I know I'm posting a lot at the moment but I'm completely lost to be honest. I know exactly the type of sound I want to get but the difficulty is firstly getting an amp that can do what I want it to do, and secondly finding a way to get my pedals to get along with the amp

So basically is there a way that I can switch from the overdrive to the clean channel on the amp and AT THE SAME TIME turn on my big muff? I'm done with tap dancing around my pedalboard so I need a way to get from a nice crunchy dirt sound to a big muff sound without stepping on a hundred buttons at once

It's harder than it sounds because in my experience, big muffs sound just nasty if there's even the slightest bit of dirt in the amp. so basically the amp has to be running perfectly clean all the time. But what if I want to go from a light overdrive sound to a big muff sound? well I'd have to switch channels to the clean channel, and then turn on the big muff and it's just not practical!

I'm not completely adverse to using pedals for an overdrive tone but this again is tricky because all the overdrive pedals I've tried alter the sound of the big muff in a really bad way if they're both on at the same time, plus I'd feel like I'd be wasting half the features of the amp - I mean what's the point of a Marshall if I wouldn't technically be using it's own distortion?

so you can see how it's awkward. Is there ANYTHING I can do to make life easier?
Thank you in advance

oh by the way, I'm trying to get a sort of Smashing Pumpkins sound. if you listen to live versions of snail or mayonaise, you'll hear how the amp is dirty at the start of the song and then the big muff kicks in and it's just epic. yeah I want that
Get an OD pedal next to the muff?

Perfect your timing?

I know what you mean, i want a pro pedalboard that can be programmed to turn multiple things on/off with a switch - i don't know if it exists to the public though, without great cost atleast.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
if I get an OD pedal, how do I know it will 'work' well next the muff though? I've bought an MXR distortion 3, a boss OD 2, lots of behringer overdrive pedals, and some danelectro pedals and a lot of them change the tone of the muff. like the mxr for example, when they were both on at the same time, the big muff became really thin and harsh and trebly
If your amp has inputs for the two separate channels just get an A/B box

-A> Overdrive Channel
Guitar >
-B> Big Muff > Clean Channel

Of course it would be a hassle trying to accommodate for other effects.
Hmm. I've been wondering about this lately.

I know most pro rack systems will send a signal to control your amp channels.

I'm pretty sure you could custom build a box that is basically a channel switch, but at the same time will also open and close a loop. Put the muff in that loop. PM forsaknazreal, I know he just got in a bunch of parts, and would probably build it for you at a fair price.

Anthony - If you just want to run multiple pedals off of a single switch, look into something like the carl martin octaswitch. Doesn't come cheap, but basically you can put up 8 pedals in a individual loops (or more pedals per loop), and then choose which ones area activated or true bypassed for 8 different options of combinations.
I could build one yeah. The a/b box sounds exactly what I want though but I don't know of any marshalls that have separate inputs for overdrive and clean. are there any?
Quote by wardyh
I could build one yeah. The a/b box sounds exactly what I want though but I don't know of any marshalls that have separate inputs for overdrive and clean. are there any?

I don't know, that's why I wasn't sure if it would work for you. You could ask the guys in GB&C about making something just for this. There's some pretty crafty people over there.
If your budget is moderate to high, you could invest in the Voodoo Labs Pedal Switcher and Commander boards. Though since you are only wanting to switch between amp channels and only one pedal, its kind of overkill. If you get more pedals later on, you will have the setup to create infinite tones. Im personally thinking of getting something like it if I could afford it.
no that's massively out of my price range. I'm looking at £400 max and that has to include the amp - and I still don't know which amp to go for
Get a plank or something and put it on the footswitch for the amp and the Big Muff?

And I dunno what you're talking about, Big Muffs sound absolutely killer on top of distortion. In fact, that's how most people use 'em. Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys, David Gilmour, Jack White, the guy from Smashing Pumpkins, I think, as well? to name a few...

