So it's high time I got some new gear and I've narrowed it down to two choices: either an Ibanez S320 with upgraded pickups, or an RG1570 which I would leave stock. The thing is the S320 with upgrades would still be significantly cheaper than the RG. Considering that I'm almost exclusively a bedroom player, do you think it's worth it to fork out the extra money for the RG? (the difference is quite substantial: 500 Euros for the S with dimarzios vs almost 900 Euros for the RG completely stock).

Serious advice please.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I think it is worth the money; the feel of a prestige model compared to that of the standard Ibanez line is quite incredibly different.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well IMO... I'd go for the S320...
As much as I love the feel of the RG 1570.... all S series guitars have AWESOME trems (the ZR's)
And since you're getting Dimarzios too... it won't be all too bad...
But anyways... in terms of feeling... the Prestige line guitars have necks with the most orgasmic feel.... only beaten by the J-custom....
Yeah, well... tomorrow I'm going to the store to try'em both, and we'll see. One question though: why does the rg1570 have the pickups screwed directly into the body? It looks weird. What's wrong with pickup rings?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
Yeah, well... tomorrow I'm going to the store to try'em both, and we'll see. One question though: why does the rg1570 have the pickups screwed directly into the body? It looks weird. What's wrong with pickup rings?

Design choice? I think it looks better
Quote by nemesis_911
Well IMO... I'd go for the S320...
As much as I love the feel of the RG 1570.... all S series guitars have AWESOME trems (the ZR's)
And since you're getting Dimarzios too... it won't be all too bad...
But anyways... in terms of feeling... the Prestige line guitars have necks with the most orgasmic feel.... only beaten by the J-custom....

the rg1570 comes with the edge zero which is a the highend version of the zr, which completely invalidates that statement for comparison purposes.

prestige for bedroom use, don`t see the problem there, atm i`m not playing live or in a band and i`m using a Jem for bedroom use......
Quote by ibanezgod1973

prestige for bedroom use, don`t see the problem there, atm i`m not playing live or in a band and i`m using a Jem for bedroom use......

The problem is that I feel it's a shame to spend so much money on a guitar and not exploit it to its full potential.

Also, the one I saw in some shop came with an Edge Pro.

Last edited by Mad Marius at Jul 23, 2010,
As long as you play it, it will be exploited to its full potential.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
As long as you play it, it will be exploited to its full potential.

Well, playing on stage in front of a crowd isn't the same as playing in front of a Guitar Pro window.

It's not the same for you personally, but the guitar doesn't know any better.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
ok so you`ve seen last years model, which imo the pro is alot better than the zero by along way, the zr is very lowend and only marginally better than a edge 3. play a S prestige then play a standard S, then you`ll realise the enhanced quality and feel, ibanez wizard necks are great but a prestige neck is otherworldy.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 23, 2010,
Quote by srob7001
It's not the same for you personally, but the guitar doesn't know any better.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

Quote by ibanezgod1973
ok so you`ve seen last years model, which imo the pro is alot better than the zero by along way,

Why?

Quote by ibanezgod1973

the zr is very lowend and only marginally better than a edge 3.

I'm not sure I agree. First of all, the ZR overcomes the biggest Edge III problem, namely the poor quality knife edges that become dull too early. People everywhere, in forums and in reviews, repeatedly praise the ZR while slamming the Edge III. Furthermore, there are big name artists, namely Chris Broderick, who prefer the ZR over higher end edges. The difference seems to be more than "marginally better", but as I said earlier, we'll see.

Quote by ibanezgod1973

play a S prestige then play a standard S, then you`ll realise the enhanced quality and feel, ibanez wizard necks are great but a prestige neck is otherworldy.

I never doubted that the Prestiges are better than their Indonesian made counterparts, however that is also reflected in the price (which is nearly twice as high).

like i said my opinion on the pro vs zero, is that it`s much easier to maintain and setup there`s no messing about with ball ends etc.

i`d sooner have a trem system that when i change strings as frequently as i do ic can swap them over in 10 minutes tune up, clean, oil, and be playing within 20 minutes rather than spending a couple of hours waiting for everything to settle down. ........again this is my opinion
Ok...so then what are you wanting to know from us?

