Hey guys, i was was wondering if you could look at this video of me singing The Devil Wears Prada songs. I just want to see what i need to improve on. Constructive Criticism would be nice read the video description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ladslKusDU

thanks.
Gear
Ibanez GIO Electric Guitar
Ibanez V50 Acoustic Guitar
Peavey Vypyr 75watt
RP55 Guitar Modulation (thinking of selling)

Fairmount Avenue
You sound like you're straining to hit the notes to me.

I'd wait for some more experienced people to help you, just giving my 2 cents.
Quote by Mattofla
You sound like you're straining to hit the notes to me.

Oh definately. I can see that you don't look very relaxed, pretty tense in the upper body with arms pretty stiff hanging out at angles. This would affect your breath control (tightness = lack of control) and also you have a habit of tilting your head upwards towards the ceiling to hit the higher notes. Of course this won't help, as tilting your head upwards would make the space in your throat smaller, and therefore can't pass through as much air.

You're generally forcing a lot of the notes, they are strained and "wavy", you may want to work on some scales and vocal warm ups, and some easier songs before attacking those which utilise a lot of the upper notes in your range.

That said, congrats on uploading a vid of yourself for all to criticise - not many people have the balls to do it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Oh definately. I can see that you don't look very relaxed, pretty tense in the upper body with arms pretty stiff hanging out at angles. This would affect your breath control (tightness = lack of control) and also you have a habit of tilting your head upwards towards the ceiling to hit the higher notes. Of course this won't help, as tilting your head upwards would make the space in your throat smaller, and therefore can't pass through as much air.

You're generally forcing a lot of the notes, they are strained and "wavy", you may want to work on some scales and vocal warm ups, and some easier songs before attacking those which utilize a lot of the upper notes in your range.

That said, congrats on uploading a vid of yourself for all to criticize - not many people have the balls to do it.

Thanks so much for your reply!!! this meant alot to me, i will take your advice and work on the elements you suggested.

i have a few questions though:

for my head being tilted, if i kept it at a normal angle, would that improve my voice? what would it do if i didnt make it as tilted?

i'm a baritone and yeah im staining the notes inorder to hit his range, but it doesnt hurt my throat at all. I look at it as im putting more "oomph" into my voice instead of keeping it at a voice which is kinda like talking/singing. do you understand what i mean?

Also, what vocal warm-ups and scales would i need to work on inorder to stop the "wavy" effect that's in my voice? im sorry im asking so many questions but i want to improve and i will be DEDICATED to do whatever it takes. Thanks for your reply, but i hope you can reply again.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue
Quote by Reversal

for my head being tilted, if i kept it at a normal angle, would that improve my voice? what would it do if i didnt make it as tilted?

It would open your throat. Think about the angles being created with your head and neck. Look at the ceiling and take a deep breath. Now put your head at a normal angle and try to breath in. Which is easier?

Quote by Reversal

i'm a baritone and yeah im staining the notes inorder to hit his range, but it doesnt hurt my throat at all. I look at it as im putting more "oomph" into my voice instead of keeping it at a voice which is kinda like talking/singing. do you understand what i mean?

You should identify your range first, and determine where these notes are within it. I was just guessing that they're in the upper range, because it sounds like you're having more trouble hitting them than you would if it was closer to your "speaking" range.

Just because your throat doesn't hurt doesn't mean that you're not straining. It's quite clear you are. However, I would say that those notes ARE within your range - it's just that they're at the end of it, which is a hard place for many singers to learn to control (including myself). It can be very tempting to force or put more "oomph" into these notes to hit them, but this ends up with the sound you have, forced and strained, uncontrolled and out of tune. Would you force your lower notes? No - because you're more comfortable with them - you should make an aim of becoming equally as comfortable with your higher notes and they should eventually come as effortlessly.

Quote by Reversal

Also, what vocal warm-ups and scales would i need to work on inorder to stop the "wavy" effect that's in my voice? im sorry im asking so many questions but i want to improve and i will be DEDICATED to do whatever it takes. Thanks for your reply, but i hope you can reply again.

There's a scales sticky at the top of this forum, and many other resources on the internet that can provide you with different exercises. Even doing scales for 10 minutes a day can make a world of difference, and you should do them before practicing singing songs too.

The "wavy" sound is caused by inconsistent breath pressure, and also running out of air. Try just holding one note at a lower range and see if you can keep it there. Then try moving it higher and repeating. And again. That would be one exercise to help, or at least gauge yourself.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You should identify your range first, and determine where these notes are within it. I was just guessing that they're in the upper range, because it sounds like you're having more trouble hitting them than you would if it was closer to your "speaking" range.

Just because your throat doesn't hurt doesn't mean that you're not straining. It's quite clear you are. However, I would say that those notes ARE within your range - it's just that they're at the end of it, which is a hard place for many singers to learn to control (including myself). It can be very tempting to force or put more "oomph" into these notes to hit them, but this ends up with the sound you have, forced and strained, uncontrolled and out of tune. Would you force your lower notes? No - because you're more comfortable with them - you should make an aim of becoming equally as comfortable with your higher notes and they should eventually come as effortlessly.

There's a scales sticky at the top of this forum, and many other resources on the internet that can provide you with different exercises. Even doing scales for 10 minutes a day can make a world of difference, and you should do them before practicing singing songs too.

The "wavy" sound is caused by inconsistent breath pressure, and also running out of air. Try just holding one note at a lower range and see if you can keep it there. Then try moving it higher and repeating. And again. That would be one exercise to help, or at least gauge yourself.

I heard everybody has a lower range, a middle range, and an upper range. You're right, those notes are in my upper range, i've only just started singing in my upper range. Before i was stuck singing in my mid voice and lower voice because i couldn't "break" into my upper region. But now that i have i have begun singing more in my upper range.

you should make an aim of becoming equally as comfortable with your higher notes and they should eventually come as effortlessly.

i understand that and i totally agree with you that i should do this, but my question is how? i'm an amateur singer and have only started 2 months ago. would i need to do scales and such?

and thanks on the tip on how to fix my waviness. i really appreciate it man, it really means alot. thank you and hope you can find the time to reply again.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 75watt

Fairmount Avenue