Poll: Which one and what are the differences?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one and what are the differences?
Epiphone Les Paul 56 Gold Top - 400€
3 12%
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top - 500€
9 36%
ESP KH-2 500€
8 32%
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top - 600€
5 20%
Voters: 25.
Hello, everyone

I am using a Washburn X10B(cheap guitar) and looking to upgrade to a better one since I can't get this one to sound well, the high notes and hammer on/pull offs are really hard to hear as well as bending.

I would like to note that I am mostly plaing Guns N' Roses/Metallica/Killswitch Engage/Three days grace songs so I would like your opinion on which of the following guitars I should be buying.

Could you describe the differences on the guitars of the poll? Does it worth the price difference from gold top to plain/plus top epiphone?

I have also included the ESP KH-2 in the poll but I am not sure if I should purchase it over the epiphone's since it's mostly a guitar for metal songs(or is that wrong?).

Thanks in advance
Last edited by zefs at Jul 23, 2010,
I can't really say what to buy. I just want to know why are you limiting your choices to epiphone?
Quote by Zeletros
I can't really say what to buy. I just want to know why are you limiting your choices to epiphone?

This, depending on what you play AND the amp you're playing through, don't limit yourself to Epiphone.. There's more "Bang for your buck" guitars from different brands..

Also here's a good note: Upgrade AMP before GUITAR..
The gold top has P90 pickups which are weaker than all of the other guitars and not really great for rock.

The kirk hammett guitar has pickups that are probably the highest output which would be the best for heavy rock and metal. It also has a floyd rose style whammy bar, so if you play songs that use that a lot, it might be something to consider. It is NOT JUST for heavy styles, it can pull off most tones to an extent. The neck profile (where the palm of your hand would touch) is different from the les pauls. It would look and feel like a thin "D". The Les Pauls are more like a "C".

The Les Pauls are the exact same except for the plain top has a normal, unfigured maple veneer and the plus top has a flamed maple veneer. That is basically a thin piece of wood that makes it look pretty. They have pickups that are pretty good for pretty much any style of music. They also have finished necks which you may or may not like.

I would suggest going out and testing these guitars before you buy them if you haven't already, to see if you actually like them.

For the bands that you listed, in my opinion, i would go with the ESP/LTD Kirk guitar. The only drawback to it is if you want to change tunings, it's a pain in the ass to do with a "floyd rose" guitar if you have never used one before. So if you change tunings a lot, then it may not be a good choice.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
My AMP is the one that came with the guitar, it's the Washburn(WA15G)

I limit the option to epiphone because I thought that's the best ones that can get you slash sound for that budget?

Actually what I am trying to achieve with the upgrade is to be able make GNR songs sound good but also play songs from metallica(like fade to black) and metal songs like killswitch engage ones.

I just don't know which guitar would sound best on both of these song styles.
Feel free to suggest other brands as well, if you think it would be a better purchase.

Budget is ~500/600€
The sound is 90% amp, 1% guitar and 9% your skill if you ask me. It's rarely about the guitar.
So you suggest that I keep this guitar and get a better AMP?
Or maybe get a better AMP now and then upgrade guitar on future?

If so, which one should I get for the play style I mentioned?
Quote by zefs
So you suggest that I keep this guitar and get a better AMP?
Or maybe get a better AMP now and then upgrade guitar on future?

If so, which one should I get for the play style I mentioned?

Which Metallica songs besides fade to black do you play? that is important because they have a lot of high gain songs and some with very little.
I am learning One/Nothing Else Matters/Enter Sandman/Unforgiven/Master of puppets etc.
I mostly enjoy playing Kirk's and Slash's solos as well.
Yeah, sorry for posting on the wrong section.
Could you also describe why you would choose the KH2?
I love the design of it more than the epiphones, by the way.
Last edited by zefs at Jul 25, 2010,
I have two suggestions for you: A amp, and a guitar, both put together and in your budget.

For the guitar I suggest the Vintage V100. It's a Les Paul model, and I myself have heard great story's about the Vintage branded guitars, and I actually bought one (I own a Vintage LVS6, which is for lefty's, just VS6 if your not a lefty though), and even though it's an SG model, and not what I'm recommending you, I love my guitar, and it really is worth every penny.
I've seen the V100's reviews also here on Ultimate guitar, and they are between 9-10, which is great since 10 is the highest praise possible.

http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Vintage-Standard-Series-V100TSB-Tobacco-Sunburst/art-GIT0018618-000
I also think in looks your winning since the headstock looks a lot better and similar to a Gibson then Epiphones do.

As for the amp, you can get a Vox VT15 / VT30 / VT50 / VT100
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/VOX-VT15-Valvetronix-15-Watt-Combo/art-GIT0014349-000

All those models have exactly the same features and only have one difference, which is the Watt power, so basically, you only need to pay more if you want more volume and not more effects or so.

