i've heard a few songs that are like a half hour long from mars volta and rush, other than that, they usually arent that long. the average prog song that i've heard is probably like 15 minutes, which is long compared to like pop and stuff, but i think its really exagerated because when people talk about long progressive songs they sound like it would be like an hour or 2 long or something crazy like that.

am i just not listening to enough original progressive rock? i listen to all the big names, king crimson, pink floyd, etc., but have i just been missing all the really long songs?
Not really. Some artists here and there have tunes that break 30 minutes, but I haven't come across many that do. And to be honest, I am glad. It takes some insane compositional abilities to keep it interesting for that long, and not many have such abilities.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
^^^ I would agree. I may have heard one or two, but the average is right about where you put it, no matter what band you're listening to.
btbam swim to the moon check i out its like 28 min it was sweet live but album its only like 17 min but they write more of albums than individual songs u half to listen to there cds straight through or u miss the whole concept so id say they write hour long songs
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Last edited by selkies at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by guitarsftw
Not really. Some artists here and there have tunes that break 30 minutes, but I haven't come across many that do. And to be honest, I am glad. It takes some insane compositional abilities to keep it interesting for that long, and not many have such abilities.

i really like the longest songs i've heard, cassandra gemini by the mars volta (32:38) is my favorite song (even tho its broken into a few different tracks, its really 1 song).
im actually pretty interested in finding some bands that make longer songs all the time, just haven't seen any of them
It's not that the really long songs have gone away, they just divide the song into different sections. Listen to the entire album.
Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them they die.
Quote by defenderobanana
It's not that the really long songs have gone away, they just divide the song into different sections. Listen to the entire album.

i always listen to full albums (mostly because they're often concept albums), and i've found a few cases where 1 song will seem to lead into the next, but it usually doesn't sound like a cohesive song that exceeds 20 or so minutes.
Quote by selkies
btbam swim to the moon check i out its like 28 min it was sweet live but album its only like 17 min but they write more of albums than individual songs u half to listen to there cds straight through or u miss the whole concept so id say they write hour long songs

Um...wha?
Quote by LucasGtrGod
Um...wha?

between the buried and me writes albums that are basically one song with different movements listen to their whole albums such as colors and the great misdirect and you will see what i mean
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by LucasGtrGod
Um...wha?

the song was like 28 minutes live, 17 minutes recorded, thats what he meant. i cant stand metalcore tho, i dont think im gonna listen to it, i dont even like progressive metal all that much.
r they prog metal, or just prog? cuz im getting way tired of all the metal every1 suggests i listen to...
i've never understood what that really means :/ i guess ill look it up tho

edit: they're good (and i think i get what avant-garde means now), but that song wasnt very long at all, it was like 5 minutes
Last edited by TMVATDI at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by Zed45
Delirium Cordia by Fantomas. They're way better than BtBam, too.

I was totally gunna suggest this

As well as Coheed and Cambria's 'Willing Well' series which is 4 songs clocking at about half hour.

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

Quote by EEE_ELLL_OHH

your username
Well, if you want to go really, really long you could look up some Bull of Heaven, some of their songs are about a month long.
Quote by T.s.e
Well, if you want to go really, really long you could look up some Bull of Heaven, some of their songs are about a month long.

Can you give a link? I want to hear it. And I've loked everywhere to no avail.
Gear:
ZT Lunchbox Amp
Schecter C-1+ Diamond Series
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Digitech Whammy
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
EHX Pocket Metal Muff
EHX Small Stone
EHX Memory Toy
EHX Holy Grail
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Quote by EEE_ELLL_OHH

As well as Coheed and Cambria's 'Willing Well' series which is 4 songs clocking at about half hour.

Especially if you're looking at the Live Neverender shows, where part IV clocks in at 21 minutes by itself...making the whole thing around 40 minutes

Formspring

Quote by guitarxo

<--- this is a symbol of being awesome
Quote by RHunterGN
Can you give a link? I want to hear it. And I've loked everywhere to no avail.

