Page 1 of 2
I want to learn how to play heavy metal music, but I don't even know where to begin. I don't know where to go to learn, either. Any guitar lessons I've ever seen don't touch on genres, just basic techniques. Metal uses different techniques than what I've seen in the lessons I've looked at and I just want to be able to find something that is specifically geared toward the genre. Anybody have lessons like this? Or maybe tips from personal experience?
well the basics would be palm muting, pinch harmonics, trem picking, fast steady alternate picking and many more
but it really depends on which type of metal.
old school metal (sabbath etc) differs a lot to todays metal (parkway, bullet, as i lay daying etc)
Gear:

LTD MH-50
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by LiquidFear
well the basics would be palm muting, pinch harmonics, trem picking, fast steady alternate picking and many more
but it really depends on which type of metal.
old school metal (sabbath etc) differs a lot to todays metal (parkway, bullet, as i lay daying etc)

I've got the palm muting down from playing a lot of punk, but pinch harmonics kicks my ass lol
Yep, start by learning a couple of Sabbath tunes. I suggest Paranoid and something else off the album of the same name, maybe Electric Funeral, they're both easy.
Quote by xDynaBlade
I've got the palm muting down from playing a lot of punk, but pinch harmonics kicks my ass lol

Well, then you know what to practice don't you? If you're going to play metal I'd advice you to learn how to gallop as well.
Ibanez: RGD2127Z
Ibanez: RG1527
Ibanez: RG1570
Ibanez: S7420
Ibanez: JS100
Dean: Razorback Cemetery Gates
Peavey: 6505+
Fractal Audio: Axe FX II mark 2
Mesa Boogie: Recto 4x12

7>6! Join the 7-string legion!
just look up tabs and try playing them. obviously if a song sounds to hard don't attempt it. That's how i learnt anyway (and DUDE please don't play "parkway, bullet, as i lay daying etc"- that can hardly be considered metal AND how is bullet harder than sabbath? all those crappy metalcore/screamo/whiners play boring ass shit anyway).
Try some metallica; they're who i started with and their stuff isn't very technical but it's interesting enough.
Well I would hope if you want to learn how to play it, that you actually enjoy metal, then take the songs you enjoy and attempt to learn them.
Metallica will introduce you enough to alternate picking, palm muting, and other basic techniques you'll need to play metal.

I agree with Shamokk, learn some Metallica riffs.
Quote by shamokk
just look up tabs and try playing them. obviously if a song sounds to hard don't attempt it. That's how i learnt anyway (and DUDE please don't play "parkway, bullet, as i lay daying etc"- that can hardly be considered metal AND how is bullet harder than sabbath? all those crappy metalcore/screamo/whiners play boring ass shit anyway).
Try some metallica; they're who i started with and their stuff isn't very technical but it's interesting enough.

i didnt say bullet was harder than sabbath. i said they differ a lot
and i asked if he played parkway/bullet etc because metal covers a lot of sub genres and i wasnt sure what type of metal he wanted to learn, because to me they can differ a lot.

and dont call metalcore 'whiners' when you're whining about the genre yourself
Gear:

LTD MH-50
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Hell Kaiser Ryo
Well, then you know what to practice don't you? If you're going to play metal I'd advice you to learn how to gallop as well.

What's galloping?
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Metallica will introduce you enough to alternate picking, palm muting, and other basic techniques you'll need to play metal.

I agree with Shamokk, learn some Metallica riffs.

What are some easy enough Metallica songs?
Quote by xDynaBlade

some of the most popular metallica songs to learn would be enter sandman, seek & destroy, fade to black (the solos), master of puppets, the shortest straw and One.
thats what it seems like to me anyway
Gear:

LTD MH-50
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by xDynaBlade

Dyer's Eve, Harvester Of Sorrow, And Justice For All are all pretty easy to pick up.
Quote by xDynaBlade

entersandman
for whom the bell tolls
one
the solos are a bit more difficult but the riffs are playable
Quote by xDynaBlade
What's galloping?

A gallop is an alternate-picking technique which basically sounds like horse galloping
a good example of the technique is the main riff of metallica - battery.
Ibanez: RGD2127Z
Ibanez: RG1527
Ibanez: RG1570
Ibanez: S7420
Ibanez: JS100
Dean: Razorback Cemetery Gates
Peavey: 6505+
Fractal Audio: Axe FX II mark 2
Mesa Boogie: Recto 4x12

7>6! Join the 7-string legion!
Last edited by Hell Kaiser Ryo at Jul 23, 2010,
Learn almost anything off ...And Justice For All. It's a pretty easy album though it has some pretty challenging solo's on it I can't do, though it's been more than 2 years (I'm almost sure) since I played any Metallica. I haven't really used a guitar in standard tuning in a very long time.. I'm a dropped C/D standard guy.

