I posted this thread in the wrong forum at first, my bad. :p

Is the big muff good for goosing an already distorted amp? I play thru a Fender Frontman 212R, with the gain usually at 6-9. When I click on th Muff, the sound is almost overloaded and super bassy, even with the tone rolled up. Am I doing something wrong?
Remember who you are, and Who's you are
i dont imagine youre doing anything wrong now, as such. you wouldve done something wrong a little while ago in getting a frontman 212r though. i was just playing through one today and honestly, it is barely passable on clean and with very, very mild gain. any more than that though, it will do exactly what youre finding is wrong: sound overloaded and overly bassy.
the big muff should be good otherwise. if you dont feel like getting a new amp, experiment with varying levels of bass on your amp
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
In my experience, the Big Muff is good for its unique tone... using it as an overdrive just gives me a more crackly version of the amp's distortion.
[img]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4057/oooooooooooooooojs2.gif[/img]
I think the Frontman is just dandy... You people and your ridiculous expectations...

So the Muff isn't a good gooser?
You're doing it alll right. The big muff is just that, dirty and very muffled and bassy! it's the nature of the pedal.

I use one in my pedal board for really nasty solos, especially simple slides on the bass strings, sounds killer! if you use it for that effect. I'd say it's a pretty tough pedal to use to shape your amp's tone. It's one of those 'special' pedals, not 'essential' ones, your pedals not broke, and neither is your usage of it,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
just try rolling some bass off first
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
i tried rolling off bass. not much tone difference. still muddy as the dickens
why no reason? I think it sounds fine with my boss overdrive/distortion.
I have the muff for a while now. And you're doin nothing wrong, the muff isn't a subtle pedal, and doesn't do well with more gain on the amp.
Quote by LordRubbaDuckie
I have the muff for a while now. And you're doin nothing wrong, the muff isn't a subtle pedal, and doesn't do well with more gain on the amp.

I find it works well with some gain on the amp already, actually, but not too too much.

The Muff isn't going to get you tight metal tones, OP, and it's not really a 'boost' pedal, unless you're wanting it for stuff like The Black Keys. It's meant to make your sound go all out bassy and fuzzy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
The Muff isn't going to get you tight metal tones, OP, and it's not really a 'boost' pedal, unless you're wanting it for stuff like The Black Keys. It's meant to make your sound go all out bassy and fuzzy.

+1 for Black Keys

Honestly it's your amp. You're adding tons-o-fuzz to a small solid state amp. Not a great equation.
Ridiculous expectations?

Some day you're ears will become accustomed to a better sounding amp. If you're happy and aren't open to other suggestions, fine by me.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by owentheobiwan
why no reason? I think it sounds fine with my boss overdrive/distortion.

Think about the gain stages and what you are trying to do. Running an OD (Gain at zero, volume maxed out) into an all tube amp slams the front end of it harder, creating harmonics and slight compression. It sounds great.

On the other hand, boosting an SS amp, doesn't really do much. You get a little more volume, and at some point hit ugly SS clipping.
Quote by denied
Think about the gain stages and what you are trying to do. Running an OD (Gain at zero, volume maxed out) into an all tube amp slams the front end of it harder, creating harmonics and slight compression. It sounds great.

On the other hand, boosting an SS amp, doesn't really do much. You get a little more volume, and at some point hit ugly SS clipping.

It's not so much that - boosting overdriven solid state amps with a clean booster, a graphic EQ, or an overdrive pedal which cleans up nicely, can be very effective, within moderation - you just gotta be careful not to clip the input stage and some have more headroom than others.

However, in this case, the pedal in question is a fuzz and that is why there's a problem. When you're running any "dirtbox" infront of a lightly overdriven tube amp it can work reasonably well so long as you go easy on the gain - if you boost the gain on the pedal too far then you're going to get a sloppy sound because you're just running a highly boosted signal in to boost another pedal - but if you don't have much gain, even if the sound is still very distorted, it can sound quite nice because the 2 different types of distortion blend in quite well.

With solid states, it's a different story with things like that, because pedal distortion generally doesn't mix too well with the solid state distortion built into these amplifiers, and you get a very messy distorted sound.

The big muff is a "super bassy" pedal so that's not the problem, but if you're using it into a solid state amp, it's only really gonna work nicely on the clean channel.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
A muff will sound huge if you're running the amp with a teeny amount of gain. If I'll be using my muff I set the amp so if I pick normally it crunches but it cleans up the softer I go. Then hit it square in the face with fuzz.

However, I never liked fuzz through my SS amps
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Billy Corgan used the Muff a lot on Siamese Dream. I think he ran it through the low input of a JCM 800 with master volume at full and the preamp barely turned up.
Muff isnt a fuzz pedal, its a loose ballsy bassy distortion, like other distortions, its designed to run with the amp clean or with very little gain.

Low/mid gain fuzz can work nicely with an overdriven amp.

I disagree with it being because its a solid state amp. If you stack the gain from OD pedals your still stacking transistor distortion, which is the same concept as running an od in front of an ss amp (as drive pedals, not a boost) really.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by Blompcube

The big muff is a "super bassy" pedal so that's not the problem, but if you're using it into a solid state amp, it's only really gonna work nicely on the clean channel.

The same thing happened on my valvetronix and happens on my TSL now if i use the muff on the crunch or lead channel if they have much distortion on them. I use it only with the clean gain now.

edit:
This isnt the muffs character, its the character of the muff trying to do something it dosn't do very well by the sounds of it.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by owentheobiwan
When I click on th Muff, the sound is almost overloaded and super bassy, even with the tone rolled up. Am I doing something wrong?
This is like asking... "If I put paint on a canvas and don't like the picture, am I doing something wrong?"

If you don't like the way a pedal sounds, then something is wrong. Just because a pedal puts out a tone that you don't like, it doesn't mean it can't make a tone you do like. All kinds of factors affect your tone. Change things up and experiment to see if the sound you want can be found. Every setup is different, so nobody can tell you where to set your dials. Between the pedal, the amp, and your guitar, there are a lot of knobs to tweak.
Quote by owentheobiwan
I think the Frontman is just dandy... You people and your ridiculous expectations...

So the Muff isn't a good gooser?

The Muff is a great pedal. It's high on my list of things to buy. Great sound.

The Frontman is a horrible amp. I've been trying to sell mine for months, but nobody will take it because it's THAT bad.

You're not doing anything wrong, and neither is the pedal. It's your amp.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep

The Frontman is a horrible amp. I've been trying to sell mine for months, but nobody will take it because it's THAT bad.

No it isn't his amp! This happened on my valvetronix and my TSL60 too. The muff turns to mud with an amp with too much distortion. I don't ever run mine on the crunch channel now, the frontman won't make his muff sound bad like that.

TS , run your muff on a clean amp setting
The Frontman really isn't a horrible amp... I mean, sure, if you're comparing it to a Super Marshall God amp or something, but it does it's thing like I need it to. I'd like to get a tube amp before too long, though.

I didn't realize that solid states and tubes really handled overdrives/fuzz/distortions that differently.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep

Really, it's not the amp. The FM should work fine as a pedal platform, you just need to run the Muff at low gain/clean settings to get it sounding "right." The same thing happens when I run it with the gain on my HRD or with the Classic Overdrive or HM-2 after it.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet