Or production too? You know like have you ever done any really odd mic positions that worked out well? Or some interesting use of effects which got you the sound you needed. I thought a thread like this would be useful to share new ideas about recording and creating music :]

I'm considering using a shit mic i have in conjunction with my normal mic and clipping it to hell to see if i can get some ncie sound with them both blended in together for instance, i heard jimmy page did a similar thing by overloading a mixing desk, dunno how that will turn out.
I did an acoustic cover of Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart, and I accidentally overdrove the mic, but not the pre-amp during the vocal... I'm also working on something that involves making a low church-bell tone using a pick keeping one string overlapping another...
i was trying to recorda two guitar being played using a bow liike a violin ala jimmy page and i got the idea to use one of the guitars as a bow while holding a chord or something it didnt work but mybe it was from lack of skill more than impossibilty
For the bridge section in my Placebo cover I used a bunch of mics that were lying around in the studio: SM57, AKG C1000S, Shure D112 and an AKG C414, and just put them in front of my amp at slightly varying distances, out of phase and all. Then messed with the levels to get an interesting sound.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
i recently recorded with my cab in my small kitchen so i could get some crazy reflections off the hard surfaces. one mic pointing at the floor away from the cab, about 3 or 4 feet away. another mic was a few feet behind the cab to catch some more different reflections.

doesnt sound great by itself, but when put together with a more conventionally recorded track it sounds cool. adds some nice reverb/depth to things.
Quote by jof1029
i recently recorded with my cab in my small kitchen so i could get some crazy reflections off the hard surfaces. one mic pointing at the floor away from the cab, about 3 or 4 feet away. another mic was a few feet behind the cab to catch some more different reflections.

doesnt sound great by itself, but when put together with a more conventionally recorded track it sounds cool. adds some nice reverb/depth to things.

I did this with my bathroom, i wish i had another mic now because the tone i heard in the headphones was great, since i was hearing the amp next to me and the mics signal in the bathroom combined. On its own it was still pretty 'trashy' sounding which was pretty nice though
The past few times I have recorded drums I have had the same jazz drummer, and we used a shotgun mic (typically for post-production) instead of overheads and it sounds great.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Ummm, on this one song, I reversed the signal of the guitar and enveloped it so that the editing line looked like multiple upside down U's, put in a delay that reversed on one side and regular on the other with the timing wayyy off, and then put in a tape delay and a quad delay (this was one a overdriven Fender Twin Reverb) and it made a crazyyy sound that was great for intros to a spacey theme.
I haven't done any weird mic positioning's or anything, but I once recorded a pipe organ so I could record it using an MXL 990 and 991. I've also recorded clarinet, chimes (tubular bells), glockenspiel...other stuff probably too.

Generally when I record an instrument that uses one Mic (Clarinet, Glockenspiel) I'd put the 991 over the instrument, and then put my 990 way up in the air a distance from it, as if I was trying to capture the sound of it in the room.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
I've gotten great sounds by recording in my acoustic deathtrap of a bedroom with the micrphone built into my laptop. Add some artificial reverb afterwards and it sounds like it's coming off a cassette tape.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I did this with my bathroom, i wish i had another mic now because the tone i heard in the headphones was great, since i was hearing the amp next to me and the mics signal in the bathroom combined. On its own it was still pretty 'trashy' sounding which was pretty nice though

doing this kind of thing is exactly what makes me want to get a reamp box. i can only imagine how deep it could sound if you could get the same original signal but from multiple reverb-y rooms. one take in the bathroom, one in the kitchen, then one straight up on the amp.

not as interesting, but i sometimes used to stick a condensor in the hallway outside my room. mostly to get the same kinda thing, but since it wasnt as reflective a space it didnt sound as wash-y, but still sounded kinda thin.
Quote by jof1029
doing this kind of thing is exactly what makes me want to get a reamp box. i can only imagine how deep it could sound if you could get the same original signal but from multiple reverb-y rooms. one take in the bathroom, one in the kitchen, then one straight up on the amp.

not as interesting, but i sometimes used to stick a condensor in the hallway outside my room. mostly to get the same kinda thing, but since it wasnt as reflective a space it didnt sound as wash-y, but still sounded kinda thin.

Depending on the interface you can do a 'reamp' i think. I considered this with my mbox but i don't want to damage the amp by plugging things in wrongly. I need a second mic anyway tbh..