You seem like you already have your mind made up.

I have a 1800.00 guitar but I play at home only. What does it matter where it gets played based off of how much it cost?
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Ok...so then what are you wanting to know from us?

You seem like you already have your mind made up.

I have a 1800.00 guitar but I play at home only. What does it matter where it gets played based off of how much it cost?

No, I'm far from having my mind made up. I guess I just have this preconceived idea that buying high end gear for home use is, for lack of a better word, overkill. I just wanted to see what people thought.

The main issue is cost effectiveness really. Medium range guitar with high quality pickups, vs high end guitar with meh pickups for nearly twice as much...

don`t rest everything on the pickups, there`s alot more to a guitar than wow it`s got shiny stuff, tone and feel are the most important
Quote by Mad Marius
No, I'm far from having my mind made up. I guess I just have this preconceived idea that buying high end gear for home use is, for lack of a better word, overkill. I just wanted to see what people thought.

The main issue is cost effectiveness really. Medium range guitar with high quality pickups, vs high end guitar with meh pickups for nearly twice as much...

Meh pickups? Yeah you really know your facts

if you got a good amp and good technique it'll be more than enough for a bedroom player

and like ibanezgod said,the ZR isn't heaps better than edge III,I've seen ZR's with some real bad faults + the ZPS is quite hard to setup

I don't understand your "it's too good for me" argument,that's like buying a corrolla when you can buy a Porsche but cause you aren't a racer you don't want one o_O

ofcourse the quality is gonna be heaps better in 1570
Quote by archenemyfan

I don't understand your "it's too good for me" argument,that's like buying a corrolla when you can buy a Porsche but cause you aren't a racer you don't want one o_O

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. You fail to realize that guitar isn't his entire life? What if he wants to buy a car or pay for school or something?

TBH I wasn't that impressed with the RG1570 I played, probably because of the set-up, but an older Korean made guitar like my IC200 or even an Indonesian S320 would serve it's purpose just as well, just without the "Prestige".

Personally an older RG550 or RG770 or even an S540 would be an excellent alternative.
Quote by archenemyfan
Meh pickups? Yeah you really know your facts

if you got a good amp and good technique it'll be more than enough for a bedroom player

In a Prestige model I would expect something better than those Vs which are exactly "meh".

Quote by archenemyfan

and like ibanezgod said,the ZR isn't heaps better than edge III,I've seen ZR's with some real bad faults + the ZPS is quite hard to setup

I suppose you get what you pay for. Considering the price, people seem to idolize the ZR.

Quote by archenemyfan

That's not a bad analogy actually.

Wait, so... Why are you not able to go for an S Prestige?

Wouldn't the ZR-2 in the Prestige be better than the ZR on the 320? I thought the ZR-2 was great, not the range of a Floyd, but lasts and is good for the working man like myself. I found the setup process to be quite easy... Any trem will be some sort of hassle to set up.
Quote by page.slash
Wait, so... Why are you not able to go for an S Prestige?

Wouldn't the ZR-2 in the Prestige be better than the ZR on the 320? I thought the ZR-2 was great, not the range of a Floyd, but lasts and is good for the working man like myself. I found the setup process to be quite easy... Any trem will be some sort of hassle to set up.

not really,the ZR2 is same as the ZR but with a different arm holder
If its cost effectiveness you want, go for the S320, and get it professionally set up, and get the fret ends and frets "touched up".
Ive played some standard medium end guitars set up properly which feel almost as good as the high end prestige models.
I've even tried an RG2570 (prestige), which felt kinda crappy cos the frets seemed wierdly higher than usual, and mind you, this guitar was well kept after, just not professionally set up or something.
So its all up to preference really, try em both out, take the guitar which 'feels' better in your hands, pickups are a secondary factor when it comes to choosing guitars, not as important as the "feel" of the guitar IMO.