I'm sorry guys but I'm about to design and order my Warmoth body but lately I've been having cross thoughts about which wood to use for the body.

It's my first build and I was gonna get an Alder body to get a Strat like sound with a SSH config (I'd use fender noiseless and a SD SH14 in the bridge).

Then I thought about Mahogany and the Zakk Wylde LP sound (I listen to him a lot).. I know it's darker sounding but I dont know which pups would fit a SSH config (is SSH ok for a mahogany body?)..

I play classic rock and some metal but not much. I had been ruling out mahogany because I dont know which pups would get me good cleans (the kind of sound a Neck/middle combo gives in a strat) Any way to make a mahogany as versatile as an alder?

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
Last edited by haceteunosmates at Jul 23, 2010,
The short answer is no
Mahogany is on its certain range, and does it well ( i largely prefer black korina however)
Alder is meant to be all around, but for a specific ranged sound you should go for that wood

What you could do is take a mahogany with a maple top, and some sort of higher ranged wood for a neck
then it wouldn't be sucha limited area
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Quote by AXmichigan
The short answer is no
Mahogany is on its certain range, and does it well ( i largely prefer black korina however)
Alder is meant to be all around, but for a specific ranged sound you should go for that wood

What you could do is take a mahogany with a maple top, and some sort of higher ranged wood for a neck
then it wouldn't be sucha limited area

I didnt mention I definitely want a quilt maple top. Does that matter?

I just read in another forum a short sentence that made me think.. some guy said it's easier to fat the tone than to make it thin.. and it's true.. if the magohany isnt that versatile I'm pretty much screwed with the cleans and highs.. and with alder I could work it out with the tone knob/EQ..

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277379

Read. Learn.

Alder = all around tone. Equal highs mids lows.

Mahogany = warm and full sounding.

Maple = bright with good attack and bite to it.

Mahogany back + Maple Top = warm and full AND bright with attack.

I just read in another forum a short sentence that made me think.. some guy said it's easier to fat the tone than to make it thin.. and it's true.. if the magohany isnt that versatile I'm pretty much screwed with the cleans and highs.. and with alder I could work it out with the tone knob/EQ..

Yes it is true. But why you would want to thin your tone out is beyond me... You're absolutely not screwed with cleans and highs if you use mahogany. If you use mahogany alone, you won't have as much highs as if you used alder. If you use mahogany with a maple top, you'll be fine: ZW's Les Paul was mahogany back, maple top, mahogany neck, and ebony fretboard.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Quote by Copaman
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277379

Read. Learn.

Alder = all around tone. Equal highs mids lows.

Mahogany = warm and full sounding.

Maple = bright with good attack and bite to it.

Mahogany back + Maple Top = warm and full AND bright with attack.

Yes it is true. But why you would want to thin your tone out is beyond me... You're absolutely not screwed with cleans and highs if you use mahogany. If you use mahogany alone, you won't have as much highs as if you used alder. If you use mahogany with a maple top, you'll be fine: ZW's Les Paul was mahogany back, maple top, mahogany neck, and ebony fretboard.

Thank you very much for the info

Quote by a_hub10

Quote by CraftyTrickster
Last edited by haceteunosmates at Jul 23, 2010,
Will the same pickups that I was going to use on the alder body work on the mahogany+maple top just as fine? Or should I choose other single coils?

Sorry for double post.

Quote by a_hub10

Quote by CraftyTrickster
Look, I don't know about most other people's experiences on here, but I've built quite a few guitars, and I've never noticed any tonal characteristics in any different wood in electrics.

Pick the one that looks the best to you. If you're going to paint it, go with weight, Mahogany is usually heavier than Ash I believe.

To get those certain tones, put your time and research into pickups and amp selection. Wood is the absolute last thing I would look into. I've had the same pickup in 2 guitars, one made from mahogany and one made from ash. It sounds pretty identical to me. Both same scale lengths, both hard tails and so on.

Of course, this is just my opinion. You can have 45,000 teenagers who haven't built much more than a small lego set inform you that tone wood makes the guitar.
Quote by ohspyro89
Look, I don't know about most other people's experiences on here, but I've built quite a few guitars, and I've never noticed any tonal characteristics in any different wood in electrics.

Pick the one that looks the best to you. If you're going to paint it, go with weight, Mahogany is usually heavier than Ash I believe.

To get those certain tones, put your time and research into pickups and amp selection. Wood is the absolute last thing I would look into. I've had the same pickup in 2 guitars, one made from mahogany and one made from ash. It sounds pretty identical to me. Both same scale lengths, both hard tails and so on.

Of course, this is just my opinion. You can have 45,000 teenagers who haven't built much more than a small lego set inform you that tone wood makes the guitar.

That's interesting and right to the point. I like it.

Quote by a_hub10

Quote by CraftyTrickster
I find ash way heavier then mahogany. That's all i really want to add to this topic
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I would argue the opposite; I've found wood effects your tone much more than your hardware or electronics do (not counting your amp), and especially with Warmoth builds which are all bolt-ons, I have found the neck shaft wood and the fretboard effect the tone more than anything else; the fretboard effects the tone more with the Warmoth Pro construction and the neck shaft wood effects the tone more with the Vintage Modified construction.
Also, the maple top won't make any difference to the tone if it's just a veneer, which it usually is with Warmoth other than for a few of the chambered or carved top bodies. What body style are you going for?