The trick to it is having the overdrive on the amp set somewhat low and play with the tone knob of the Big Muff. I find it darkens things up dramatically when coupled with amp distortion, so I have to turn mine all the way to the right for it to be bright enough.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 23, 2010,
well maybe you're right about the big muff but since I can't actually test one out with a proper tube amp until I've already bought the amp I'll have to take other people's word for it

but on my old solid state marshall, the muff turned to complete mush if there was ANY hint of overdrive on the amp at all. I used the exact big muff settings that billy corgan used.
his muff sound amazing. on a clean setting I could sort of get the sound, but on an overdriven amp it sounded really muffled like there was a blanket draped over it! not just dark. when I was playing on lower strings especially, you couldn't hear a single note

but I don't know maybe there's a trick to it that I'm not getting. if someone knows how to get a big muff to sound good on an overdriven amp I'd be very grateful!
Many MIDI controllers do it, but you'd also need some sort of MIDI interface to your amp (TC G-Major or something).

Just use a piece of wood over both pedals as someone suggested, or use your other foot, it's not like you're switching tons of pedals here
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I put my amps channel switch on the floor below my fuzz (which is low on my pedal board). When I stomp, my heal hits the channel switch and my toe hits the fuzz switch.
well I suppose that could work for some things, but as the singer + lead guitarist I've got a lot to worry about already! And sometimes I might need to turn on more than just the muff, like for a solo I might need to turn on the muff and a delay and a phaser at the same time.
So I'd still rather have it all in one switch so I'll check out an A/B box or maybe get one built specially

and it was the AVT series which probably isn't any better. Are you saying that big muffs react better to tube amps? This might be the solution. I'm just puzzled to be honest because I've definitely seen people use big muffs on overdriven amps and I haven't a clue how they do it!
Quote by Raijouta
Get a plank or something and put it on the footswitch for the amp and the Big Muff?

And I dunno what you're talking about, Big Muffs sound absolutely killer on top of distortion. In fact, that's how most people use 'em. Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys, David Gilmour, Jack White, the guy from Smashing Pumpkins, I think, as well? to name a few...

The trick to it is having the overdrive on the amp set somewhat low and play with the tone knob of the Big Muff. I find it darkens things up dramatically when coupled with amp distortion, so I have to turn mine all the way to the right for it to be bright enough.

They don't use the big muffs you buy in regular shops though, most of them use modded and/or vintage Big muffs so it makes a bit of a difference.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

I do exactly what you're talking about all the time, I switch off my amp's od, a turn on my Big Muff, I have two feet, I use one foot for each pedal, I also sing, you just have to be good at balancing.

Everything reacts better to tube amps, Muffs included.

When you need to turn on multiple effect on and off at the same time, you either need a lot of money, or some tap dancing lessons.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by 667
I put my amps channel switch on the floor below my fuzz (which is low on my pedal board). When I stomp, my heal hits the channel switch and my toe hits the fuzz switch.

I put mine next to each other and kinda turn my foot sides enough to switch both at once.

I've also made a effects loop pedal in the past, with a switch for each effects loop so I could turn them on independently or not but it's takes up some room on the pedal board and a lot of cables.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Gord@k
They don't use the big muffs you buy in regular shops though, most of them use modded and/or vintage Big muffs so it makes a bit of a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMkLL_sgPqI

The NYC Muff seems to me to be a strikingly good reissue. Of course the Vintage one has the extra edge and presence but the NYC RI can still do everything the old ones do just fine.

And I'm pretty sure Billy Corgan actually used a Deluxe Big Muff, which wasn't actually a "muff", it used chips instead of transistors I think. I'm actually looking to buy a Op-Amp Muff from SUF.
What you need is a pedal that allows you to use multiple effects loops. There are several. The cheapest one is the boss model. However changing channels on the amp with the same button press gets more complex. Not all amps do their channel selects in the same way. It would make the world less complex if they did but it would also make it boring. There are MIDI rack boxes with a floor pedal systems that allow for channel changes and many other things but this is a really expensive setup. As others here have mentioned a custom built pedal is about your only option if you want to get away with fewer dollars spent. The trouble is that later when you upgrade your amp that box would then be worthless as I bet that the new amp would change it's channels in an electronicly different way. My setup comes closest but it involves using a MIDI controllable multi-effects box, in my case a PodXT, and a midi floor pedal board. This pedal board has two switch's connected to two line out jacks that connect to the amps channel change jack via a dual mono>stereo line. On program changes I can turn on or off those switches thereby controlling my PodXT's program and my amp's channel and gain boost functions with one foot pedal press. Granted that a PodXT only mimics real individual pedals but it works for me and is far more flexible as long as you take it's limitations into account when using it.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Jul 25, 2010,