About the amp now, it's a Vox, which says a lot. It's a very known brand, and it's a modeling tube valve amp, which is a thumbs up already. I've always prefered Valve amps, since their sound really is quite unique.
It's got a ton of different amp models within it and it is extremely versatile.
As you can see from the features it has on any website, including the link I gave above, it has 22x song presets, by this it means you can simply put it on one of those modes and get the best sound possible out of the amp for that particular song. The list consists of quite some known songs, such as Paranoid, Crossroads, Sultans of Swing and others.
But the best part is that one of the songs in those presets is Sweet child o' mine, which is perfect for you since it is a great song, very popular to any GnR fan.
Since you like Metallica I guess it's worth saying it also has Enter Sandman as a preset song too.

You can get both within your budget, so if I were in your shoe's that would be my choice, but obviously the final word comes from you. =)
Hey jpcl, thanks for your reply.
I couldn't find the V100 in my country, does it differ from the
EPIPHONE LES PAUL LP-100 model?
Why would you chose to buy an Epiphone?! look, as far as Epiphone Goes, if it's not either the;
Epiphone B.B. King ES-345 "Lucille"
Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty Custom
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Custom
Epiphone Ace Frehley Signature Les Paul Custom

....If it isn't one of those Epiphone Guitars, then don't bother with an Epiphone, March into your nearest Guitar Center, Tell the Manager or the Highest Ranked Salesman Available "I want to buy a Used Gibson Faded-Finish Les Paul or SG, or Flying V, Explorer, etc" okay now that's VERY, VERY IMPORTANT....You Might End up spending an extra $100 for a Guitar that's a FAR-MORE Elite Instrument that will stay in good shape over many years, and will hold it's resale value...an old epiphone is worth dick because the necks bend over time, the finish gets damaged & then what do you have? ...whatever it is, it's still a COPY of a Gibson...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Lol, the LP-100 and the V100 aren't comparable. The LP-100 is the second most basic LP model Epiphone makes. At most, the V100 should be compared with the LP Standard, but still the V100 will win that fight. The Alnico V humbuckers on the LP Standard, are ok. But the Wilkinson pickups are better, and that I can garantee since my LVS6 has the same pickup's as the V100.
Well i use the Epiphone Les Paul EX ME and it sounds great, the EMG pcikups gives a nice and heavy sound if ur in to metal
Obviously that's going to sound good since it's more of a higher-end model of the range, and it has EMG pickups which is a great brand. But seeing by the choices he gave, he would have to waste all of his budget on that guitar, and not would that mean he wouldn't be able to buy a good amp (which is even more important then the guitar), but he would also be getting a guitar that's not really what he wants.

I can feel how he may be playing different styled bands, but GnR is his true dedication, and like he said, he'd love to get a sound as close as possible to Slash's guitar.

My suggestion was the V100 and the amp I suggested in a previous post, and now that I think of it, by buying those two, you should be spending around 450-500 euros, and if your budget is of around 600, you can just spend the rest of the money on Seymour Duncan Slash Signatured pickups. And Voilá.
Actually I was looking for a purchase that would be able to pull out both of these styles the best(GNR/Metallica and metal songs). I have been told that epiphone's I mentioned could get great metal sound and that the KH202 can get Slash sound(but not as good as an epiphone).

Also, I want my next guitar to be a good improvement over my Washburn X10B which I can't even get the pull offs to sound well(it's like the notes aren't played when pulling off) as I mentioned before.

About the V100, it seems to be a bit harder to find than Standard models, and also lacks 2 frets, would that matter?
If it's that bad, I can garantee you it'll be a very good improvement, and that once again, I'd like to suggest you to buy that amp, because amps are even more important then the actual guitars.

Indeed, though may I ask please where are you from? =)
And well, obviously it's different then having those 2 extra frets, but it's not really a big deal. It is well worth the loss since your much into stuff like GnR. If you get a metal designed guitar you'll be a bit disappointed at playing other music genres other then metal.
Hey jpcl, I just watched some videos and the V100 sound sounds amazing.
I think I will be buying what you suggested, since I hear that the AMP is also very good.

I am from Greece, do you mind suggesting any good online stores where I can find this guitar and that it ships to Europe? Also, in what colors does the V100 come? Can't find it on epiphone's website.
If your interested in a LP style guitar a highly reccomend ckecking out agiles they are great. Their quality and sound is way better than any epiphone i have ever played. I think there even better than a LP standard. But the best part is there cheep. Check them out you wont regret it. Rondomusic.com
Quote by zefs
Hey jpcl, I just watched some videos and the V100 sound sounds amazing.
I think I will be buying what you suggested, since I hear that the AMP is also very good.

I am from Greece, do you mind suggesting any good online stores where I can find this guitar and that it ships to Europe? Also, in what colors does the V100 come? Can't find it on epiphone's website.

I'm glad you liked it. =)
And I guess a good and cheap online guitar shop, that can ship to Greece.
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/PTE/Shipping-Information/cat-Versandinfo?showRightPanel=true

You can find on the link above info on prices for it to be shipped to Greece.

As for the colours...Why did you look it up on Epiphone's website? O.õ
Vintage and Epiphone are two completly different brands, lol.

But anyways, here's the colours/models available and their prices.
http://www.musicstore.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/PTE/ViewParametricSearch-SimpleOfferSearch?SearchParameter=%26%40QueryTerm%3Dvintage%2Bv100%26ManufacturerName%3DVintage