Either way, I would suggest you think about a middle-ground wood like limba (korina) or koa, or you could go for a brighter/balanced wood but use chambered/weight relieved construction which will add depth and thickness to the tone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I would argue the opposite; I've found wood effects your tone much more than your hardware or electronics do (not counting your amp), and especially with Warmoth builds which are all bolt-ons, I have found the neck shaft wood and the fretboard effect the tone more than anything else; the fretboard effects the tone more with the Warmoth Pro construction and the neck shaft wood effects the tone more with the Vintage Modified construction.
Also, the maple top won't make any difference to the tone if it's just a veneer, which it usually is with Warmoth other than for a few of the chambered or carved top bodies. What body style are you going for?

Either way, I would suggest you think about a middle-ground wood like limba (korina) or koa, or you could go for a brighter/balanced wood but use chambered/weight relieved construction which will add depth and thickness to the tone.

Well I'm definitely going for a carved soloist body. The thing is.. I play from Pearl Jam to In Flames.. so versatility is a must.. At first I was going to get a alder+quilt maple top body, but then I thought that it would be too bright so I thought about mahogany+maple top.. both cases with a maple+rosewood fretboard. What do you think?

Also, some pickup manufacturers offer sound samples of their pickups on different guitars. If I chose the mahogany body, I should check the samples made with a LP right? That'd be the closest I could get.

Quote by a_hub10

Quote by CraftyTrickster
Last edited by haceteunosmates at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by haceteunosmates
Well I'm definitely going for a carved soloist body. At first I was going to get a alder+quilt maple top body, but then I thought that it would be too bright so I thought about mahogany+maple top.. both cases with a maple+rosewood fretboard. What do you think?

Also, some pickup manufacturers offer sound samples of their pickups on different guitars. If I chose the mahogany body, I should check the samples made with a LP right? That'd be the closest I could get.

The LP will have a different tone unless you're making an LP. LPs are quite heavy, which adds to their overall tone. Along with their mahogany neck.

With pickups, I would just get some custom made. It'll cost a bit more, but you'll get exactly what you want, and you won't have to go through sound clips and wondering if that'll be the same tone you'll get.

CorduroyEW can help ya out too if you need help with pickups.

Also, if you're planning a maple+Rosewood neck, then alder/quilt should even it all out. You have a lot of factors you have to factor into the overall tone you're going for. Your amp, pedals, EQing of the amp. Then of course, pickups, wood type, etc.
Quote by Entheogenic
The LP will have a different tone unless you're making an LP. LPs are quite heavy, which adds to their overall tone. Along with their mahogany neck.

With pickups, I would just get some custom made. It'll cost a bit more, but you'll get exactly what you want, and you won't have to go through sound clips and wondering if that'll be the same tone you'll get.

CorduroyEW can help ya out too if you need help with pickups.

Also, if you're planning a maple+Rosewood neck, then alder/quilt should even it all out. You have a lot of factors you have to factor into the overall tone you're going for. Your amp, pedals, EQing of the amp. Then of course, pickups, wood type, etc.

Ok thank you. Can you point me in the right direction for buying locking tuners? Brand, etc.

Quote by a_hub10

Quote by CraftyTrickster
I've found Alder to be on the bright side, with lows a little lacking. Great if you're going for a strat sound. Mahogany has a lot of bottom end and low mids, not as good of a clean sound, but decent. Have you looked into something like basswood? I've found it to be a good, all around tonewood.
I've got a basswood guitar right now. I like it but between that and the classic strat sound I prefer the strat (=alder) sound so I'd get that.

Do you know anything about locking tuners? I dont know which to buy.

Quote by a_hub10

Quote by CraftyTrickster
I'd say, Mahogany with a Quilted top, maple neck and rosewoood board. 25" scale length (nice, in between), and get some regular strat singles for the neck and mid positions, while you use a fairly high output pickup (something 14k and up) for the bridge humbucker, and have a 5 position switch that splits the coil of the humbucker in the 2 position (or is it the 4 position?)

To be honest, most strat tones are from those blended positions, or the neck pickup by itself, so you won't have to worry about hte split humbie sound BY ITSELF, but for the humbucker, something high output is a great choice for metal. You can use the next position (split and blended with the middle pickup) for stuff like Pearl Jam, and so on and so forth.

Suggestions for the pickup would be a Seymour Duncan JB or Custom Custom/Custom 5.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
I'd say, Mahogany with a Quilted top, maple neck and rosewoood board. 25" scale length (nice, in between), and get some regular strat singles for the neck and mid positions, while you use a fairly high output pickup (something 14k and up) for the bridge humbucker, and have a 5 position switch that splits the coil of the humbucker in the 2 position (or is it the 4 position?)

To be honest, most strat tones are from those blended positions, or the neck pickup by itself, so you won't have to worry about hte split humbie sound BY ITSELF, but for the humbucker, something high output is a great choice for metal. You can use the next position (split and blended with the middle pickup) for stuff like Pearl Jam, and so on and so forth.

Suggestions for the pickup would be a Seymour Duncan JB or Custom Custom/Custom 5.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. In the bridge I was thinking about the Custom 5 SH14. I think the guys from ACDC use them. It has a warm fatty tone.

Quote by a_hub10

Quote by CraftyTrickster