Dear UG.

Is there a difference between keys? Lets say A minor and B minor. I mean, the relationship between the chord is the same, its just the pitches that are different.

But i mean, is there a difference between keys? i mean, you could say that E is more metal and A is more classic rock. That D is more happy and so on.

Why im asking this is that i´m going to start songwriting, and i guess the best way to start is to choose a key. and then build it up from the chords in that key.
But i have no idea which key too choose...

Well.. Thank you for your responses
There was a whole thread on this a while back, I'll see if I can find it.

Yep, found it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335932

Have a quick skim through that, should help you out a bit.

To give you my answer though, I think when it comes to guitar there is a difference, but it's inherently due to the fingering positions and timbre of the strings. Even the same notes on different strings are going to sound different.

For example, play this:

------3--
--3-5----
---------
---------
---------
---------
Note the timbre, then play the same notes, moving up the fretboard, and towards the lower strings like this:

---------
------8--
--7-9----
---------
---------
---------

------------
------------
--------12--
--12-14-----
------------
------------

------------
------------
------------
--------17--
--17-19-----
------------
Note how the timbre changes every time.

Aside from timbre, as long as you don't have perfect absolute pitch, then you shouldn't be able to tell a big difference between keys.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 23, 2010,
There is an argument to say that there is. There will be very slight differences in the sound of different keys because the notes are at different frequencies.

However

In a songwriting context you should use the key that suites the incorporation of all the instruments used. A simple example would be that you wouldn't play a song on your guitar in the key of C# when your voice works better in the key of G.

If there is just one instrument, don't worry about the key to start with. Write something that you like to sound of and then work out the key to give you some guideine towards writing the rest of the song.
It's been proven that different parts of the brain are used for different keys within the frontal cortex (a bit sketchy on this part). I assume that this is down to the different timbre and overtones created. That is why we feel the difference.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

The only difference in my opinion is that in the world of guitarists, different keys are chosen based on playability, timbre, availability of open strings and vocal range (if applicable).
Yes, there a difference between keys. Guitar is a nice instrument. You say A minor and B minor. The chord is the same, but just the pitches that are different. If you want to start songwriting than it is so necessary to learn all thing about keys and music. After learn music you can easily understand what you choose. There will be very slight differences in the sound of different keys because the notes are at different frequencies.
Yes there is a difference between the keys. Different keys are chosen based on playability, timbre, availability of open strings and vocal range. There are different opinion on every keys.
Genius is an immense capacity for taking trouble.