The title says it all what does this thing do?
My gear (so far)

Ibanez Rg4exfm1 (soon to have DiMarzios installed)
Vox Night Train
Pedal Chain: (in order arranged)
Ibanez Wh-10v2
MXR Dyna Comp
EHX Little Big Muff
Boss DD-7
Quote by Jhachey22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6fatjizjyU&feature=related
skip ahead to about 1 minute. thats is the simplest explanition for it.

That explained nothing.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
dude wtf...bad video that sucked...
White/Cream Faded 1966 Stratocaster
100 Watt All-Tube JVM410H
1960 Lead Cab-B
-------------------------------------------------
it breaks teh crystal lettuce

jk that's what someone told me and I R4G3D!!!11!!111eleven!!

It's mostly useful for playing hi-gain metal. Apparently it ruins nice vintage sounding cleans.

From what I understand it's somewhere along the lines of a compressor or EQ, basically it just cleans and brightens your signal and adds more "presence". That's what the demos tell me.
Quote by Koshman32
That explained nothing.

Quote by CommBreakDown
dude wtf...bad video that sucked...

In case your to thick to understand his dumbed down version of how it works, it sorts out the signal's frequencies so that when it goes into your amplifer it amplifies the signal as efficiently as possible so that it comes out the other end clearer and more defined.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Ive used a bbe in my effects loop of my vox for over a year now.
Using it alone in the loop i think personally sounded horrible it made my tone very thin and tinny sounding but when used with an eq it made my vox sound like a completly different amp.
I dont think id rely on it to better my tone without an eq though.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
The easiest way to explain it is that it makes the sound out of your amp sound more like what you hear on an album that’s had some studio post-processing done. If you need more detail you’ll have to do a lot more reading.
If I remember right... and if this was actually about the sonic stomp... it sorts our the frequencies somehow since each one travels at a different speed and lines them up so when it comes out the speakers it sounds clearer.

Or something.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by Jhachey22
In case your to thick to understand his dumbed down version of how it works, it sorts out the signal's frequencies so that when it goes into your amplifer it amplifies the signal as efficiently as possible so that it comes out the other end clearer and more defined.

Quote by jpnyc
The easiest way to explain it is that it makes the sound out of your amp sound more like what you hear on an album that’s had some studio post-processing done. If you need more detail you’ll have to do a lot more reading.

This made a lot more sense. And I didn't have to sit through 5 minutes of circles, triangles and squares
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
From what I've gathered, it makes highs, mids an lows leave your speaker cone at the same time - or at their intended interval - so your ears get a more acurate representation of what went into your amp
I'm a plus one for them for any amp that doesn't have a type of presence/resonance control.
Phase correction.

Some people say it does the same as an EQ, they're mistaken. A Sonic Stomp and an EQ pedal are best friends.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
667 is pretty close to what BBE explains for the Sonic Maximizers (Stomp or rack units)

BASICALLY, it delays the low end frequencies something like 2.5 milliseconds. Delays the mids .5ms.
it also has what they call "low contour" (bass) and "Process" (Treb)

You can think of it like this. Any note or chord has harmonics that you hear with it. Imagine the low harmonics reaching your ear BEFORE the fundamental (root) sounds, and the high harmonics coming in a little later. Instead of the note and all it's harminics hitting you at the same time, they are stretched out, blurring what should be a clean and distinct sound. The BBE "corrects" this by delaying the harmonics that tend to leave the speakers too soon. (Look up "envelope distortion). It also does some stuff with monitoring levels of the mid frequency and high frequency harmonics, and adjusts it's final output.

The Lo Contour adjustment regulates the amount of compensated bass at 50Hz, and the Process does the same for high frequency equalization at 2.5kHz

Blah blah blah

What does it do for YOU? well, this is what it does for ME.

Set up correctly, it makes my amp sound clearer at all volumes, and "bigger" or fuller at lower volumes. This effect is magnified with distortion (distortion adds lots of harmonics).

Humans hear things differently at different volumes. As volumes increase, we hear more bass and treble...when things aren't as loud, we hear mids much better. Here's where the BBE's Lo contour and Process adjustments help. You can add some lows and highs that come out of the speakers are the right times to give you that awesome wall of sound, even at lower volumes. NOT just cranking up an EQ, these adjustments add ONLY phase compensated level.
This is MOST noticeable with distortion. with my levels set to make my distorted sounds MUCH "bigger" my cleans are hardly effected (NOT the case with an EQ in the loop).

