I want to learn a song thats apparently in 6/4 time during the verse. It's called "Lost in You" by Three Days Grace. My girlfriend loves the tune so...

I have tried in vain to find a guitar pro file that will help me understand the rhythm of the song and "Tab Talk" didn't have much to say either.

So now I'm here looking for an explanation of how to feel rhythm in 6/4 time. How do you count it in your head? What is the theory behind the change in time signature. I would like to understand what is happening with 6/4 time and what the point of it is.

I know the very basics, that there are 6 quarter-note beats per measure. Thats where my knowledge stops.

What I wan't to achieve at the end of the day is the ability to tab this song out with the right rhythm parts for guitar and maybe eventually contribute it.

Any useful links or explanations would be appreciated. Thanks
Are you sure it's in 6/4 and not 3/4?

There's really not much to it. The strong beats are on 1 and 4. I count it 1 2 3 4 5 6 unless I'm subdividing.

The theory? It fits. The accents are in the right places. That's about it.

I don't really know what you're asking here.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Are you sure it's in 6/4 and not 3/4?

There's really not much to it. The strong beats are on 1 and 4. I count it 1 2 3 4 5 6 unless I'm subdividing.

that's 3/4 with those accents, is it not?

6/4 feels kind of bizarre. just feel it as a bar of four and a bar of two.

i believe some parts of "the end" by the doors are in 6/4.
#DTWD
Just listened to the song, it's definitely in 6/4.

TS, you basically just need to count it in your head and hear the accents. Primusfan has it right, it feels like a bar of four + a bar of two (or you could think of it as thee bars of 2 although that might feel a bit weird).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by primusfan
that's 3/4 with those accents, is it not?

Depends on where the accents lie. Most of the times I've seen 6/4 it could either be two bars of 3/4 or 1 bar of 6/4.