Here. See if you can find the song that's 4723 hours long, that would take some time. Not sure if I'd call it progressive though, seems more dronish.
Last edited by T.s.e at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by T.s.e
Here. See if you can find the song that's 4723 hours long, that would take some time. Not sure if I'd call it progressive though, seems more dronish.

im listening to that right now, sounds sooo weird...
this isnt really that long is it? they're ****in with us right? cuz i heard the longest song recorded is i think 4 and a half hours, so this is a record breaker...
edit: oh well that was a waste of time, i skipped around to see if it ever changes to like...good music...it doesnt.
Last edited by TMVATDI at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by TMVATDI
im listening to that right now, sounds sooo weird...
this isnt really that long is it? they're ****in with us right? cuz i heard the longest song recorded is i think 4 and a half hours, so this is a record breaker...
edit: oh well that was a waste of time, i skipped around to see if it ever changes to like...good music...it doesnt.

I can imagine. The only thing that really caught my attention was the length, the songs weren't any special. Seems like a gimmick.
The longest (studio) prog songs in my collection:

Echolyn - Mei (49:33)
Ephemeral Sun - Harvest Aorta (41:56)
Edge of Sanity - Crimson (40:01)
The Flower Kings - The Truth Will Set You Free (31:02)
Transatlantic - All of the Above (30:59)

The following works are split across several tracks, but are meant to be seen as one big suite:
Transatlantic - The Whirlwind (77:49)
The Flower Kings - Garden of Dreams (59:18)
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray (53:41)
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II (42:43)
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (41:59)

Long enough for ya?
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Like instrumental prog? Check out www.relocator-project.com!
Debut album featuring Derek Sherinian available now!
If I may weigh in on the apparent news that you thought of one or two hour songs, those exist from many prog bands. Concept albums, as a whole, are generally really one song, one whole idea wrapped up into an album. It is just that the musical structure everyone these days craves (both from recording companies and consumers) is individual tracks. Rarely will you see a prog band put out an album that is only one, epic, 70 minute song.

Aside from that, and highlighting the general points of what I am trying to say: Just listen to some concept albums, and don't think to yourself "now what was the name of that song?" or " I really like this track." Just let it do what it is intended to do (in most cases) from the artists prospective, and listen to it as a whole, not discriminating one "song" from another.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Quote by Kyo6JM
The longest (studio) prog songs in my collection:

Echolyn - Mei (49:33)
Ephemeral Sun - Harvest Aorta (41:56)
Edge of Sanity - Crimson (40:01)
The Flower Kings - The Truth Will Set You Free (31:02)
Transatlantic - All of the Above (30:59)
The Flower Kings - Garden of Dreams (59:18)
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray (53:41)
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II (42:43)
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (41:59)

Long enough for ya?

Delirium Cordia is longer and better than any of those.
Quote by OctaVariuM8
If I may weigh in on the apparent news that you thought of one or two hour songs, those exist from many prog bands. Concept albums, as a whole, are generally really one song, one whole idea wrapped up into an album. It is just that the musical structure everyone these days craves (both from recording companies and consumers) is individual tracks. Rarely will you see a prog band put out an album that is only one, epic, 70 minute song.

Aside from that, and highlighting the general points of what I am trying to say: Just listen to some concept albums, and don't think to yourself "now what was the name of that song?" or " I really like this track." Just let it do what it is intended to do (in most cases) from the artists prospective, and listen to it as a whole, not discriminating one "song" from another.

we already went over that. i ALWAYS listen to entire albums, for a few different reasons including that they're often concepts, its just that I must not be listening to the right albums because usually a cohesive-sounding piece doesn't last for more than like 20 minutes. The last few tracks of Dark Side of the Moon are connected if I remember correctly, but it wasn't nearly as crazy long as people make prog often sound. But people have given some info on this thread about ridiculously long songs (or cohesive pieces made from connected songs), so now I've actually found a few.

And Zed, there was 1 longer song in that list