I'm in a mostly cover band that plays mainly classic rock but branches into solo guitarist/shred territory. I LOVE the vox VT50 from what i've played through it, but i cant play the carvin because the only stores are in california. The carvin would be a SX300 and the vox would be a VT50. I hope someone who knows something about carvin amps can shed some light on this subject. Thanks for any help.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
I used to have the SX300 head. The cleans on it were great, the lighter od channel was pretty nice too. The higher gain od channel didn't have the gain I wanted, and also tended to be really noisy, so I ended up using pedals for higher gain stuff anyway. It took pedals really well, and was super loud. I liked the clean channel way more than other solid state cleans I've used though, even more than an old JC120 a friend of mine had. I think for classic rock the carvin definitely had enough gain, and depending on what kind of tone you're going for for shred it possibly has that covered too.
An acquaintance of mine has an SX300 (along with an X100B RI, an XT112, a Legacy 2 and a pair of X60's) and he likes it so much that he's in the process of selling off all his tube stuff.

Anyways, it's hard to beat the price of the Carvin.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
AAGH! my overpowering gut feeling is saying vox just because whenever i go to get something from a music store and end up playing i'm magnetically attracted to the vox
(PM Me.)
a bit off topic but I can't believe how good Carvins amp selection is, and for such wonderful prices.

I might have to sell my own Vox VT50 and buy a Carvin VT50 one day

Anyways, the Vox is really versatile because it's a modeller. This has it's ups and downs. I got bored of the modelling after a few years, I wanted to develop my own tone and the Vox was really just a collection of other peoples tones.

Although I've never played one, the Carvin likely has more of it's own "character". Another plus to the Carvin is it might be easier to fix if it broke compared to a Vox VT50.
Carvins customer support is second to none. Plus their stuff is bullet proof, maybe I'm just a big fan.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
well i already know about carvin's customer service and bulletproofness because i own 2 basses from 1983 and nothing has been re soldered but i love the tone on the vt50
(PM Me.)
then go for it

The Peavey Vypyr is also similar, if you get a chance play the VT50 and a Vypyr model side by side just to see if maybe you like one more than the other.
i've played the vyper and the vox is more to my liking
(PM Me.)
Well the Vox is a good amp so if you're hesitant as far as quality or anything goes, don't be. I've had my 2nd gen AD50VT for 4-5 years I think, and it works just as good as when I bought it (but then again I'm not very hard on it). And if you're up for it, it can sound twice as good with a new speaker or cab.
well I just ordered the VOX VT50 and i'm pretty happy!
(PM Me.)