Hi UG,

I'm starting up a solo project but I have no idea what kind of music I wanna write, my influences are very ranged and my songwriting is very ranged as well. I just can't decide on what genre to stick to.

So, I was wondering, how does everyone decide on their genre or how does everyone think I should decide on a genre?

Thanks, Li
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by blake1221
What's the one type of music that you want to hear, that hasn't been done yet?

Do that.

I have no idea... What type of music do you want to hear, that hasn't been done yet?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Play the genre you like the most
or make a new genre start a revolution
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
Play what you want to play.
F*ck the haters.

But I have no idea what I wanna play, tis why I made this thread XD
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
But I have no idea what I wanna play, tis why I made this thread XD

I figured.
But, if you don't know what you wanna play, what makes you think we're gonna know what you wanna play?

Just pick the one you like playing the most and do that, that's what I did.
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
I figured.
But, if you don't know what you wanna play, what makes you think we're gonna know what you wanna play?

Just pick the one you like playing the most and do that, that's what I did.

Ok, I shall see what I like the most
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
I've decided to go in a Libertines-esque route
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
The songs I write are just the songs I write, and whatever my bandmates add in afterwards makes it whatever genre it is. I didn't pick a genre to play and set out to write songs that fit into it. Just let it be whatever it will be- as long as you enjoy what you're playing and hearing then that's all that matters.
...I don't understand, why are you sticking to one genre?
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
As varied as you think your songs are, when you get the same people playing the same instruments together, the sound is invariably the same. Just play your songs - they may sound different to you, but to the audience there will always be a common sound between them.

Consider the Beatles, and the massive amount of genres they played. You can still pick a Beatles song immediately due to their sound. Even Faith No More, where the genres are more extreme, sound like Faith No More.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You shouldn't "decide" on a genre. Just make music and then see what genre it is.

You know what, you can even leave off the second part if you want.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by irweojhy903!ier
Play your 1st love...
what made you pick up a guitar?

The Red Hot Chili Peppers or Guns N Roses... Can't quite remember
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
I've decided to go in a Libertines-esque route

This is probably the worst thing you can do, not because the Libertines aren't a good band, but if you decide to just write music "in the style of a band" then all of your songs will sound like them.

I know this sounds vague but just write music, it helps to have a general idea of style, but that should only go as far as "rock/indie," for example, as opposed to a "Libertines-esque" band.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
This is probably the worst thing you can do, not because the Libertines aren't a good band, but if you decide to just write music "in the style of a band" then all of your songs will sound like them.

I know this sounds vague but just write music, it helps to have a general idea of style, but that should only go as far as "rock/indie," for example, as opposed to a "Libertines-esque" band.

I did mean that, but like the Libertines side of indie-rock, not the pussy side of indie-rock like a lot of the crap played on NME these days.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
the answer is simple: DONT choose. i love all of the following genres:
reggae
progressive rock
psychedelic rock
punk rock
post-hardcore punk
classic rock
ska-jazz
free jazz
jazz fusion
alternative country
country rock
funk
funk rock
folk
folk rock
psychedelic folk
progressive folk
classical (yes, fudgin bheetoven shiz)
ambient
indie
jam bands
bluegrass
blues
classic metal (sabbath)
acid rock
art rock
art punk
grunge

and ive never had to choose between those genres, i get to play all of them in my band, if you can figure out how to smoothly combine all of the styles you like, you'll never have to choose
Here's how you decide in 4 easy steps:

1. Don't decide.
2. Write a song you like.
3. Record said song.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as often as necessary unless recommended otherwise by your primary care physician.

That's what I do. The public forces me to classify my music somehow, so I usually say tech glam prog death fusion dance punk, which is honestly an accurate descirption of a lot of it. But its music, not anything else, and you don't have to stick to one genre. Just stick to music.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at Jul 24, 2010,
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
Here's how you decide in 4 easy steps:

1. Don't decide.
2. Write a song you like.
3. Record said song.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as often as necessary unless recommended otherwise by your primary care physician.

That's what I do. The public forces me to classify my music somehow, so I usually say tech glam prog death fusion dance punk, which is honestly an accurate descirption of a lot of it. But its music, not anything else, and you don't have to stick to one genre. Just stick to music.

Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Yea like I'm trying to smoothly combine reggae funk and hard rock/classic metal, I think I've been able to do so its weird but its pretty cool as well. First try to combine genres, then if you have too many genres to combine narrow it down a bit, and if combining genres doesn't work out write songs in different genres and bring them to your band.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Last edited by GangsterLi at Aug 2, 2010,
Pick a few bands you like, learn their stuff well, decide what you don't like about them and improve on it.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Don't ever choose a particular genre of music and stick to it. Genres are pretty much just media tags create to make money.

Personally, I never decided on what type of genre I was going to play. I started creating my own songs, then I figured out that I was leaning more towards the Rock vein in music history. So, that's how I describe my music in the simplest of terms...Rock music. I didn't start off saying, " I want to write Rock songs", it just happened. (I know that last part sounds corny, but you get my point lol)