wants to play softer alternative rock, but none of them care too much that they have to settle for what i wrote. its just that i know they'd be very unhappy playing the country-rock songs i wrote haha, those r the extra 1s i'm unsure of what to do with
Sounds like the general direction of the band is toward rock/metal.

keep them. Who knows, maybe after letting them sit for a while you can re-write them as jazz-punk songs, or whatever genre you guys play.
Just keep 'em. Sooner or later you'll find a time to use them. It's not like they're gonna get un-written if you don't use them now.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
@the hunger, i think the genre can be described best as art punk. its like post-hardcore mixed with progressive rock and then a bunch of diverse little influences from like everything that sounds good to me (funk, ska-jazz, free jazz, reggae, classical [a lot of classical], psychedelic rock, etc.). and not like scene post-hardcore, like at the drive-in type post-hardcore. i actually dont incorporate any metal influence into my song-writing at all, unless you count power chords as a metal trademark (which i barely use anyway).

@the hunger & edgedinblue (you both suggested the same thing), i guess thats what ill do, im just a very impatient person so i was looking for a more imediate solution
Quote by TMVATDI
so what should i do? start a side-project?

If you really want to use these songs then this is exactly what you should do, ask any musician who has formed a side project why they've done it and they'll say something like, "I've written songs that didn't suit my main band."

There's nothing wrong with having more than one project on the go anyway, and if you've only looked for members for your metal band then you haven't used up all of the willing musicians, you've used up all the ones who want to play metal, there may be plenty of people out there who would love to play country/jazz, for me personally it would make a refreshing change from constantly being asked to join metal bands all the time
Try and find people who would play this style, you might be surprised.

Normally I would suggest not trying to force them onto your band but given that you're the main songwriter for the band you have a lot more choice in this matter than if you were writing together, I'm not saying it gives you the right to force them on them, but you could try showing them to the band as well, you may not be giving them enough credit and they may enjoy them
Quote by SilentHeaven109
If you really want to use these songs then this is exactly what you should do, ask any musician who has formed a side project why they've done it and they'll say something like, "I've written songs that didn't suit my main band."

There's nothing wrong with having more than one project on the go anyway, and if you've only looked for members for your metal band then you haven't used up all of the willing musicians, you've used up all the ones who want to play metal, there may be plenty of people out there who would love to play country/jazz, for me personally it would make a refreshing change from constantly being asked to join metal bands all the time
Try and find people who would play this style, you might be surprised.

Normally I would suggest not trying to force them onto your band but given that you're the main songwriter for the band you have a lot more choice in this matter than if you were writing together, I'm not saying it gives you the right to force them on them, but you could try showing them to the band as well, you may not be giving them enough credit and they may enjoy them

why is every1 calling it a metal band? when did i say that!? ARGH! lol

and i meant all the musicians in my town willing to play with me regardless of genre, i was in 3 bands and i quit them all to form this new 1, i dont think i can get any of those old members back, and besides, i quit those bands because those musicians are annoying, they tend to not show up to jam sessions and they'd always rather do something other than music, and yeah music is only a hobby and band-mates should be friends too but when u meet to play music you should play music, and after having a band for a year you should play a show!!! and that was my pissy rant haha.

yeah the only people in the area who are into country or jazz at all are people who i can't work with for various different reasons.

and even if my main band would play these songs (which im sure they wouldnt) i'd have to tell like at least 2 members "you're not playing for these songs" and they tend to get pissed when i say something like that, and they really dont fit with what we'll be playing, there are a lot of reasons i cant play these songs in my main band.
Quote by TMVATDI
why is every1 calling it a metal band? when did i say that!? ARGH! lol

and i meant all the musicians in my town willing to play with me regardless of genre, i was in 3 bands and i quit them all to form this new 1, i dont think i can get any of those old members back, and besides, i quit those bands because those musicians are annoying, they tend to not show up to jam sessions and they'd always rather do something other than music, and yeah music is only a hobby and band-mates should be friends too but when u meet to play music you should play music, and after having a band for a year you should play a show!!! and that was my pissy rant haha.

yeah the only people in the area who are into country or jazz at all are people who i can't work with for various different reasons.

and even if my main band would play these songs (which im sure they wouldnt) i'd have to tell like at least 2 members "you're not playing for these songs" and they tend to get pissed when i say something like that, and they really dont fit with what we'll be playing, there are a lot of reasons i cant play these songs in my main band.

