UG,

Don't wanna read? Answer questions at end of story!

I must be crazy, but heres the story. I change strings every 3-6 weeks and was overdue for one, so I went to my local store. I usually get GHS .010 Boomers, but apparently they can no longer order GHS products, so I bought a pack of D'Addario. Well, after stringing the guitar (In the same fasion I did when I had GHS), got it all in tune... it sounds WAY different. I don't know what it is.. but the low E is the most noticable. It sounds less "low" and more bright...

I don't know if it sounds better or worse... but do strings really make a big difference in tone?

Thanks,

Mr. Crazy?
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Yeah they do.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
yeah different strings sound different
theu make a big difference since thats the moving part that makes the sound
Damn, it's pretty noticeable then.
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Every company has a slightly different way of making their strings...from the different mixes for their alloys to the windings. Are the strings you bought mostly nickel, nickel wrapped stainless steel, or strictly stainless steel? You can usually check their respective sites to get an idea of what their strings are comprised of...even though they may be really general in the description.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
Some string manufacturers have scales from "warm" to "bright" for their string tones. Or "bright" to "mellow" in this case. So you can use that as a reference to try and find the right ones for your desired tone!
Quote by Rokeman
Some string manufacturers have scales from "warm" to "bright" for their string tones. Or "bright" to "mellow" in this case. So you can use that as a reference to try and find the right ones for your desired tone!

Yeah, I bought the EXL110. I just never thought strings would be so significant... need to try other kinds now! :O I just bought GHS because it's a pack I was given for free when I bought my PRS and I liked them, haha.
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Lots of things can change string tone. String material (nickel, nickel-plated steel, copper, steel, titanium...), coated vs non-coated, string gauge, and generally different manufacturing processes can have different effects on the string's tone.

I remember when I switched from Fenders to Super-Slinkys I got quite a bit more treble. Got used to it, though.
Yeah, I just got a new guitar and had to call the guy to find out what strings they were because I liked the tone and feel of them so much. Turns out they're Not Even Slinky's. I play almost exclusively in standard by the way, to hell with that whole "designed for drop tunings" shit.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

If it was overdue for a string change, then maybe you just don't recall how bright a fresh set of strings sounds, just a thought.
Quote by Harmonicer
If it was overdue for a string change, then maybe you just don't recall how bright a fresh set of strings sounds, just a thought.

This?

I can't tell a difference in string type... They all sound the same unless they're something like flatwounds. I buy my strings from the toys section at Wal-Mart, and I can't tell a difference between them and a bunch of other brands.
to my super sensitive ears (heh that sounds funny) they make a big, BIG difference not plugged in but make minimal difference amped.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
I almost always notice a slight change. I'll bet that most of it is in my head, but its all part of finding that sonic wave that you like the most. maybe its just me, but I never fell in love with D'addarios. I bounced around Ernie Ball and GHS for years, and finally settled on the Ernie ball Super Slinkys.

I'll agree that tonal changes will, and do happen with re-strings. But I'll also agree with EVHbrianmay and say that I rarely notice a HUGE difference in my amp. When I went to Heavy Bottoms for a while I noticed a huge grit and thump that I didnt have with Slinkys, but I lost a ton of feel and flexibility in my low E.

Its a give and take.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204