Ok so me and my band we're doing pretty good we got our first gig lined up, we're learning songs playing music, and we're doing all around great. Yet we hadn't practiced in a while because of scheduling dificulties and on tuesday without our official drummer and someone we're thinking about replacing him with. Practice was good we got through some songs firmed up a setlist and now we've got the stuff down the next day however our official drummer came instead of his replacement, and he's joking around the whole practice making it hard for the girls to sing, he's not playing what he's supposed to and he was playing guitar, he can play guitar but he's a drummer, in the middle of one of our songs and it wasn't the right song, plus he keeps making our female vocalists laugh in the middle of songs and its pissing me and the other guitarist off. So I call him up and I'm like "Dude lets just fire this guy get it over with" and he responds saying "dude I don't want to make enemies for next year at school so lets just leave him in the group" I'm just pissed and I say, "okay let me do it it will be my idea and I'll just fire him and you'll still be his friend and won't have an enemy" and he just finally says "Ok I'll take care of it" then twenty minutes later he calls back says "dude! I fixed the problem, okay so you know nick? (he's a guy we fired back a while ago cuz we let him in the group to play keyboard then he can't even play it) " then I say yea and he says Well he's our new manager!" and I just am thinking "NO!!!" because all the girls and most of the people I know he creeps out because he stares at people without realizing it and if you try to block him he just moves his head "What would possess you to do that?" I ask he says "Well we need someone to keep us on track! We get off topic a lot and we have a gig in a month so yeah so I made him our manager to keep us on track get us gigs and all that crap, plus I think we got some bad mojo when we fired him, you dig?" I'm thinking No! No! No! This is retarted! I finally just suck it up and say fine, at least I don't have all those responsibilities anymore, but now I am kinda thinking of dumping the group because one all the songs I want to play they think are demonic, which I think is stupid, mainly like Stairway to Heaven and THere for Tomorrow Just a little faster. I'm just pissed off and I am thinking of possibily dumping them what do you guys think?
Big wall, however I managed to get through it. They sound annoying, I say bail.
The problem is that there is no band leader. Just a bunch of people playing around. Someone has to take charge - will it be you?

Here's your problems anyway;

1. No practice structure. Leader says "we're going to play x song". Everyone plays it. If parts need to be worked on, you redo the part until it's good, then usually play the song from the start again including the new part. The band leader dictates all this. When done band leader shouts out next song. Easy. If someone plays around, band leader asks them nicely to stop. If behaviour continues band leader puts it a bit more forcefully - "can you stop playing around and play the song? We don't need to make this practice longer than it already is" (or something like that).

2. I don't know what you're doing with a manager - it makes no sense. You don't even have a career to manage yet. Furthermore your band mate is suggesting that the manager be in charge of music stuff and all that. It can only end in tears.

Your solutions? Be a leader, get some structure, don't get a manager. And if the drummer still doesn't fit in with the structure, drop him for someone who can - but give your drummer ample warning now.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Triple-D
on tuesday without our official drummer and someone we're thinking about replacing him with.

he's joking around the whole practice making it hard for the girls to sing, he's not playing what he's supposed to and he was playing guitar, he can play guitar but he's a drummer, in the middle of one of our songs and it wasn't the right song, plus he keeps making our female vocalists laugh in the middle of songs and its pissing me and the other guitarist off.

"dude I don't want to make enemies for next year at school so lets just leave him in the group"

"Well we need someone to keep us on track!

I am thinking of possibily dumping them what do you guys think?

Quite a lot to get through here, which would be much easier had you used paragraphs

1st bolded bit: Don't bring in new members behind peoples backs, it's immature and bitchy and you should be man enough to at least tell him he's out before you bring in new members.

2nd bit: It sounds like you do need to get rid of him if this is how he is behaving.

3rd bit: This is why I swear by the idea of starting bands with strangers, that way if the band doesn't work you don't lose your friends or cause problems for yourself and your bandmates in your personal lives.