I don't know why I thought it was metal, to be honest, I've just re-read it and there's no mention of metal

Well there's nothing you can do if you've burned all your bridges, but you don't want to play with unreliable, annoying musicians anyway

And the way you solve the problem of members having nothing to do is either to write parts for them or have them write parts for your songs themselves, and if you really wanted to play them with this band you could always adapt the style to be more suitable, this shouldn't be too difficult, of course presuming you are a good songwriter/musician, which you must be to write an 8 part prog-ska-jazz-punk epic on your own

If not, you'll either have to not use the songs until you can find a suitable band to play them with or record them on your own, as a sort of "solo project" if you like.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
I don't know why I thought it was metal, to be honest, I've just re-read it and there's no mention of metal

Well there's nothing you can do if you've burned all your bridges, but you don't want to play with unreliable, annoying musicians anyway

And the way you solve the problem of members having nothing to do is either to write parts for them or have them write parts for your songs themselves, and if you really wanted to play them with this band you could always adapt the style to be more suitable, this shouldn't be too difficult, of course presuming you are a good songwriter/musician, which you must be to write an 8 part prog-ska-jazz-punk epic on your own

If not, you'll either have to not use the songs until you can find a suitable band to play them with or record them on your own, as a sort of "solo project" if you like.

yea haha why are people mentioning metal? how does progressive ska-jazz-punk sound like metal?

anyway, there could be parts for their instruments but its just that im not feelin it with that many instruments u know? i want it to be more simple, more stripped down to the essential instruments, almost acoustic (ALMOST). very ryan adams influenced. and the 8-part epic isnt done yet so i guess we'll have to wait and see if im a good songwriter/musician

so i guess im just gonna hold onto them until i either have reliable people who want to play them with me, or a way of recording them. thats always the biggest problem for me, finding a way to record, and 1 of the old bands i quit had a guitarist who'se uncle owned a professional studio lol i miss how we used to say like "we're gonna make a kick-ass album" even tho we never did, we had 3 songs (which were horrible), and we never even went to the studio haha
Quote by TMVATDI
yea haha why are people mentioning metal? how does progressive ska-jazz-punk sound like metal?

anyway, there could be parts for their instruments but its just that im not feelin it with that many instruments u know? i want it to be more simple, more stripped down to the essential instruments, almost acoustic (ALMOST). very ryan adams influenced. and the 8-part epic isnt done yet so i guess we'll have to wait and see if im a good songwriter/musician

so i guess im just gonna hold onto them until i either have reliable people who want to play them with me, or a way of recording them. thats always the biggest problem for me, finding a way to record, and 1 of the old bands i quit had a guitarist who'se uncle owned a professional studio lol i miss how we used to say like "we're gonna make a kick-ass album" even tho we never did, we had 3 songs (which were horrible), and we never even went to the studio haha

OK, now it sounds like you definitely shouldn't play these songs with your main band, if you were willing to adapt them then it could be done then there's nothing wrong with wanting to keep them the way they are.

As far as recording goes, there are plenty of solutions for recording yourself these days, it doesn't have to be done in a studio. What I'm planning to do, as a poor student , is to just buy something like a Line 6 Toneport, I haven't used one yet so don't criticise me for this choice, it just looks appropriate for this situation, as it's fairly inexpensive and versatile way to record bass, guitar and vocals, for example.

Of course if you can play all of the instruments, you have a set of strong songs and you have enough faith in these songs then of course you could record them professionally.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
OK, now it sounds like you definitely shouldn't play these songs with your main band, if you were willing to adapt them then it could be done then there's nothing wrong with wanting to keep them the way they are.

As far as recording goes, there are plenty of solutions for recording yourself these days, it doesn't have to be done in a studio. What I'm planning to do, as a poor student , is to just buy something like a Line 6 Toneport, I haven't used one yet so don't criticise me for this choice, it just looks appropriate for this situation, as it's fairly inexpensive and versatile way to record bass, guitar and vocals, for example.

Of course if you can play all of the instruments, you have a set of strong songs and you have enough faith in these songs then of course you could record them professionally.

well im not really willing to adapt them, i have a reputation for being very strict abt how songs sound haha. i mean if i write a song its my art, its my baby, it has to work out the way i want it to ya know? i wouldnt paint something and then let someone else put a different color in it, its just messed up. so yea i guess i wont play them in my band lol

i wouldnt criticise you for that, im a high school student in a pretty poor family, and idk crap abt recording equipment or really abt any types of equipment (mics, amps, etc.). i dont even know different types of guitars (or, unrelated, different types of cars...), i just know what sounds good and what sounds bad to me. i guess i need to find something that could record various vocal techniques/types (i use a lot of different stuff, ill go from like a falsetto to a scream, and then there's like 3 or 4 back-up singers), drums, bass, guitar (distorted and acoustic), trombone, piano (and various keyboard effects), and violin, sounds like it would be hard to find something good for all that...

i can play all of the instruments except trombone and violin, but i attempt to give the trombonist and violinist a basic idea of what to play. and i let the lead guitarist improvise quite a bit (well its dual-lead, but 1 is more lead than the other haha).