This brings us to the "proper" usage of the Sonic maximizers. You will likely want to turn the adjustments DOWN as the volume increases! What sounds great at volume level 1.5 on my amp, is overpowering at 3 (which is STUPID loud btw). I usually set both adjustments at around 12:00-1:00 for playing at home, and turn them both down to 10:00-11:00 when playing louder...even down to 9:00 when we're playing LOUD. (note, the adjustments only ADD compensated signal. minimum setting is "flat" maxed out is +10dB)

Even though I'm not adding much compensated signal at high volumes, the process is still happening, I'm just not adding any extra signal. The phase correction STILL takes place, even wth the adjustments at minimum or "flat"

Bypassing the unit shows a huge difference. Ones ears acclimate to sound, so JUST hearing a clip with a maximizer on doesn't tell you the whole story...playing with it ON for a while, your ears acclimate to that sound...turn it OFF, and now your once mighty sounding amp seems weak and thin, in time it sounds better, then engage the BBE and hear how "BIG" it sounds. For me, it's like going from a 1x8, to a full 4x12x2 stack!

If you max the adjustments, you miss the point. You almost hear ONLY the compensated signal. this is like a solid state amp vs. a tube amp. you loose all the warmth and harmonics...for SOME stuff, it DOES sound cool...but NOT anything I would want as my tone for more than 1 song.

Use the adjustments in moderation! cranking them eventually becomes similar to scooping your mids (your overwhelmed by the added high on low signal, and can't hear the fundamental signal as well).

Used correctly, it can make your tone sound Big and rich and full. Used incorrectly, you will sound like a joke. Many people prefer to use the BBE AND a proper EQ in the loop. I see ZERO reason to put this in FRONT of an amp. try to keep it the LAST thing in your effects loop save for maybe your EQ.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
I got one based on recommendations from MFX sites (bossgtcentral, thestompbox.net) when I was using 100% amp modeling. It really helped the somewhat one dimensional artificial tone I was getting from my GT-8 into a Tech 21 PE60... still sounded artificial though.

When I replaced the PE60 with a Peavey Classic 30, and only used the GT for distortion and other FX, instead of amp modeling, I found that the Sonic Stomp wasn't really providing a "better" tone anymore. It definitely added a *little* more clarity, or brightness, or something... but it became a PITA to really get the settings just right depending on my amp volume and EQ.

... so now it's sitting on a shelf. I may go back and play with it some more at some point, but it's just one more gadget on the pedalboard that I have to worry about, and I actually like my tone now and don't feel the need to tweak... that's not to say I don't want to upgrade at some point though to a half-stack with 100W tube head
Does anyone have any opinion of the rack mount version vs the pedal version? The guy I bought my JSX from highly recommended the rack version and my GC has a couple used ones.
Pretty sure the Sonic Stomp and the most basical rack mount one are identical. If you've got a rack case you should get the rackmounted one because this is not some effect that you turn on and off all the time, people tend to just leave it on.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Yeah the controls seem to be the same... Just wanted to check if anyone knew. I already have a Line 6 M13, Wah, Tuner (use it mostly to switch my signal off and as power supply since I've gotten the M13), and a couple amp footswitches on my board. I don't have a rack yet but I'm planning on getting started soon. Just the basic stuff like EQ, Comp, Noisegate, etc.
Quote by ChrisBW
Does anyone have any opinion of the rack mount version vs the pedal version? The guy I bought my JSX from highly recommended the rack version and my GC has a couple used ones.

I tried the pedal just to see if I wanted a maximizer at all. I ordered the rack mount after playing with the stomp box. Both seemto be basically identical.

NOTE: MOST players would be well suited with the 362 version...the higher end units are more for stereo applications (PAs etc) where you might want more maximizing on one channel vs the other. The 362 is still stereo, but just has 1/4" jacks, and both channels share the adjustments.

The 362 rack version costs about the same as the stomp box (like $100?)
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Jul 24, 2010,
I have one, and for a while I was a staunch advocate of the worthlessness of this thing. However, I was gigging on bass and keyboard most of the time, so I didn't do much but mess around on guitar. I tried to sell it for about 2 years, and even talked briefly with forsaknazrael about trading it to him, though that didn't happen.

Then, about a month ago, I started playing guitar live again, and this thing is on all the time. It really adds some nice presence and clarity when I'm running my tubescreamer, and it appears it'll be a mainstay on my pedalboard for at least a little while longer.
I understand now sounds like it's good i'll have to check it out. Is this more suited for hi-gain stuff or can it be used for overdrives and moderate distortion.
My gear (so far)

Ibanez Rg4exfm1 (soon to have DiMarzios installed)
Vox Night Train
Pedal Chain: (in order arranged)
Ibanez Wh-10v2
MXR Dyna Comp
EHX Little Big Muff
Boss DD-7
Works with everything. The lo Contour and process adjustments are MORE noticeable with more gain, but it works with everything (They work great in PAs also)
it makes a smiley face
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.