Plus my LTD's action is too ridiculous to even think about soloing lol. Stupid guitar..
Learn some Venom and Celtic Frost. Might as well learn from the roots of extreme metal.

Quote by shamokk
(and DUDE please don't play "parkway, bullet, as i lay daying etc"- that can hardly be considered metal AND how is bullet harder than sabbath? all those crappy metalcore/screamo/whiners play boring ass shit anyway).

Mall metal has nothing to do with hardcore or emo or 'screamo'.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jul 23, 2010,
Pinch harmonics shouldn't be your key concern in my opinion, they're more of a flair technique. coming out of punk you probably have your power chords down like fat kids and ice cream or something of the sort. You said you got palm muting down as well, so from there I'd say get the full versions of the basic chords down ABCDEFG if you don't already know them cuz those will come in handy in any genre then work on learning economy picking. There's tutorials here on the site to help you with that.
My transition that sounds like it could be similar to your would be: All-American Rejects (punkish) ---> AC/DC; thunderstruck and back in black were my big two from them -----> metallica; master of puppets and fade to black were my two from them ----> from there I pretty much messed around a little bit wherever: Guns n' Roses to Lamb of God to Judas Priest. Basically I guess what I'm tryin to say is backtrack a step/decade or two and see who your current metal musicians' idols were and try learning some of their stuff. Don't jump right into Mastodon or something right away, because it will overwhelm you like you seem to be right now. Whenever someone starts they have their goal of who they want to play like so just backtrack until you find some stuff that you can grasp. My idols in metal tend to come right from the blues rock styles and their soloing proves it albeit faster and more technical as you learn you'll notice things like how pentatonic stuff (very bluesy) is used by anyone from angus young (AC/DC) to Zakk Wylde (Ozzy/Black Label Society). Whew, I hope that wasn't too much of a rant w/e hopefully you can pull something out of that garbled mess of advice and life story lol.
Good luck rising up in the wonderful world of metal.
Well, you want to start with the basics: downpicking, tremelo picking, alternate picking, gallops, etc. I'd just work your way up. I'd start with early tunes from Black Sabbath and Priest. I'd then move on to Iron Maiden to work on your gallops and such. One thing I can't stress enought though is relaxing and keeping losse while playing. One thing that hindered my speed and progress is tensing up my arm. Use your wrist instead of the combination of the wrist and forearm. You'll achieve greater control using your wrist.
Quote by XSamX
hahhaha, saw this comment and knew what song it was before i clicked link

sounds hard!
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Seek & Destroy is the easiest,
then For Whom.

They are great songs to sing tho.
:P
Leukemia Skywalker
If your coming from the world of punk to metal I suggest learning crossover thrash and thrash metal since the genres were influenced by punk and metal

But starting with sabbath and then moving onward from their to find your own type of metal is nice
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Quote by xDynaBlade
What's galloping?

Every Slayer song ever made! ZING!
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by GibsonMan321
Every Slayer song ever made! ZING!

I loled but I'm a slayer fan so I have to secretly hate you
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Pinch Harmonics are a bit of an advanced technique. Work on your tremolo picking and alternate picking first, those are the most important techniques.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned legato yet. That's something you should definitely work on for metal, especially for leads. When I say legato I don't just mean something like a quick hammer pull, you should work on it so you can get 5-10 notes from a single picking.
Quote by shamokk

I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Tapping, sweeping. But it's advanced. Trills are good. Try Cannibal Corpse - Covered with sores for trills. This one song helped me a lot.
Proudly endorsed by Kamecki Guitars and WBgear!

My guitars:
-B.C Rich NJ Jr.V Deluxe (6 string guitar)
-Kamecki Custom V guitar
Start off learning pinch harmonics? And sweeping? Seriously?

So day one of learning metal you started doing sweeps and pinch harmonics?
Quote by shamokk

if you find as i lay dying music boring you have something wrong with you

especially their new album

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
pretty much you cannot just learn to play one genre.. along the way to it youre gonna have to learn to play a whole buncha shit

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Basic techniques would just be palm muting, alternate picking, power chords, etc.

To learn metal rhythm, you should learn how to gallop, know some basic variations of the three-string power chord, and of course pinch harmonics.

To really play lead metal guitar, I'd suggest you learn how to do these things well, and how to combine them to make some really sweet solos:
- Sweep picking
- Tapping (with fingers and pick, multi-finger optional)
- Speed picking
- Legato
Page 1 of 2