Hey guys,

So, I got my Tweaker today and absolutely love the thing clean and mid-gain, but for the more 80s rock/modern stuff I find it a bit dull and muddy -- however, I believe its my setup/use of it and I need some help.

I bought this to replace my HT-5 as the cleans were very lacking. I am playing LOW volume here and I think that may be why its so muddy, but my HT-5 never sounded this bad at this low a volume. I have tried it through my 2x12 and 1x10s and still no success. Its so boomy, and I don't remember it being like then when I played it at the store (and it wasn't much louder than it is now through their 1x12). Again its only muddy on the higher gain stuff.

My questions is, is it a bad tube? or maybe my ears just never caught on in the store? I am planning on getting an attenuator/headphone tap anyway, would that help? I realize it would be pushing the amp harder, and I would hope I would lose some of the boomyness. I do realize some of this may be occurring due to lack of air movement on the speaker, but I am not really sure.

I am playing a Strat with a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge, and thats where it is unusually muddy. My strings are OLD and dull, that could be it so I will change those in the am (too late to play). It doesn't seem to be my signal path, and I can't really EQ it out either.

So UG, I ask you to help! And thanks!! NAD soon to follow I am sure!
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Last edited by sixstringedmatt at Jul 22, 2010,
have you tried adjusting the Bright swtich in conjunction with the treble and the tight switch? try keeping yourr highs at noon, and flipping the bright and tight on.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I have indeed done that, even took out all the lows on the amp itself, while also messing with a graphic EQ I have in the loop.
Best gain I can get without using overdrive:

Tight
Bright
Modern
AC
Hot

Gain: Full
Volume: About half (depending whether you piss people off or not)
Bass: 100%
Mids: 25%
Treble: 75%
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Jul 23, 2010,
I really feel it's the whole low volume thing. I'm talking about 9 clock on the volume. Would an attenuator help at all?
hmm interesting.
opening it up will lose mud to a point. then as soon as power amp distortion kicks in you'll actually get more mud. you have a clip of the mud you are talking about? I didn't think the amp was that muddy at all when I played it the few times.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
would adding a distortion pedal like a ibby ts would tighten distortion? i wanna get rid of my muddyness too
Quote by Ranelbau
would adding a distortion pedal like a ibby ts would tighten distortion? i wanna get rid of my muddyness too

I use a TS9 on my Rebel 20. It works well for tightening things up if you have it set right, but the biggest help for you would probably be flicking up the tight switch.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
it sounds to me like there is some sort of speaker issue or something else going on
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
i'd still like to hear a clip. keep in mind that the tweaker really isn't voiced to do any sort of heavy modern metal.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
its not voiced for that, but its still not very muddy. TS, what type of tone are you trying to get out of it?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Sorry about that guys, passed out hard last night.

I am trying to get anything from a Van Halen(ish)/RATT tone to a Weezer tone. Not heavy metal. I have used a Bad Monkey as a boost, but its like theres too much low end. Some of the notes aren't as defined as they used to be when played through my Blackstar. Its about 6:40am so I can't try to record something now, but any suggestions on how to? I don't have proper equipment, just a Droid eris and a cheap Casio camera.

Again, through my 2x12 and my 1x10s it sounds a bit muddy. Maybe boomy is a better word? Just very undefined on the low end. I will try to open her up later during the day.
i use a closed back cab with a greenie in it. i keep the bass around 2:00, mids at 11:00, treb at 2:00. gain at 2 or 3:00, not dimed. i think the US setting sounds the clearest, then the brit, then the AC.

i suspect diming the gain may be your issue. at 2 or 3:00 it's gainy as heck, but still clear.

i put an EH 12ax7 in V1, and a JJ 12ax7 in V3 (pi). i think the stock 6v6 or el34s would be best for what you are going after.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
EDIT: Its definitely a volume thing. Opened her up a bit more and changed some settings and its great. I have to admit the UK Setting is still a bit muddy for gain, I enjoy cdr_salamanders AC settings, thanks man!

Now I am living the high life with this thing, damn haha.
Last edited by sixstringedmatt at Jul 23, 2010,