Yes, no? I'm not quite sure.

Also if someone could give me the intervals to the Whole-half and the Half Whole diminished scale that would be cool.
I assume you mean the Octatonic scale

It is not a Mode, its a Symmetric scale

whole half and half whole are exactly what it says

Whole half is Whole Half Whole Half Whole Half Whole Half
half whole is half whole half whole half whole half whole
Last edited by litelbrown at Jul 23, 2010,
its just a scale, and making modes out of it would be a little weird and probably unnecessarry but i suppose its possible. technically a "diminished" scale is any scale with a b5, so the locrian mode is a diminished scale and a mode, but usually when we say diminished scale we mean the whole-half or half-whole diminished scale.
the intervals are actually pretty obvious. half-whole diminished is...half, whole, half, whole, etc...it just keeps going like that. whole-half is...well whole, half, i think u should get it by now.
Thanks. I didn't know it was called an Octatonic scale, but that's what I wanted to know.
Quote by litelbrown
I wasn't clear, its a type of octatonic scale. It is the most common one.

So what other Octatonic scales are there?
Quote by Blckspawn
So what other Octatonic scales are there?

The Blues Scale is one and so is any scale you come up with that contains 8 notes.

Remember, Octo = 8 (Both Diminished Scales) just like Hepta = 7 (Major and it's Modes) and Hexa = 6 (Whole Tone) as well as Penta = 5 (Pentatonics).
Quote by DiminishedFifth
The Blues Scale is one and so is any scale you come up with that contains 8 notes.

Remember, Octo = 8 (Both Diminished Scales) just like Hepta = 7 (Major and it's Modes) and Hexa = 6 (Whole Tone) as well as Penta = 5 (Pentatonics).

The Blues scale has 8 notes?
Quote by griffRG7321
There is an 8-note blues scale, although it's not the minor pentatonic blues. It's the minor pentatonic blues plus a 2 and another passing tone between the b7 and the 1.

I'd hardly call that octatonic though, since the two passing tones aren't really scale tones. I wouldn't really call it hexatonic though, since it's still pretty much just a derivation of the minor pentatonic.

I guess the definition of "octatonic" is just "eight note scale" so technically it fits that definition.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 23, 2010,
@ Griff... I was talking about the normal one... The other one I don't see used very often.

Quote by griffRG7321

This is why I shouldn't give advice at 3 AM
Whole-half and Half-whole are kind of modes of each other in a way, but that would never amount to more than music-theorio-philosophy-babble.

As far as usage goes... Half-Whole has a b2, and a 3, making it reek of Phrygian Dominant. If that's not what you want, go for Whole-Half.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Half-whole is definitely the more popular of the two. It gives you access to both thirds and the b7.
Well you could say the Half-Whole diminished is a mode (the only mode) of the Whole Half Diminished Scale. - Or you could say it the other way around that the Whole-Half Diminished Scale is the second mode of the Half-Whole Diminished Scale. Or you could just call them the Half Whole diminished scale and Whole Half diminished scale respectively.
But technically they are modes of each other.

W H W H W H W H

By shifting the root to the second scale degree you get

H W H W H W H W

When you shift the root to the third degree it is exactly the same step pattern as the original - you're back to where you started so there's only the two modes of this scale.

That concludes my music-therio-philosophy-babble
Si