4th bit: This should be the job of one of the members of the band, the bandleader. You don't need a manager, you need to appoint a bandleader who will keep everyone focused during practices, managers usually handle the business side of things, if you asked a serious band manager, who wasn't just some guy you know, to babysit you during your rehearsals and stop you from goofing around, he would piss himself laughing as he left.

Last bit: This is the most sensible thing you posted, quite honestly.
Hmmm...... Here's what you can do before making any enemies whatsoever.... Talk to the drummer! Tell him how you feel, that he needs to change, and that you'll find a replacement if he doesn't
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Paragraphs man, paragraphs. They are your friend.

I agree with Alan (I seem to do this a lot) You don't need a manager, not at this stage in your bands life. What you need is a band leader. A while back I made a post worried that I was being a dictator and worried that I was being too bossy. Then I realised that I wasn't I was just infact becoming the bands leader (although I still don't like to be refered to as this). I know organsie our rehearsal times, what songs we are going to work on (we are an originals band), which bits in those songs need working on and developing and so forth. Since I have accepted my role in the band thigns have improved exponentially with each practice date being better than the last.
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
A few things...

1. Paragraphs are your friend.

2. Led Zeppelin and There For Tomorrow? Random combination of songs, whatever floats your boat though.

3. I can tell that your band is young, immature, and inexperienced. There's nothing wrong with that, but you very much don't need a manager, and if you did you should be looking into getting an actual manager who's experienced and knows what they're doing. Babysitting a band during a rehearsal is not the job of a manager, that should be the job of the band leader.

4. There's appropriate and inappropriate times to be goofing around. My suggestion is that if one your band mates can't take a rehearsal seriously, he shouldn't be in the band. As far as kicking him out and dealing with consequences of their resentment? I think we've all dealt with this, and the only thing you can do is live and let live. Make sure you're professional when you fire somebody, and that you leave no genuine reason for someone to be upset with you either than sheer disappointment. This is the problem with working with friends, without knowing their work ethic.

My two cents.
thanks guys I think I know what needs to be done, I need to be a leader.

I called everyone up talked to them and I told the drummer he needs to stop being disruptive during practice and calmly explained whats wrong and what he needs to do.

I called the guy who hired this dude as our manager, and then I told him he's not our manager we don't need a manager at this stage of our career he agreed and said we're going to at least need somebody to work the boards while we're playing and we managed to come to a compromise that he's going to work the board to the PA system we use

THen I called our new ex-manager, and told him the deal he was disapointed but hey you got to do what you got to do and we finally got everything in line

Now the gig I posted about a while back is finally set up we're gonna play for an hour with a ten minute break and thats all I have a problem with now, how long should the setlist be?
Quote by Triple-D
thanks guys I think I know what needs to be done, I need to be a leader.

I called everyone up talked to them and I told the drummer he needs to stop being disruptive during practice and calmly explained whats wrong and what he needs to do.

I called the guy who hired this dude as our manager, and then I told him he's not our manager we don't need a manager at this stage of our career he agreed and said we're going to at least need somebody to work the boards while we're playing and we managed to come to a compromise that he's going to work the board to the PA system we use

THen I called our new ex-manager, and told him the deal he was disapointed but hey you got to do what you got to do and we finally got everything in line

Now the gig I posted about a while back is finally set up we're gonna play for an hour with a ten minute break and thats all I have a problem with now, how long should the setlist be?

This all sounds sorted now, although you may not even need someone to "work the boards," a lot of venues, from what I've seen at least, have someone who will do that for you, but knowing someone who can do all that can't hurt.

About your setlist, assuming each song is 4-5 minutes, and some of that time will be spend talking to the crowd/messing around with equipment, I would say 10-12 songs is about right.
you should form a contract between your members too. that way the organization level can be a little higher. and so every time you practice later on you'll be able to work better as a band.